Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Where to turn? I think 5 yr old has ADHD

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 9:40 pm
I am located in Brooklyn NY so I am seeking therapists/psychologist/pediatric psychologists near me

My 5 year old child was not officially diagnosed with ADHD but it runs in both my family and my husband’s and she fits all criteria.
At what age did you take ur child for an evaluation?
Who did you go to for an evaluation?
Did you try any kind of therapy or anything before trying medication?

Don’t know how to go about this. She really needs help . I want her to learn tools and skills for life - not just pop pills (although I am not against pills if it will truly benefit her )

amother
Snowflake

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 10:24 pm
This program worked really well for us. It addresses the root causes of adhd but without the side effects of medication https://www.amazon.com/Finally.....r=8-1

We did this in conjunction with homeopathy and Craniosacral therapy and we’re able to avoid medication

giftedmom

Post Sat, Jul 30 2022, 10:26 pm
It’s generally not officially diagnosed before 7. If she needs help get her to a therapist that works with young children. OT can be great as well.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:08 am
What exactly does she need help with right NOW?
Diagnosis is usually not until school age but at this age there are therapies and interventions that can be used to support the parent and child with ADHD symptoms.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:43 am
Dr rothbart. The attention center.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 1:31 am
Make sure it’s not sensory related

amother
Clover

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 2:13 am
That’s rough. My son recently got diagnosed. Been finding this weekly support group so helpful. https://handsonapproaches.com/join-us-live/ Good luck

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:28 am
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
What exactly does she need help with right NOW?
Diagnosis is usually not until school age but at this age there are therapies and interventions that can be used to support the parent and child with ADHD symptoms.

She’s having a very hard time with regulating her emotions and impulse control. When she’s upset about the smallest thing she starts raging and throwing things .. hurting whoever is next to her. And then she cries after that she didn’t mean to hurt … her body just really needed to that and she couldn’t stop…

It’s interfering with her functioning and her relationships.

To the poster that mentioned sensory issues- she definitely has sensory issues and we do a lot of activities at home to give her sensory input … she sleeps with a weighted blanket .. etc

Thank you all for your responses.

Like I said, I’m not looking to just start medication. I want to try therapies and other strategies but I’m assuming I would need a diagnosis if I want insurance or board of Ed to help cover the expenses …

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She’s having a very hard time with regulating her emotions and impulse control. When she’s upset about the smallest thing she starts raging and throwing things .. hurting whoever is next to her. And then she cries after that she didn’t mean to hurt … her body just really needed to that and she couldn’t stop…

To the poster that mentioned sensory issues- she definitely has sensory issues and we do a lot of activities at home to give her sensory input … she sleeps with a weighted blanket .. etc

Like I said, I’m not looking to just start medication. I want to try therapies and other strategies but I’m assuming I would need a diagnosis if I want insurance or board of Ed to help cover the expenses …

The boe does not need a diagnosis from an independent psychiatrist in order to provide services, although it would have been better to start when she was younger. You can also get OT if you have Medicaid or other insurance that pays for therapy. Contact yeled vyalda.

amother
Snowflake

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:35 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Does she have anxiety? Are her meltdowns triggered by rigidity? You may want to look into pandas.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:37 am
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
The boe does not need a diagnosis from an independent psychiatrist in order to provide services, although it would have been better to start when she was younger. You can also get OT if you have Medicaid or other insurance that pays for therapy. Contact yeled vyalda.

She got OT 3x30 when she was younger and then her teacher said she didn’t need anymore and she is not eligible anymore

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:37 am
amother [ Snowflake ] wrote:
Does she have anxiety? Are her meltdowns triggered by rigidity? You may want to look into pandas.

Already took her to the doctor to test for pandas and waiting for results - thanks!

She is not an anxious child and she typically goes with the flow she’s not a rigid kid- but very recently she became more rigid and that’s why I’m checking for pandas …

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:31 am
When my daughter was 5 the pediatrician diagnosed her with ADHD and referred us to a psychiatrist. It’s definitely not too young.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:33 pm
amother [ Birch ] wrote:
When my daughter was 5 the pediatrician diagnosed her with ADHD and referred us to a psychiatrist. It’s definitely not too young.

Did psychiatrist recommend medication at that age ? Did they help you other than medication?

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did psychiatrist recommend medication at that age ? Did they help you other than medication?
We tried a few medications but none of them worked well. We ended up waiting a few years to medicate. The psychiatrist checked her out thoroughly and said she didn’t have other diagnoses so they didn’t help with anything else. But I was happy to know the issues were all due to adhd.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries