Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Please tell me I don't even know what (pro vaccine only)
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 5:59 pm
I gave my baby 2 shots yesterday. Mmr and I don't know what else. As part of the well visit the dr took a cbc. The white count was 18.3. Baby was acting perfectly fine. I questioned the dr about giving vaccines with this kind of number. Dr told me its viral and no issue at all. Baby was fine all day yesterday. Baby came out with fever now more than 24 hrs later. I'm panicking. I don't know if I'll trust my dr again unless you tell me otherwise.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I gave my baby 2 shots yesterday. Mmr and I don't know what else. As part of the well visit the dr took a cbc. The white count was 18.3. Baby was acting perfectly fine. I questioned the dr about giving vaccines with this kind of number. Dr told me its viral and no issue at all. Baby was fine all day yesterday. Baby came out with fever now more than 24 hrs later. I'm panicking. I don't know if I'll trust my dr again unless you tell me otherwise.

I believe that fever 24-48 hours after me is considered within the range of normal side effects. It’s been a while since I’ve had a little person though, so I could be wrong. Refua shelaima!!

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:02 pm
If you hadn't given the vaccine and your baby showed signs of virus yesterday and then spiked a fever today, would you be surprised? Keep close watch, but don't panic.

amother
Eggplant

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:03 pm
It is normal to get reactions to vaccines. I would never give them again when my child wasn't feeling well. My dc got the mmr when he wasn't feeling great and ended up with fever and a terrible face rash for a week. You are the mom. If you aren't comfortable with something go with your gut and don't do it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:04 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
If you hadn't given the vaccine and your baby showed signs of virus yesterday and then spiked a fever today, would you be surprised? Keep close watch, but don't panic.

No. But that wasn't the case. Baby was acting fine yesterday and most of today. Who said it's viral? 18.3 is pretty high. Maybe it is something more and the vaccine will just aggravate it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:05 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
It is normal to get reactions to vaccines. I would never give them again when my child wasn't feeling well. My dc got the mmr when he wasn't feeling great and ended up with fever and a terrible face rash for a week. You are the mom. If you aren't comfortable with something go with your gut and don't do it.

My gut instinct was telling me I'm wrong. I don't know what I didn't put my foot down. Huge mistake I made.

TravelHearter

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:06 pm
I know this is off topic but my kids have never gotten a cbc done as part of their well visit. Or at all.
I do know that low fever is normal after a vaccine.

amother
Springgreen

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
No. But that wasn't the case. Baby was acting fine yesterday and most of today. Who said it's viral? 18.3 is pretty high. Maybe it is something more and the vaccine will just aggravate it?

Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood or misspoke.

I understand that your baby was acting normal. But I understood that the blood test indicated she was fighting something viral, according to your doctor. Is that not correct?

amother
Navy

My pediatrician doesn't give shots if there's anything going on, viral or otherwise. But in general a fever after 24 h is normal and a sign of immune response.

amother
OP

I know it's normal to get reactions to vaccines. 2 things. 1. I thought the fever has to come out within 24 hrs. 2. The fact that the white count was over 18 should've been enough for me to say "I'll come back next week"

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:08 pm
amother [ Springgreen ] wrote:
Sorry. Maybe I misunderstood or misspoke.

I understand that your baby was acting normal. But I understood that the blood test indicated she was fighting something viral, according to your doctor. Is that not correct?

Yes very correct. The white count and behavior didn't match. A white count of 18.3 is always viral. It's very often bacterial.

amother
Trillium

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:08 pm
My kids never have any blood work done as part of well checkups. Sometimes my babies had fever a day or 2 following shots and sometimes they were totally fine. I wouldn't overthink this. Don't bother with blood work next time- too much info to nitpick in my opinion.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:11 pm
amother [ Trillium ] wrote:
My kids never have any blood work done as part of well checkups. Sometimes my babies had fever a day or 2 following shots and sometimes they were totally fine. I wouldn't overthink this. Don't bother with blood work next time- too much info to nitpick in my opinion.

My dr insisted. Who am I to know better? A cbc in my view was important if the dr said so. Now I'm not calm.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it's normal to get reactions to vaccines. 2 things. 1. I thought the fever has to come out within 24 hrs. 2. The fact that the white count was over 18 should've been enough for me to say "I'll come back next week"

No, a response after 24h is also normal.

As to your second point, this is a good policy for the future. Beating yourself up over the past is not helpful though...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:13 pm
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
No, a response after 24h is also normal.

As to your second point, this is a good policy for the future. Beating yourself up over the past is not helpful though...

I'm not beating myself up I'm just nervous. That's all. I hope baby will be OK.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:14 pm
In my experience doctors push giving vaccines at well visits because they’re worried you won’t come back otherwise. When I asked my doctor he rattled off a bunch of statistics that essentially said it’s nearly always ok, even with a mild cold, to vaccinate. He would only recommend pushing off if the child is more sick than that.

It seems like you’re second guessing your decision and that just means you’ll choose differently next time. Iyh your child will be ok. The fever is likely a reaction to the vaccine.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:16 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
In my experience doctors push giving vaccines at well visits because they’re worried you won’t come back otherwise. When I asked my doctor he rattled off a bunch of statistics that essentially said it’s nearly always ok, even with a mild cold, to vaccinate. He would only recommend pushing off if the child is more sick than that.

It seems like you’re second guessing your decision and that just means you’ll choose differently next time. Iyh your child will be ok. The fever is likely a reaction to the vaccine.

Well that's very wrong. It's causing me to loose trust in my dr. Because it's really on the mother not the dr whether or not she'll come back for shots. You bet I'll be careful next time.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:17 pm
And you'd think this is my first baby. I thought I have the worlds experience. LOL

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Well that's very wrong. It's causing me to loose trust in my dr. Because it's really on the mother not the dr whether or not she'll come back for shots. You bet I'll be careful next time.
From talking to my doctor it’s more that he doesn’t trust the mother to come back and he sees the risk of having the child unvaccinated outweighing the risk of giving the vaccine when there’s a mild cold. But if I assure him I’ll come back he’s fine pushing it off. I think it’s a matter of getting to know your pediatrician and their thought process.

amother
Stonewash

Post Tue, Jul 26 2022, 6:27 pm
Honestly I did think it was your first baby. I think youre being way too dramatic and nervous about this. If you have anxiety, that makes sense but if not, I don’t know why you’re getting yourself all worked up. It’s nothing. Your baby wasn’t feeling so great today. Hopefully tomorrow she’ll be feeling better. The end. (And I say all this as a very vaccine cautious person, but still, vaccines are safe! There’s the BEST way to do things, and then there’s the good way to do things. None of this is “bad” or “dangerous”.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics