Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Exterminator, who pays?
1  2  Next

momofcuties1

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:04 pm
Who pays for a exterminator ( tenant or landlord)

Last edited by momofcuties1 on Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

HH613

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:11 pm
I thought by the title of your post you were looking for an exterminator that pays YOU when they work 😂

Not sure the answer to your question though sorry

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:26 pm
Depends on location.

In general the landlord pays in most cities. They are responsible for vermin infestation of all kinds.

momofcuties1

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:27 pm
How about bed bugs that came from downstairs neighbor

Java

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:35 pm
Landlord, unless the infestation was somehow your fault

cupcake123

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 6:59 pm
Landlord

tweety1

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 7:13 pm
As a landlord myself I pay it.

shev

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 7:40 pm
Im a tenant and I paid for it.

momofcuties1

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:06 pm
shev wrote:
Im a tenant and I paid for it.

Even if the suspected reason why I got it is from my neighbor

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:12 pm
momofcuties1 wrote:
Even if the suspected reason why I got it is from my neighbor

Have you requested that the landlord hire an exterminator for bedbugs?

In most jurisdictions it is the responsibility of the landlord to provide a bedbug free environment.

It would be difficult to prove how brought bedbugs in just as it would be difficult to prove who brought cockroaches in. You can live in a roach free place and bring one home in a grocery bag.

In both California and New York it is clearly the landlord's responsibility

New York City lists bedbugs as a Class B violation. This means they are considered hazardous. The landlord has 30 days to correct this problem. The landlord must get rid of the infestation and keep the affected units from getting infested again.

number

Post Wed, Jul 27 2022, 8:21 pm
Amarante wrote:
In both California and New York it is clearly the landlord's responsibility.

NJ as well. I’ve rented from some very stingy landlords but they paid, because they were required to do so by law.

overworked

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:27 am
I just went thru bed bugs I didnt think twice to ask my landlord to pay for it it most come along from me when I was in israel for lag boemer non of my other neighbors had it

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:49 am
I've never had a landlord that paid for an exterminator. We always paid as tenants.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 5:32 am
So DD had this issue when she moved into an apartment in Be'er Sheva last year.
At first the landlord didn't want to pay but after asking around, apparently the way it works is that if the problem 'comes with the apartment' and is not the result of the tenants living there (as was the case here since they had just moved in) then the landlord is expected to pay and indeed he did.
Thank goodness the problem did not recur but if it did I'm not sure who would have paid for the exterminator's sequential visits.

ETA - problem was roaches here, not bedbugs

rachelli66

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 5:51 am
Near Jerusalem area.
We pay for our apartments.
The bldg. Vaad Habayit pays for public areas, the stairwell, around the sewers. front grass area.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:22 am
etky wrote:
So DD had this issue when she moved into an apartment in Be'er Sheva last year.
At first the landlord didn't want to pay but after asking around, apparently the way it works is that if the problem 'comes with the apartment' and is not the result of the tenants living there (as was the case here since they had just moved in) then the landlord is expected to pay and indeed he did.
Thank goodness the problem did not recur but if it did I'm not sure who would have paid for the exterminator's sequential visits.

ETA - problem was roaches here, not bedbugs

I know nothing about Israel landlord tenant law obviously LOL

However this seems like a really strange way of dealing with roach infestation because in my experience roaches aren't brought in by people but are endemic in the plumbing and interiors of multi -family residences.

I have lived in the same high rise for many years and when I first moved in there would be periodic infestations of roaches that had nothing to do with me. The building would call the exterminator and he would take care of it and they would go away for awhile or at least not invade my kitchen.

Then extermination methods changed and they no longer simply killing the roaches but using something that they carried back to the nests and rendered them impotent so they couldn't breed and I haven't seen a roach in literally years.

It is kind of interesting why we have this whole system of landlord tenant laws which traditionally favored the landlords significantly. It was structured as a way to avoid the Catholic church's prohibition against usury - and we ALL know the anti-Semitic tropes revolving around Jews as the evil usurer - Shylock being the usurer of mythic (or at least Shakesperean) fame.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:47 am
Amarante wrote:
I know nothing about Israel landlord tenant law obviously LOL

However this seems like a really strange way of dealing with roach infestation because in my experience roaches aren't brought in by people but are endemic in the plumbing and interiors of multi -family residences.

I have lived in the same high rise for many years and when I first moved in there would be periodic infestations of roaches that had nothing to do with me. The building would call the exterminator and he would take care of it and they would go away for awhile or at least not invade my kitchen.

Then extermination methods changed and they no longer simply killing the roaches but using something that they carried back to the nests and rendered them impotent so they couldn't breed and I haven't seen a roach in literally years.

It is kind of interesting why we have this whole system of landlord tenant laws which traditionally favored the landlords significantly. It was structured as a way to avoid the Catholic church's prohibition against usury - and we ALL know the anti-Semitic tropes revolving around Jews as the evil usurer - Shylock being the usurer of mythic (or at least Shakesperean) fame.

So, not law - just expectations in that particular rental market.
The previous tenants (3 male students) were slobs and had left uneaten food and crumbs all over the kitchen, which was filthy. They were supposed to have cleaned the apartment but didn't and the owner hadn't inspected it before giving back their deposit. The neighbors claimed that there wasn't a roach problem in the building itself, but go know...
B'H the problem didn't recur while they were there - it's been almost a year now.

Amarante

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:12 pm
etky wrote:
So, not law - just expectations in that particular rental market.
The previous tenants (3 male students) were slobs and had left uneaten food and crumbs all over the kitchen, which was filthy. They were supposed to have cleaned the apartment but didn't and the owner hadn't inspected it before giving back their deposit. The neighbors claimed that there wasn't a roach problem in the building itself, but go know...
B'H the problem didn't recur while they were there - it's been almost a year now.

Not to belabor it but aren't expectations shaped by regulations governing landlord-tenants.

I have an "expectation" that a landlord in New York City will have to comply with the regulations governing rentals.

Left to their own devices, many landlords would attempt to get away with all kinds of things. Heck in NYC many landlords try to get away with not providing legally required stuff.

etky

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 12:30 pm
Amarante wrote:
Not to belabor it but aren't expectations shaped by regulations governing landlord-tenants.

I have an "expectation" that a landlord in New York City will have to comply with the regulations governing rentals.

Left to their own devices, many landlords would attempt to get away with all kinds of things. Heck in NYC many landlords try to get away with not providing legally required stuff.

So these type of issues are not regulated here.
Certain issues, like this one, that are not covered in the contract, fall in a grey area - meaning that landlord and tenant will have to negotiate.

momofcuties1

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 2:51 pm
Called two different exterminators for bed bugs, if you had bed bugs how many times did the exterminator do treatment? One said once once said three times..
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics