Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Teaching - Do you get paid by hour or salary?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 8:58 pm
Do you get paid salary or hourly?
If salary, is it per how many hours of school per calendar year or based on a roughly 40wk school year?

BA

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 9:46 pm
my high school does salary based on how many periods per week that you teach

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 28 2022, 10:10 pm
BA wrote:
my high school does salary based on how many periods per week that you teach

Thanks. Which state? If you don't mind me asking, what is the hourly rate?

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 12:46 am
Salary based on how many hours a week my contract says I work.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 1:15 am
Thanks . Do they calculate breaks, half days etc into the calculation? Meaning, take those off and then name salary?

nicole81

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 1:50 am
The local BY pays per period, ie let's say you get 10k per class and teach 3 classes daily, your salary for the school year is 30k, and you receive the same amount each month for ten months, regardless of holidays, half days, and breaks on the school calendar. I'm not sure how they deal with days off though.

If you work in a public school, most districts pay salary based on a union contract. There are set hours, and there are no deductions for sick or personal days unless you exceed the limit of your contractually allowed days of. Some districts leave taking extra days off to the superintendent's discretion. In NYC, the annual salary for ten month employees is divided into 24 paychecks, paid twice monthly the entire year.

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 3:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks . Do they calculate breaks, half days etc into the calculation? Meaning, take those off and then name salary?

I'm sure that's all worked into the number they give you for how much you're paid for each class you teach.
Basically teaching is a salaried job- just like the computer programmer has the same salary whether it's December with 2 days off or March with no days off, the teacher has a salary.
However, since teaching is a job with such variable hours from person to person, schools generally have a formula of how they calculate a teachers salary based on how many periods/hours they teach on a full week.

Substitute teachers are only paid for the hours in the classroom though.

Why are you so stuck on figuring this out?

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:02 am
I've had a lot of experience both teaching and negotiating, over the decades. Here are a few important things to keep in mind.

- By this point in the year, budgets have already been set. There's less wiggle room for negotiation than in the spring.

- It makes a difference how badly a school needs/wants you. Are you the best option within 100 miles, or could they find someone only slightly less qualified/desirable than you at the drop of a hat?

- Schools can and do create all sorts of different policies. These are generally determined by the folks in charge of budgets.

- Unless you have an unusual circumstance, the starting salary will be the basis on which future salary is determined.

- It doesn't matter what you read on some random internet group. You need to find out salary at this school. Maybe many teachers have the benefit of sending their own kids for free, and that benefit doesn't apply to you?

- What you think is fair has almost no bearing on the situation. They do what they do, and the game is to try to work within that system. It's not unheard of, when you get an offer to say, "that's a little on the low side, I'd love to work for you, but can you do any better?"

Another strategy you can try if they want you badly enough is to say, "my usual rate is $__ for a job like this, but for this year, I'm willing to accept your offer. I hope that you'll be happy enough with my work that next year, we'll be able to come to better terms.". That gets you in the door, and signals that you'll expect a significant raise next year.

Hatzlacha!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:06 am
I get a salary. Not sure how they calculate it. But they offered me an amount. It was too low for me. I came back saying no, so they bumped it up. And that's what we decided on.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:42 am
This is almost totally dependent on you location. Where I live, elementary/middle schools pay a salary, and the high schools pay per period taught (if there's a day off or a snow day or you're absent, you don't get paid).

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 5:44 am
Salary based on how many periods you teach times 40 weeks. Then it's divided by 10months. They don't take off because of yom tov or midterms

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:08 am
amother [ Broom ] wrote:
I'm sure that's all worked into the number they give you for how much you're paid for each class you teach.
Basically teaching is a salaried job- just like the computer programmer has the same salary whether it's December with 2 days off or March with no days off, the teacher has a salary.
However, since teaching is a job with such variable hours from person to person, schools generally have a formula of how they calculate a teachers salary based on how many periods/hours they teach on a full week.

Substitute teachers are only paid for the hours in the classroom though.

Why are you so stuck on figuring this out?

Because Its been a few weeks since offered a certain Job and bothers me they count the minutes pretty much . Usually from my many years of exp before, this was done salary, not hourly. Teachers work more than just in school so what the big deal to pay a little more for that work? It comes out to 35.5 weeks (ish) with breaks during the year and that's basically losing 5.5 ish weeks of what in most places are still salaried.
The #s come out low this way and it's a tough decision. Many reasons I do want to work there but what I'd come home with is little

mha3484

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:10 am
My kids elementary schools pay a salary plus benefits. Hourly makes no sense.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:11 am
What does the yearly come out to for where you work?
Elementary
Middle school

amother
Broom

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What does the yearly come out to for where you work?
Elementary
Middle school

This is going to depend a lot on where you are and your experience and how many hours.
In broader NY area:
I know one school is 30k for half time and 50k for full time.
Another is 2k for each period of the week you teach. So If you teach 4 periods a day that's around 40k, If you do 8 it's 80k.
Another is 65k for full time and 35k for part time.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:56 am
I teach elementary and I have a salary for the year plus 2 kids free tuition.

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:59 am
I work in a hs in NY. My salary is calculated based on three factors: my years of experience, level of education, and number of teaching and administrative (department meetings, office hours, etc.) periods.

I generally earn the same amount every month (my salary is divided into 12); Yomim tovim, finals, and programs do not impact my monthly paycheck. The only reasons why one month’s salary might be lower or higher is if I went over my personal or sick days, or if I covered another teacher’s period (subbed) or helped out in another way (like chaperoned a school trip).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics