Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Can’t buy food gas tuition Lakewood
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

benny

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 4:55 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Friday Distribution: Distribution at 6:35PM corner of White & Olive. 1 person per family, no children. Please park only opposite side of Olive along White TY GS

This is regular food boxes? Or extras. I already got from somewhere else

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 4:56 pm
benny wrote:
This is regular food boxes? Or extras. I already got from somewhere else
It’s a food pantry I think

frumarochel

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:30 pm
I'm sorry you are going through difficulties. Hope you will soon experience some relief from your troubles! Here are some tips which have helped us during unemployment, surgeries, etc.

Everything goes on sale. Stock up during sale times on items which will keep. For example: make a note of when peanut butter is on sale, for what price and at which store. You will see a pattern. When it's on sale at the cheapest price get enough jars to last until you expect the next sale. Items can be stored under beds and sofa. Toilet paper is non-perishable. You can ask the store manager for case lots if you have storage room.

We may be accustomed to main dishes of poultry, fish or meat; but much of the world eats small pieces of the expensive proteins to flavor a recipe with less costly vegetables and grains. Chinese stir-frying is an example. Another is one egg combined with a lot of flour to make pasta. The food poor people traditionally eat in other countries can give you ideas. You need only to find ONE recipe your family enjoys. Then, a second recipe... Explore vegetarian recipes which are healthy and good for the planet as well as delicious, kind to animals and cheaper.

Lentils have more protein than beef. Other beans and whole grains also contain protein when combined with other sources of amino acid (found in proteins). Corn bread served at the same meal as milk completes the amino acids in the corn with those found in milk. As long as these are eaten at the same time, equal protein is provided. Combine with other incomplete proteins or some whole protein foods (at the same meal). The idea comes from Frances Moore Lappe's book "Diet For a Small Planet". The public library will have it for free.

Children can and should be part of your labor force. It's good for them and if a tighter budget means more tasks, they can help you stay within your limits of strength and time. If the child can walk, he's old enough to help make the bed or empty the wastepaper basket. Seriously, this is excellent training and will help them become successful!

Leftovers become convenience meals for the future. Don't let them spoil in the fridge. Freeze. Just write a quick label with the date. I use D for milchik (dairy) and F for fleishich. Often I add it to soup. Sprouting beans and seeds can make them more nutritious. Try soaking dried chickpeas overnight in water. They are delicious even eaten raw. An idea for Shabbos lunch, maybe. It can be just as convenient to prepare dried beans as opening a can, much cheaper and maybe healthier. You can pick over the beans (a kids' job?), wash them, and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and allow them to soak in the hot water for one hour. Then cook. This is instead of soaking overnight if you forgot to do it.

The average American family in 1900 spent 40% of their income on food. In 1950 it was 30%. Despite this recent sharp increase we now spend less than in the "good old days".

You can point out to the family that foods they miss will appear again when money becomes available. Meanwhile you can discover new favorites. You and your husband may need to encourage each other. We all have low times. What is important is that you will be enjoying Shabbos and Yomtovim with love for each other plus the knowledge that you have the power to handle change and even adversity. Have a wonderful summer and healthy delicious New Year!

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:02 pm
amother [ Mintcream ] wrote:
Friday Distribution: Distribution at 6:35PM corner of White & Olive. 1 person per family, no children. Please park only opposite side of Olive along White TY GS

This is great, it’s right near me. How can I get weekly info?

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:33 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
These posts make me cry.
I live in England and I am a divorced single mother to three kids, lately everything has gone sky high expensive too. I went to organisations for help eg Tomchei Shabbos here and they gave me but that has already gone.
I work three jobs - I enjoy working, but I just took on another one this week to make ends meet. I am so exhausted from working literally all day every day, this morning I thought how am I gonna do this - some days I feel like I just cant anymore.
I am doing nothing this summer other than work work work. I dont have cleaning help. I dont buy anything expensive. I dont get any financial support from family or friends. The utility bills fuel and food has risen so drastically lately.

So OP I feel you. Life has gone so expensive.

I feel bad, but don’t think people offered this post help, maybe it was missed?

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:39 pm
For those living in Williamsburg. There is Reb Sheila's kitchen. They are open every day. They give free meals no questions asked. I can find out the address and more details.

tree of life

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 1:44 pm
These posts make me cry.
I live in England and I am a divorced single mother to three kids, lately everything has gone sky high expensive too. I went to organisations for help eg Tomchei Shabbos here and they gave me but that has already gone.
I work three jobs - I enjoy working, but I just took on another one this week to make ends meet. I am so exhausted from working literally all day every day, this morning I thought how am I gonna do this - some days I feel like I just cant anymore.
I am doing nothing this summer other than work work work. I dont have cleaning help. I dont buy anything expensive. I dont get any financial support from family or friends. The utility bills fuel and food has risen so drastically lately.

So OP I feel you. Life has gone so expensive.

Hi please contact rabbi sudak in Edgware he has loads of bread and food daily Chabad of edgware if u can't get hold of me let me no hatzlacha

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 6:38 pm
tree of life wrote:
Hi please contact rabbi sudak in Edgware he has loads of bread and food daily Chabad of edgware if u can't get hold of me let me no hatzlacha

Thank you, I am not living near Edgware at all but I appreciate your thoughts and suggestion

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 8:00 pm
We all need to think about this before electing another Democrat president.

I’m dying over here, as well. I fully understand the whole homesteading thing now. I may start growing my own vegetables.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 11:08 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
This is great, it’s right near me. How can I get weekly info?
It gets forwarded to westgate chat sometimes but not every week. I assume they have a chat to send out the info, if you go maybe ask them.

tree of life

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:54 am
Thank you, I am not living near Edgware at all but I appreciate your thoughts and suggestion

I understand but it's worth drive once a week to get bread and other things
Stamford hill is 45, minutes drive or Golders green etc not to far I use to live there at least you will have food wishing u hatzlacha

amother
Chicory

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:54 am
What about some pocket money a woman always needs? Pads, tights, maybe she simply needs a new bra? Things don’t stop at food and paying tuition.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:45 am
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
I dont think so...you can only get food from 1 source- box or camp (if camp is using this food program to cover costs) for each kid. So if you have 1 kid in camp and 1 not in camp, you can get a box for the one not in camp.
But OP- definitely try to get on the WhatsApp groups for people giving food away. So much may end up getting tossed otherwise!

What happens if OP takes boxes at every location being offered?
Who checks these forms anyways?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 2:20 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
For those living in Williamsburg. There is Reb Sheila's kitchen. They are open every day. They give free meals no questions asked. I can find out the address and more details.

Heichal Yishaya היכל ישעיה
(347) 622-2874
https://maps.app.goo.gl/j7htPSirCJqpTMdj8

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:34 am
tree of life wrote:
I understand but it's worth drive once a week to get bread and other things
Stamford hill is 45, minutes drive or Golders green etc not to far I use to live there at least you will have food wishing u hatzlacha

Maybe she lives in Manchester, at least a 4 hour drive away.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 7:47 am
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
What happens if OP takes boxes at every location being offered?
Who checks these forms anyways?

I think it's perfectly legal for Op to go around to all the boxes locations. They just need to do the due diligence for their records.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:10 am
I canceled a box and signed up for another one and they’re still sending both. Happy to give you my extras op. As it is we don’t even use half of what’s in one box.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:27 pm
amother [ Cappuccino ] wrote:
I think it's perfectly legal for Op to go around to all the boxes locations. They just need to do the due diligence for their records.

Huh? What's legal about this?

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:55 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
Huh? What's legal about this?

What’s not legal? Who checks these forms that people fill out to get boxes?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:59 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
We all need to think about this before electing another Democrat president.

I’m dying over here, as well. I fully understand the whole homesteading thing now. I may start growing my own vegetables.

Do you think Republicans will give you food boxes and more snap money?
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics