Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Houses in Toms River are getting to be as expensive as Lawre
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:25 am
The really nice houses in Toms River are getting to be almost as expensive as in Lawrence.

Whats the rush to go to Toms River now, except to follow those who bought reasonably years ago, especially if Lawrence is so much closer to the city where most people have businesses and relatives?

Can someone explain?

amother
NeonBlue

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:28 am
its the in thing to do.
People are social creatures, sometimes more than practical creatures.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The really nice houses in Toms River are getting to be almost as expensive as in Lawrence.

Whats the rush to go to Toms River now, except to follow those who bought reasonably years ago, especially if Lawrence is so much closer to the city where most people have businesses and relatives?

Can someone explain?

The non mansions which are still reasonably priced are better than the run down tiny houses in five towns. Also the general cost of living is way lower. Tuition, groceries, many cheaper clothing options etc.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:31 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
The non mansions which are still reasonably priced are better than the run down tiny houses in five towns. Also the general cost of living is way lower. Tuition, groceries, many cheaper clothing options etc.

Disagree about the clothing. I live in the five towns and it’s wayyyy more low key than my friends in Toms River.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:32 am
Are you sure it’s the same price? Size of land and house? Seems surprising if that’s true.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:33 am
My friends in 5 towns in the “big” houses still don’t have as much space/land as my friends in Toms River.

mizle10

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:34 am
I’ve never been to Lawrence, but do the houses in the same price range have massive manicured properties with landscaping and many times a pool?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:41 am
mizle10 wrote:
I’ve never been to Lawrence, but do the houses in the same price range have massive manicured properties with landscaping and many times a pool?

I think the main difference is the pools. The houses in TR with huge properties are the same price as houses in Lawrence. Maybe TR houses are slightly large.

HUGE downside of TR is that NOWHERE can you walk to a kosher supermarket. In 5 towns you can.

I wonder how the taxes differ. I hear theyre high in both places.

How hard is getting into Lawrence schools?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:43 am
amother [ Hawthorn ] wrote:
Disagree about the clothing. I live in the five towns and it’s wayyyy more low key than my friends in Toms River.

Having lived in both I strongly disagree with you. And price wise it’s a massive difference.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:53 am
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
Having lived in both I strongly disagree with you. And price wise it’s a massive difference.

Ok… but this is MY experience. My friends in tr are so busy matching they kids and ordering their stella McCartney for next season. And things like floafers.. here some pple will have them for their kids ok.. there you are a strange if every single one of ur kids don’t have them. There’s just way more of a box u need to go into and more of a focus.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 6:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think the main difference is the pools. The houses in TR with huge properties are the same price as houses in Lawrence. Maybe TR houses are slightly large.

HUGE downside of TR is that NOWHERE can you walk to a kosher supermarket. In 5 towns you can.

Are you sure?

From what I understand, a similarly sized house in similar condition on a sinilar sized property In Lawrence runs in the millionS from what I understand. How can you compare that to TR?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 7:51 am
To me a HUGE downside of TR is that theres no walkable kosher supermarket, you cant walk anywhere and Shabbos you have to socialize with people very close, because to get anywhere you have to walk main roads..

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:24 am
The pull for Toms River is that it’s Lakewood with space. The stores and shops are slowly moving in that direction (Seasons is building a store at the 9 and Cox Cro) and you’re no more than 20 min from all of the conveniences of Lakewood while also having trees, grass, a backyard, etc

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
To me a HUGE downside of TR is that theres no walkable kosher supermarket, you cant walk anywhere and Shabbos you have to socialize with people very close, because to get anywhere you have to walk main roads..

Ok, so that's you.
However, people that want LARGE, NEWISH houses and a nice amount of land have a pull to Toms River over Lawrence.
You asked what pulls them.
They get more bang for their buck

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:42 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

So you are comparing the size of the homes but ignoring the size of the properties? You can’t compare a home with land to one without.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I guess it depends where you grew up. I grew up in Lakewood and was not really within short walking distance to any stores. I’m used to it. I have no problem driving. I live in Jackson and there are actually so many stores opening up here. And I wouldn’t give up my huge property plus pool for a bigger house on no land. Houses in Jackson are also a fortune even for average size. Thankfully we bought early on since I definitely wouldn’t be able to afford the million dollars that my (average sized) house is now worth.

amother
Sand

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:45 am
Lol. I love when these conversations pop up.

First of all, a house the size of a typical Toms River house in Lawrence would be 2 to 3 million easy. And the Lawrence house would not be newly renovated.
Second, you are likely comparing to prices in cedarhurst and woodmere. Where 1 million dollars gets you a 2,000 square foot house in need of repair. Not a massive 4,000 house on half an acre.
It's incomparable. And I know as I recently bought a house here and did tons of research. You literally cannot compare the two. The price per square foot in the 5 towns is double.

Oh, and edited to add. My kids in elementary schools tuition is 16,000. I hear lakewood schools are half.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 10:53 am
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
Lol. I love when these conversations pop up.

First of all, a house the size of a typical Toms River house in Lawrence would be 2 to 3 million easy. And the Lawrence house would not be newly renovated.
Second, you are likely comparing to prices in cedarhurst and woodmere. Where 1 million dollars gets you a 2,000 square foot house in need of repair. Not a massive 4,000 house on half an acre.
It's incomparable. And I know as I recently bought a house here and did tons of research. You literally cannot compare the two. The price per square foot in the 5 towns is double.

Oh, and edited to add. My kids in elementary schools tuition is 16,000. I hear lakewood schools are half.

Yes, tuition is also a huge factor especially for those with large families. My son goes to high school in NY and tuition is over 25k. Elementary here in Lakewood is like 6k I think. Not sure about high schools but probably at most half of my son’s tuition.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:17 pm
Op, you’re pretty clueless.
Houses in TR are not nearly the same price range as in Lawrence.
Lawrence is old money, solid wealth.
TR is new money, way cheaper housing then Lawrence.
You’re also discussing things like walking to the supermarket. Why is that even a thing? Everyone has cars and stores deliver.
This whole conversation is all over the place and a little off.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 12:44 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
Op, you’re pretty clueless.
Houses in TR are not nearly the same price range as in Lawrence.
Lawrence is old money, solid wealth.
TR is new money, way cheaper housing then Lawrence.
You’re also discussing things like walking to the supermarket. Why is that even a thing? Everyone has cars and stores deliver.
This whole conversation is all over the place and a little off.

Depends for whom. I know people who moved to Monsey and then back to Brooklyn bec they were living in their cars, all week long. They said theyd rather have smaller houses and not be doing errands and carpooling all day.

Some in the 5 towns can walk to a supermarket.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics