Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Switching from a smartphone to a dumb phone

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:30 am
I have a love hate relationship with my smartphone. I have a restricted phone, so only certain apps on on my phone. I do not have email or a browser on my phone. There is no social media on my phone.
I don't love the fact that I'm always on it. I'm always checking whatsapp. Anytime I need the weather, I'm checking. Pictures. Bank account. Google Maps. I'm checking, checking, checking. I've tried putting it away, shutting it down. No matter what, I'm always going back.
I think it's really a problem. My kids are starting to reach for my phone, too.
Please no bashing. I'm looking for support. Has anyone switched from a smart phone to a dumb phone?
I'm wondering how that went for you? How did you manage without the weather app, the picture app, whatsapp, google maps, etc.
Need support! Please don't post if you're going to try to dissuade me. I don't want my kids to grow up with their mother on her phone all the time. The thought makes me sick.

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:38 am
I have the same dilemma! I'm waiting to see replies here but I wish to luck! I feel like Im missing my children growing up because I am so absorbed by my phone! Its very sad.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:40 am
I try to keep my phone upstairs or go outside without it. I find that very helpful.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:44 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I try to keep my phone upstairs or go outside without it. I find that very helpful.

I've tried that for a while. But it doesn't really help.
I just took whatsapp off my phone. I'm much better about not being on my comp in from of my kids, so I put it on my computer. I check it at night. That's my new plan.
But I need to figure out about the weather, bank, CRC kosher app (for agencies and up-to-date bug checking info) and google maps. Those are my big apps I use all the time and feel like I need on the go. Emphasis on the "feel like" because I'm sure that when there's a will there's a way. I just don't know the way yet.

BatZion

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 7:45 am
I *upgraded* from a "smart"phone to a regular phone over a year ago. So much happier.
I was checking Whatsapp all the time.
You don't need those apps. You truly don't.
Okay, full disclosure- my husband still has a "smart" phone, so I check school groups at the end of the day to make sure I'm not missing anything important. But I left the community women's group and other nonessentials...and life goes on. My husband wants to get rid of it too and I'd be happy for that to happen because- like you say- kids start obsessing over it too...
I have friends who let me know what I need to know.
I play with my kids in the park instead of gaping at my phone. Or taking pictures of them.
It's really, truly freeing.
And I also have my own business and manage perfectly without Whatsapp even though clients sometimes ask to be in touch via Whatsapp, we manage just fine via phone or email.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:01 am
kudos to you!!
It's really hard switch, but doable. At this point, you can't pay me to go back to smartphone.
It was excruciating. I felt like limb missing. But you slowly get used to it. Very slowly.

It's so refreshing to be able to live in the moment and not have a need to keep on checking phone and to wait for kids to go to sleep so you can sit with phone again.

I still have my laptop home with internet. It's filtered. So if I really need to check something I have where. I can check weather and stores numbers and all that. But it's not at my fingertips so I don't walk around with it.

I say go for it. You can always try it for 6 months and go back if you can't do it.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:18 am
amother [ Peachpuff ] wrote:
kudos to you!!
It's really hard switch, but doable. At this point, you can't pay me to go back to smartphone.
It was excruciating. I felt like limb missing. But you slowly get used to it. Very slowly.

It's so refreshing to be able to live in the moment and not have a need to keep on checking phone and to wait for kids to go to sleep so you can sit with phone again.

I still have my laptop home with internet. It's filtered. So if I really need to check something I have where. I can check weather and stores numbers and all that. But it's not at my fingertips so I don't walk around with it.

I say go for it. You can always try it for 6 months and go back if you can't do it.

What do you do about Google Maps/Waze?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 8:53 am
I work in a BY HS that asked us to please not use our smart phones in school. Someone sponsored flip phones for those who need it. They gave a sunbeam, I think it's called. It does have options for GPS. Maybe weather ,too, not sure. Look into it. For an extra fee, talk to type, which is great !!
I didn't get rid of my smart phone cuz I use it for paperwork (and WhatsApp) etc etc but at least it had no phone service so I could only check it when connected to wifi (true, I use it at home...still a problem....)
For the summer I am back with my smartphone (transfered # back to it for now) but I look fwd to switching back to my flip phone soon....

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do about Google Maps/Waze?

I don't have a car so that's not an issue for me, but I am sure there are solutions out there.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:24 am
I love my dumb phone. The only thing I really miss is Uber and google maps.

amother1223

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:33 am
How do you put WhatsApp on your computer?

sequoia

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:44 am
I believe it is dangerous for a woman to go out without google maps and Uber/Lyft/whatever you have in your area.

If you’re in a bad situation, these apps could save your life.

I’ve never had whatsapp and am not sure what it is — a free group chat? — but if it bothers you, you can delete it from your phone. That goes for any other app you view as a distraction or time-waster.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:48 am
sequoia wrote:
I believe it is dangerous for a woman to go out without google maps and Uber/Lyft/whatever you have in your area.

I’ve never had whatsapp and am not sure what it is — a free group chat? — but if it bothers you, you can delete it from your phone. That goes for any other app you view as a distraction or time-waster.

I think this is largely area dependent.
How would uber save my life in Monsey, NY?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:53 am
sequoia wrote:

I maybe used Uber once with someone else.
No I'd rather have a Yidish driver than Mohammed/gentile drive me.
It doesn't guarantee me anything but the risk is cut by 90%. I could also be on the phone with my husband the entire time that's what I do if I see the driver is over friendly

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 9:54 am
Here's my story. A year ago I UPGRADED my smartphone for a Basic Phone and it has been the best decision of my life. I was exactly like you, didn't have much on my phone, just basics but I was Always on it. I felt the need to check my apps for no reason at all. I came to this decision when my toddler always wanted my phone, she wanted to see the pictures, chats.... I decided for myself that this is not how I want my children being brought up. I don't care if they get one down the line, but I want to be their role model. I feel like I have so much time on my hands now and I actually give them my full attention!! I have a smartphone in the car (which stays there) and it has waze. I also have a fully filtered laptop at home, so I can still order things I need. Honestly I only go on my laptop in the evening, so my children don't see me on it too often. I must tell you though that it is a real challenge! Not a day goes by without me thinking if I should get an Iphone, especially since EVERYONE has one!!! It's also my perspective, I tell everyone "I am PROUD to say I UPGRADED to a BASIC phone". Obviously I've gotten both responses, but you gotta be strong! I always say after 120 this will be my biggest reward BH!!! Be Strong and I'm here to support!! Very Happy

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:06 am
I have a dumbphone and a GPS. Yes, they still exist. They aren't as great at traffic (at least not the cheap one that I have), but for me, it serves the purpose and made me stop feeling like I "need" a smartphone so much.

We also have a digital camera.

I'm not a big spender, but these two investments were totally worth it to me.

amother
Crystal

Post Fri, Jul 29 2022, 10:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've tried that for a while. But it doesn't really help.
I just took whatsapp off my phone. I'm much better about not being on my comp in from of my kids, so I put it on my computer. I check it at night. That's my new plan.
But I need to figure out about the weather, bank, CRC kosher app (for agencies and up-to-date bug checking info) and google maps. Those are my big apps I use all the time and feel like I need on the go. Emphasis on the "feel like" because I'm sure that when there's a will there's a way. I just don't know the way yet.

these are the only apps on have on my phone (dont' have whats app at all) What I try to do is just reframe and realize that there's nothing to see on these apps! my bank account doesn't change by the minute, so I look at it in the morn before I leave my room and then at night when kids are in bed. otherwise there's nothing to see anyway. (don't worry, I'm not this good every day. but always try to get better at it because I really don't want to go back to a dumbphone. flip phones texting is way to hard for me and being able to deposit checks on my phone and have instant google maps when driving is not something I can give up.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:51 pm
I live by myself and I consider my smartphone very useful. It keeps me in close touch with my kids, who all live very far away. It has a GPS so I won't get lost. Parking app so I won't forget where I parked my car. And on and on. Of course I have many very dear friends. But at the end of the day I need my independence so I won't have to lean on people, and my phone helps with that.

It's just a tool. I'm happy to shut it off before every Shabbat and YT, so I can't say I depend on it or that I'm addicted. Shabbat and YT are a welcome rest from it. But during the week it's an aid to the many activities and Zoom classes I pursue.

Other people have different life situations so they may not want or need a smartphone. My difficulty is with people (particularly women) who have jumped on this anti-smartphone bandwagon and are so enthusiastic about that, that they have to announce it loudly in every meeting or class. If it's the right choice for you not to have a smartphone, fine. But it's not the right choice for me.

amother
Green

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 6:18 pm
I have had a smart phone for about 10 years, and never imagined going to something else... but I realized my kids were getting more and more exposure to my phone and less and less time with me. I also realized I could check nearly anything (whatsapp, weather, banking) from my computer in the morning/at night, and can buy a gps for my car. A bad experience with a maps app on my smartphone putting me in a bad neighborhood and telling me that I was in fact at my kid's graduation party (I was more than 20 minutes away and missed the whole thing!) and could have been in danger but BH there was no one around had me realize that my smart phone isn't so smart after all...

I made the switch and it's not easy, especially since people don't get it when I'm not responding immediately to their whatsapp, and I'm not getting some messages that are going to "imessage" and I can't figure that out. But It's amazing. I realized I was spending wayy too much time on it and I'm a healthier person for switching.

ruchelbuckle

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 7:57 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
I live by myself and I consider my smartphone very useful. ....... My difficulty is with people (particularly women) who have jumped on this anti-smartphone bandwagon and are so enthusiastic about that, that they have to announce it loudly in every meeting or class. If it's the right choice for you not to have a smartphone, fine. But it's not the right choice for me.

Not sure why you felt the need to bump this up after 6 weeks.
The OP asked for encouragement. Not to hear why the smartphone is so useful (she probably knows that).
Obviously your life circumstances and situations are different, so switching to a basic phone isn't the right choice for you.
There is nothing wrong with people who want to share their accomplishments in the area of technology. It gives chizuk to others. If it bothers you, then feel free to skip this thread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics