Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Chapman Lake for Pesach -leads

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:07 am
Has anyone ever gone for Pesach? Is it too cold to enjoy?
Is there a way to pay someone to kasher/turnover?
What are the prices like considering its not summer? What will shopping for pesach products be like/ will I need to shlep from NY?
How would we find a rental?

My sister has a summer home there and we are thinking of going with her and my parents.
I know its early but there are incredibly cheap tickets from Israel where we live and I want to book now but I think its to much for my mother to host pesach - I'd rather host her.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 9:59 am
Weather varies from beautiful to very cold-not something you can predict at this point.
If your sister lives there she needs to reach out on the chapman lake whattsapp group for recommendations/leads to rentals and prices.

Sorry, don't know rental prices.
You can get most or all pesach products in Scranton-though NY will generally be cheaper.
Has your sister gone for pesach previously? My impression is that there is not always a minyan there for pesach, though I coud be wrong about that. (There usually are minyanim for shavuos and sukkos).

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 4:13 pm
shanie5 wrote:
Weather varies from beautiful to very cold-not something you can predict at this point.
If your sister lives there she needs to reach out on the chapman lake whattsapp group for recommendations/leads to rentals and prices.

Sorry, don't know rental prices.
You can get most or all pesach products in Scranton-though NY will generally be cheaper.
Has your sister gone for pesach previously? My impression is that there is not always a minyan there for pesach, though I coud be wrong about that. (There usually are minyanim for shavuos and sukkos).

My sister has a house she rents every summer doesn't own
I haven't run it by my sister yet - wanted to gather info. Minyan I am less worried about we are 8 between the two families and my father, so we'd just need another two...

The idea of schlepping food from New York after an international flight is sounding less appealing, as is the idea of kashering after the flight....
I cant come more then a few days before pesach because of work

Where can I rent an affordable min 5 bedroom 3 bathroom house within a three hour dr of Brooklyn with activities for the kids and an option for my sister to rent a house nearby as well?

I don't want to spend more the 10-15k on the house, we still need to pay for flights, a car, food, activities.

My kids are low key- hikes, swimming, and fishing are enough.
But the do need something to do...

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 4:31 pm
It's early yes but you are smart to think of planning already now!
Early bird catches the worm Smile

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 4:46 pm
Even if you have 8 and manage to get 2 more, you'd need to find a Sefer Torah unless there's an existing organized minyan that has one.

Many families do what you're describing in Sandbridge in Virginia Beach, where you can gorgeous houses on the beach for much less than your budget. But it's 6-7 hours from NY.

Perhaps you could look into Tannersville NY and find a place there. It's about 3 hours from NY and will definitely have minyan over Pesach.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:23 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
It's early yes but you are smart to think of planning already now!
Early bird catches the worm Smile

Its super early but my parents are older and this is going to be complicated logistically. besides flights for Pesach are affordable now but if they go up by too much my budget for the house will shrink dramatically.

Doctor Ima can you give me more info about Sandbridge, where would I find house rentals, can I pay someone to turn over and kasher, what is the flight from nyc like.
My parents did go to florida recently and they where fine but I was looking to avoid another flight for us (another 200$ a person adds up, and its more travel) but there are very cheap flights from Washington and my sister can bring my parents, so if the travel from the airport is reasonable I would look into it....

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:33 pm
doctorima wrote:
Even if you have 8 and manage to get 2 more, you'd need to find a Sefer Torah unless there's an existing organized minyan that has one.

Many families do what you're describing in Sandbridge in Virginia Beach, where you can gorgeous houses on the beach for much less than your budget. But it's 6-7 hours from NY.

Perhaps you could look into Tannersville NY and find a place there. It's about 3 hours from NY and will definitely have minyan over Pesach.

More questions about Sandbridge: What is the kosher food situation?

Would we have to stop in baltimore on the way down and shlep food with us?

Where are minyanim - how do I find houses in the vicinity? Again my father is not young so it would need to be within 10-15 min walking distance

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 7:25 pm
There is a house in scranton that might fit your bill re size. Not sure about a second house. If you want, pm me and I can give you the name and number of the owner. I know its about $500 a night. Well within your budget.

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:31 pm
OP imo this doesn’t sound like a great plan. It sounds like it still of holes and will have many challenges

doctorima

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 9:34 pm
For Sandbridge people rent from either Sandbridge Realty or Siebert Realty, and a handful from Sandbridge Blue. You can get a 5 bed / 3 bath house for well under 5k, even down to 3k. There are much larger ones with amazing amenities for 10k+ but many available for far less. I believe the flight from NYC is just over an hour.

I think the local Chabad will do basic kashering of the kitchen for a fee, but they will not turn over your entire house for you so that you just walk in and unpack. Similarly, I think a couple people got some catering from Norfolk and Silver Spring, but most people bring it all with them.

It's an amazing option if it works for your family situation but it's a LOT of work. Maybe if you can get the house for way under what you were budgeting you could use the difference to buy takeout and even bring a cleaning lady with you (some families do). The minyanim are arranged in private houses that move around each year, but if you rent a house between 3300-3600 you'll definitely be within 15 minutes of one or more minyanim.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 2:50 am
amother [ Cherry ] wrote:
OP imo this doesn’t sound like a great plan. It sounds like it still of holes and will have many challenges

LOL that's why I am trying to plan so early - so we can find a nice plan that works for everyone.

SO it sounds like Sandbridge is out

I am leaning now towards renting a house in monsey or lakewood (close to klp food) and paying a concierge fee. I am having trouble finding something in budget - the flights I am looking at are from April 3 - April 18 so 16 days - I cant spend more then $700 a day because there are additional cleaning and koshering fee's , and I need to find a place where my sister can rent a place in walking distance for part of yom tov, and ....

Really any place in close walking distance to a minyan, with a house for between 10-15k, in 3 hour driving distance to brooklyn, with a master with a shower on the ground floor, and a place nearby that my sister can rent would work....

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:23 am
Bumping

Does anyone have any info on renting a house in Deal?

I think it would work weather and kosher amenities whise and is unyeshvish enough for my parents and sister but close to my brother in LKWD

I started looking on VRBO and Airbnb and there aren't too many options?

Any other ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics