Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Does your husband know how to cook?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:33 pm
Just a bit. Steak, cholent and hard boiled eggs for shabbos. Scrambled eggs, farina, and breakfast things like that. And he makes me the best coffee.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:57 pm
Mine cooks most of the food around here. He’s out of town for work this past week and I’m living on gazpacho, because it’s basically salad in the blender

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:05 pm
My father is good in the kitchen. MY husband is terrible. At this point my children have more skills than him.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:15 pm
Yes but he mostly follows recipes.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:24 pm
My husband cooked professionally In yeshiva
He is Cordon Bleu level and makes phenomenally nice stuff
Problem is when we weee engaged I lost 112 lbs with WW. In the first 2 years of marriage I gained over 150 pounds
Now I am on a strict bariatric diet do his abilities do nothing for me

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:27 pm
Yes! But he doesn’t love to.
He mostly learned when I was pregnant and couldn’t Puke

happy chick

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:30 pm
frummiebackhome wrote:
Asking just for fun!

My husband is a better cook than I am but he leaves a big mess in the kitchen!

What's your husband's special? Mine's risotto!!

Also, where did your husbands learned? DH was very encouraged by his mom, but I have some friends's dh who had to learn living in Israel!

Same. When we were dating, my husband told me he loves to cook and I told him I hate to cook. We both thought the other was joking. Haha

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:31 pm
My husband makes the potato kugel.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 11:55 pm
Yes, he can cook all the basics. Scrambled eggs, pasta, chicken, roasted veg etc.
He loves to grill.
If I'm not home, I'm not worried that anyone will starve.

amother
Brunette

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:14 am
The responsibility for cooking lies more on my husband’s shoulders than mine. My husband is an excellent cook. He always helped out in the kitchen growing up, and had fun experimenting with cooking recipes and techniques as a teen.

I only started cooking when we got married, never did anything more than a scrambled egg before that. Cooking stresses me out so much, I just don’t have the head for it a lot of the time and I hate the decision making required to menu plan… He ends up cooking dinners and Shabbosim more than I do, and it’s something I feel guilt about even though honestly we both work full time and I’m busy being pregnant and nursing - it makes sense for him to have the responsibility of cooking. Im fine with it on an equitable level but I feel so bad for him when I see how most frum women take on the primary responsibility of cooking. He’s an amazing husband and person, he deserves to be fed and pampered and taken care of by me the way his brothers and friends are taken care of by their wives. It’s something I really struggle with. I wish everyone would have a more even split of the cooking responsibility. I don’t see why it should be on the women more than the men. We have more than enough on our plates! It’s so unjust and misogynistic imo Sad

amother
DarkGreen

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 1:04 am
DH is an amazing baker. His challah is famous with our guests, and frankly everything he makes tastes incredible! He also makes the most delicious cinnamon buns, better than any bakery I've been!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 1:23 am
Yes. And he ran my kitchen at my restaurant for two summers plus is an accomplished fancy cake baker. No ordinary cook, he.

SG18

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:06 am
My husband loves to cook and bake, and is incredible at it. My contribution is washing dishes and cleaning up the mess, and I'm more than happy to handle that side of it!

SuperWify

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:16 am
Sure. Tradition soup, frozen nuggets in the microwave, grilled cheese.

He can’t use I knife so I still have to cut the sandwich for him Banging head

Bnei Berak 10

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:24 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
My husband can really cook anything. He learned from his mother who insisted all her children need to know how to cook (thanks mom in law!). And he knows to Google and read recipes very well. He has made awesome fried shnitzel (I never fry- only bake it), roasted vegetables, pancakes, waffles, eggs of all varieties, pasta, salads, duncan hines cake, liver, and coffee (does that count?)However.... he would rather I do all the cooking. And therefore, rarely cooks.

Now THAT is a MIL who know what she was doing!! I like it! Flower

amother
Watermelon

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:32 am
DH enjoys good food. When I was pregnant he started cooking because he didnt like eating takeout and other people's food. Turns out he is an amaaaazing cook and actually really enjoys it. He has also baked challos, cakes etc, but doesn't do it frequently because he doesn't have time.

I don't enjoy cooking at all. I think the difference is he enjoys food whereas im usually happy to eat cereal, and also when he cooks that's all he has to do. When I'm cooking I'm still doing 5 other things at the same time and I get so frazzled.

I'm probably better at meats though.

frummiebackhome

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:51 am
amother [ Navyblue ] wrote:
Scrambled egg. Frozen pizza. Tuna from A can. That’s it.

Just like my father! If he tried to do a perfect fried egg he wouldn't get it

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 6:12 am
He only knows how to cook pasta, scrambled eggs and omelettes and cheese on toasts. Oh he also does the schnitzels in my house.
I cook gourmet and I love cooking he doesn't love it. I have btw a friend and she HATES cooking she makes only the salatim and challos and her husband loves cooking so he makes every shabbos.

amother
Whitewash

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:12 am
My husband can make the basics for himself/the kids if I'm working late. Stuff like pasta, box mac & cheese, Duncan Hines, put stuff on the grill (he doesn't usually season it though) frozen pizza, chicken nuggets and french fries, make a sandwich or grilled cheese. However, he is terrible at cleaning up
And he makes his own coffee

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:14 am
He made some fancy baked goods when we were first married and playing house. He makes his own eggs for breakfast. But he doesn't cook as a rule and if I weren't around he would probably buy takeout. Which is to say he is able to cook but isn't all that interested. Frankly, neither am I any more, but somebody's gotta do it. Since I always came home from work much earlier than he did, the honor fell to me by default.

OTOH my son is quite the culinary dude and my sil is the main cook of the house. My dad started cooking only after he retired, and he got to be pretty good and quite adventurous. Fil would cook anything so long as he could barbecue it on the patio. He couldn't find his way around the kitchen with a Marauder's Map.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen