Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can’t buy food gas tuition Lakewood
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Miriams

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everything is going up!! Food is so expensive. I have no money for food for shabbos!! It used to be $100 on Thursday for shabbos food. Now it’s for sure $200 for basics. We don’t buy take out or fancy salmon, meat, cakes or cookies. What should I do? We’re both working!! Gas went up tons. It’s $100 to fill up my minivan! Tuition went up for every kid and playgroup and babysitters. Just got a letter from lsta $260 for each kid. Can’t afford camp. I have 3 kids home going crazy. My big kids are working in camps. I can’t afford to take them to a fun place or even just for ice cream.

How is everyone doing this? It’s impossible
And don’t tell me not to have more kids. I need to buy food for the kids I have now

Please pm me your Zelle too, I’d love to help!

Miriams

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:32 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
I’m in the exact same boat and actually just finished bawling my eyes out. We are living from hand out to hand out and life is not sustainable. Could not afford to send my kids to camp this summer either. My DH’s self confidence is shot and that pains me more than anything. This has to end somehow. I know Hashem has a plan but right now it seems as if we’re beings swallowed up by a huge black hole. And no, we do not qualify for programs, we tried getting on everything but we ‘make too much’. Ha. That’s funny.

If u need help, I’m happy to help u too😊

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:33 pm
Another idea, possibly theres a way that the admin of Imamother, who it seems from all the blinking advertisements is doing nicely, can set up a permanent way with donors who would donate, going forward, to help all those people who reach out to them, when they are really struggling.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:35 pm
This is amazing so many people offering to help. You’re giving me hope. Everyone is so special and is really helping families in need
Thank you!!

anon12

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:36 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
OP my soul hurts and I feel you on a deep level because we are in the same boat.
DH works 85 hours a week
I work 50 and we’re still not making it.
We already let our cleaning lady go a few weeks ago.
Our car is about to be picked up
Our mortgage is behind 6 months
We have a shut off notice for our gas and electric
We still owe tuition from last school year
My kids are home from camp because we can’t afford it.
Our bank accounts is at 0
Our cc’s are maxed.
Our pantry is empty
Our fridge is empty (today the kids had homemade pizza “again” for dinner and my son wanted eggs but we didn’t even have any😪)
We also don’t have how to make shabbes yet but I know Hashem is right here with me, crying along and we have to trust that he knows what he is doing and even if we can’t see the reasons why this is happening I know something amazing is coming in the near future. Sending you hugs

I'm so sorry to hear this! Please PM me your zelle info and I'll send you money.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:46 pm
3 kosher foodbanks in Lakewood:

Braude 4707983701 send a text that you woukd like to be added . On 14th between Monmouth and Princeton. You'll get a text when he has food to give out. You can also go every Friday an hour and a half before shabbos. They usually have challos, prepared food, vegetables and fruits sometimes.

Englard corner of 14th street and Forest Ave has every night between 8.30 and 9.30 youll get as much bread and bagels as you need (as well as leftover foods from schools/camp and shloimy's) they also have a bigger distribution on Friday afternoon.

Tuesday night on swathmore Ave food distribution at 8pm. Sometimes worth it sometimes not so much. (Cereals, pasta, Peanut butter, eggs,sometimes fruits and vegetables)
If you live south of the lake there's a erev shabbos distribution there also but I dk the address.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:48 pm
Just wanted to add that so far I've found Aldi to be the cheapest on eggs, iceberg lettuce and in season fruits!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:50 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
3 kosher foodbanks in Lakewood:

Braude 4707983701 send a text that you woukd like to be added . On 14th between Monmouth and Princeton. You'll get a text when he has food to give out. You can also go every Friday an hour and a half before shabbos. They usually have challos, prepared food, vegetables and fruits sometimes.

Englard corner of 14th street and Forest Ave has every night between 8.30 and 9.30 youll get as much bread and bagels as you need (as well as leftover foods from schools/camp and shloimy's) they also have a bigger distribution on Friday afternoon.

Tuesday night on swathmore Ave food distribution at 8pm. Sometimes worth it sometimes not so much. (Cereals, pasta, Peanut butter, eggs,sometimes fruits and vegetables)
If you live south of the lake there's a erev shabbos distribution there also but I dk the address.

Thank you! This is helpful

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:23 am
For those whose kids are home and bored, Staples has a back to school sale with 24 crayons for 50 cents and markers, watercolor paints and pencils for 99 cents.

I realize it may not be worth the gas to make a special trip, but possibly if you ask around you'll find neighbors going to do their back to school shopping who would pick up a few items for you.

benny

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:26 am
I’m in a similar situation. It’s so so hard. Prices going up on everything and couldn’t afford life before… I also have kids home this summer. We are actually enjoying the quality time, the laid back schedule. I have loads of free ideas I’ve been doing with them. If anyone has kids home and needs ideas feel free to pm me.

teachkids

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:47 am
amother [ Crystal ] wrote:
For those whose kids are home and bored, Staples has a back to school sale with 24 crayons for 50 cents and markers, watercolor paints and pencils for 99 cents.

I realize it may not be worth the gas to make a special trip, but possibly if you ask around you'll find neighbors going to do their back to school shopping who would pick up a few items for you.

Target has the same sale if that's easier

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:15 am
hayag1 wrote:
If you would like to pm your zelle info I would love to send you money to buy food for shabbos as well.

Wow thank you, I’m so touched by your generosity! 😭😭

My DH does not let me take anything from anyone because he keeps saying Hashem sent us this challenge for a reason and we have to overcome it.
Please donate my portion to the next person who needs it♥️

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:16 am
These posts make me cry.
I live in England and I am a divorced single mother to three kids, lately everything has gone sky high expensive too. I went to organisations for help eg Tomchei Shabbos here and they gave me but that has already gone.
I work three jobs - I enjoy working, but I just took on another one this week to make ends meet. I am so exhausted from working literally all day every day, this morning I thought how am I gonna do this - some days I feel like I just cant anymore.
I am doing nothing this summer other than work work work. I dont have cleaning help. I dont buy anything expensive. I dont get any financial support from family or friends. The utility bills fuel and food has risen so drastically lately.

So OP I feel you. Life has gone so expensive.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:18 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Give me your account information in the grocery and a grocery list. I will send you food for Shabbos.

Thank you! My heart is exploding with all the love and support from my dear Jewish sisters! Which other folk is like ours?! This alone gives me strength to keep going.
As mentioned to the above poster my DH does not want to take anything from anyone, he said Hashem knows in what position we’re in and the same way he put us on it he will take us out. I appreciate your generosity! 💖💖

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:21 am
Moonlight wrote:
If you send me your zelle or PayPal I will also send you money for food/gas/tuition
I also encourage you to take food boxes if you live a city that is distributing

Thank you, I’m so so touched! And all this generosity is so tempting but My DH is against taking $ from others, he refuses any extra help. I even called an organization to see if they can help with summer tuition and he made me cancel my application.
Please donate what you give to me to the next person who needs it. Honestly I have no words to describe the comfort you all are giving me! 💕

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:23 am
Thank you! My heart is exploding with all the love and support from my dear Jewish sisters! Which other folk is like ours?! This alone gives me strength to keep going.
As mentioned to the above poster my DH does not want to take anything from anyone, he said Hashem knows in what position we’re in and the same way he put us on it he will take us out. I appreciate your generosity! 💖💖

I hear you. But maybe the nisayon is to take from other people? Could you discuss that with him?

It's like the old mashal of a man in a flood. He climbs a tree and says "Hashem, I know you'll save me." A boat comes along and he says "No, no, Hashem is going to save me." A helicopter throws him a rope and he says "Hashem will save me."
When he gets to shamayim, Hashem asks him, why did you commit suicide? He says "what do you mean? I was waiting for Hashem to save me." and Hashem says "I sent you a boat. I sent you a helicopter. What were you waiting for?"

It's a horrible position but I've learnt that sometimes the challenge is to humble ourselves to take from others.

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:25 am
Miriams wrote:
I wld love to help u too. Please pm me your Zelle. May your financial situation turn around quickly & May u be in a position to pay this forward😊.

Wow I’m speechless! Thank you so much and Amen for that blessing of paying it fwd. we were always on the giving end, used to give lots of tzedaka and being on the other side of the coin right now is a tough pill to swallow but we keep telling ourselves that this won’t last forever.
Please give my portion to the next person in need as my DH does not want to take anything from anyone.
We don’t have food boxes yet where we live but I’m hoping it will start soon and ease things up.

Thank you again!

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:28 am
anon12 wrote:
I'm so sorry to hear this! Please PM me your zelle info and I'll send you money.

Wow thank you, I have no words! Literally speechless with all the selfless acts of kindness on here. Wish I can somehow accept it all without DH finding out but I know he would never forgive me if he does come to know that I accepted donations.
Please help the next person and I can’t wait to be back on the giving end soon.
Thank you again!

Miriams

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:56 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
I hear you. But maybe the nisayon is to take from other people? Could you discuss that with him?

It's like the old mashal of a man in a flood. He climbs a tree and says "Hashem, I know you'll save me." A boat comes along and he says "No, no, Hashem is going to save me." A helicopter throws him a rope and he says "Hashem will save me."
When he gets to shamayim, Hashem asks him, why did you commit suicide? He says "what do you mean? I was waiting for Hashem to save me." and Hashem says "I sent you a boat. I sent you a helicopter. What were you waiting for?"

It's a horrible position but I've learnt that sometimes the challenge is to humble ourselves to take from others.

Exactly this. It’s not easy to take . Maybe that’s the Nisayon?!
Please don’t suffer in silence.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:59 am
Wow thank you, I have no words! Literally speechless with all the selfless acts of kindness on here. Wish I can somehow accept it all without DH finding out but I know he would never forgive me if he does come to know that I accepted donations.
Please help the next person and I can’t wait to be back on the giving end soon.
Thank you again!

OP I am not judging you - (I am the poster who wrote above that I am divorced etc and struggling), yes it is so difficult to take from other people in life yet I have learnt that sometimes one has to learn to be a taker, and then daven one day that the wheel turns again and you can be a giver.

Hatslocha
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics