Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Surfview cottage Ami serial.. Leah is my friend IRL
  Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:28 pm
Genius wrote:
Wow!
The writing is really really not bad. And I love the gossip and scandals! Lashon hara with fictional characters is a treat. I guess I'm "a type".

I guess your bad review is because you're angry that the story didn't finish?

I do think it was written in a very poor way and it makes a difference.

Chava was so confused. Had Shalom actually betrayed her? She had no energy left to think. It was lunchtime, yet she had no appetite to eat anything. Instead, she went to take a nap.

When she awoke, she checked her phone and it showed 8 missed phone calls, and several texts from her mother, " Chava, please call me right away..."

Or..

Rikki kept checking every car by the window if Yitzy showed up. Finally, when it was 15 min to candle lighting, it dawned on her that he may not be coming after all. She went inside all hurt. How can he do this to her? The kids were fighting and she found herself running out of patience. At that moment a message came from Leah "I'm having an amaaazing time. Thanks for taking my kids. Enjoy your Shabbos!!"

I'm far from a writer, but these stories might take imagination, but not much skill. Anyways, I am pretty sure Chaya Gross is a pen name and she is following these threads. I hope she will improve the writing style, as the stories certainly kept us going...

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:31 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:
Not necessarily. I agree. As a writer and someone who enjoyed sophisticated literature work, she does lack that professional touch.

There isn’t much art in the actual writing.
She has a great imagination but for a magazine, being “really not bad”, (your words) simply isn’t enough.

They reject so many articles. The editors certainly can do better.

No they can’t do better. It’s the AMi. It’s like the Jewish version of the star or enquirer. Basically a rag.
I buy it because my kids like the aim, and I like Dina Newman.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 11:35 pm
Genius wrote:
Wow!
The writing is really really not bad. And I love the gossip and scandals! Lashon hara with fictional characters is a treat. I guess I'm "a type".

I guess your bad review is because you're angry that the story didn't finish?

You’re kidding right? Are you in hs also.
I’m sorry, I don’t have the interest in pursuing a conversation about a silly serial in a magazine. “Bad reviews” I didn’t realize this site had reviews. This whole conversation is making me laugh.

Genius

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 7:08 am
amother Lightpink wrote:
You’re kidding right? Are you in hs also.
I’m sorry, I don’t have the interest in pursuing a conversation about a silly serial in a magazine. “Bad reviews” I didn’t realize this site had reviews. This whole conversation is making me laugh.

Tearing down an author in public because you believe her writing is not up to your polished English level is in bad taste. If you believe that the editors can do better, why not write a letter to them directly? Or better yet, don't buy it.

Chloe22

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 10:17 am
I liked the story. It was the first thing I went to in Ami Living. I'm glad there's an Epilogue to the story in the Sukkos issue.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:13 am
I loved the story. I would just want the ending to be a little more drawn out like the story was. More back n forth like In a real life. Even after cutting off coming to a good ending and having everything fall into place slower. I also like an easy reading, writing style. This was easy to read. Shakespeare writing style would be too sophisticated for me to read.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:19 am
What’s the point of ending and then 2 weeks later deciding to continue? I don’t get it…

Rubies

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 11:20 am
Editors aren't dumb. They know there's a large clientele that would appreciate the easy reading.

Rubies

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:05 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:
What’s the point of ending and then 2 weeks later deciding to continue? I don’t get it…

Sukkos and pesach are deadlines for serials. The end. Countless serials have been stopped short with a botched ending to meet this deadline.

My assumption is that these issues are bought by the non-weekly people and in order to rope them in, they start new serials.

I hope I'm wrong because if you're an editor reading this, know that those who don't buy, don't buy. They'll borrow or get them used from a friend.

amother
Heather

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:15 pm
Rubies wrote:
Sukkos and pesach are deadlines for serials. The end. Countless serials have been stopped short with a botched ending to meet this deadline.

My assumption is that these issues are bought by the non-weekly people and in order to rope them in, they start new serials.

I hope I'm wrong because if you're an editor reading this, know that those who don't buy, don't buy. They'll borrow or get them used from a friend.

Why can't they start the new serial before ending the old one?

Rubies

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:17 pm
amother Heather wrote:
Why can't they start the new serial before ending the old one?

Space

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:28 pm
Rubies wrote:
Space

the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise...
Sorry!! Couldn't resist Laugh

Rubies

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 12:32 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise...
Sorry!! Couldn't resist Laugh

LOL

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:50 pm
Genius wrote:
Tearing down an author in public because you believe her writing is not up to your polished English level is in bad taste. If you believe that the editors can do better, why not write a letter to them directly? Or better yet, don't buy it.

This is such a ridiculous waste of time after this, I’m out of this conversation.
People commented on her poor writing. I agreed with them. It has nothing to do with my “high standards” I actually don’t excel at literature or grammar. I’m more of a science math person. But her writing is undeniably poor. That doesn’t mean it’s not interesting.Ike I said, she caters to a certain type- I don’t want to name them culturally because people will get insulted
I’m sorry if it hurt your feelings. She’s probably your friend, or relative, otherwise you wouldn’t take it so personally. Not sure why your harping on this so much. I agreed with the others who said she writes like a HS student.
Even for a HS student, her writing is poor.

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Oct 07 2022, 1:58 pm
Genius wrote:

And to add to your reading comprehension. I’m not “writing to the Ami” because I said, the Ami is a rag magazine. Most of their writing is poor. Their editorial boards standards are pathetically low. Everyone knows that hashkafically and professionally you can’t compare it to the mishpacha.
I already said I buy it for my kids and I like a couple of authors. I can also read interesting poorly written gossip if I want.
Do you really think most people purchase the Ami because they are pursuing high quality literature. Do you think the Ami would agree with you that I shouldn’t buy it because some of the writers are more “tabloid” level then high quality authors.
They’re happy to take my money, I would think they would tell you to keep your advice to yourself.

Super2020

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 3:04 pm
What was the epilogue?? Didnt have a chance yet to buy the Ami the store in Israel I go to said they’re getting it tomorrow…

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 4:54 pm
Super2020 wrote:
What was the epilogue?? Didnt have a chance yet to buy the Ami the store in Israel I go to said they’re getting it tomorrow…

Yup, epilogue- normal ending
All would have been fine had they published the ending 2 weeks ago.
Or at least indicate that there would be an ending following up.
Disappointed that they wrote THE END 2 weeks ago and out of the blue wrote an epilogue.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 5:52 pm
Genius wrote:

Noone is 'tearing down an author'. People are discussing a publicly written serial that many were disappointed with. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

My opinion on the epilogue where Rikki feels compelled to justify herself to Leah, is not advisable for anyone IRL that has or had a toxic friend. It shows you haven't disconnected fully.

Eisheschayil123

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 6:03 pm
Maybe the Ami editors read our chat and that everyone was unhappy with their abrupt ending so they decided to do an epilogue to satisfy the imas! Batting Eyelashes
Seriously speaking though, I enjoyed the serial, and I feel the topic is important. I felt that the epilogue was very scripted and they just wrote what they thought we wanted to hear!

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Oct 08 2022, 6:39 pm
I thought the ending was fine.

I like good writing, but I also like easy, light reading. I don't get the Ami, but I do get it second hand, and it was the first thing I turned to. This is an important topic, and I think she showed Rikki's dilemma very well. I think Leah was fleshed out pretty well. I didnt get much of a sense of Yitzi's character, aside from him being a victim of rikki and Leah's toxic friendship.

I didn't find this story dragged out as much as chava and shalom. It was good that it ended when it did. I much prefer this style of writing than the over the top drama. But it was definitely interesting, and see how much it pulled everyone here.
Page 11 of 12   Previous  1  2  3 10  11  12  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room