Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Out of the box wedding venues in NY/NJ area

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 2:47 pm
Hi! My younger sister just got engaged. She is very modern and lives in a different country from us. She is thinking of getting married here so that our family can be present, but she does not want to hold the wedding in a hall. Can anyone suggest a more unconventional venue in the NY or NJ area where we could plan a small wedding, and in which both she and her irreligious husband-to-be, and our yeshivish family might be comfortable? Thanks in advance!

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 2:59 pm
I don't know how "unconventional" you want, but there's Addison Park in Aberdeen NJ which does do kosher weddings, but also has beautiful grounds for an outdoor chupah.

Also do you want inexpensive? Or more high end? That would help narrow things down.

Random places I've been invited to or heard of:
The Surf Club, New Rochelle, NY
South Gate Manor, Freehold NJ
Excelsior Grand, Staten Island NY

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:09 pm
I wouldn’t call it unconventional necessarily, but Eagle Ridge golf club in Lakewood is smaller and very nice. I think any crowd would feel comfortable there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:13 pm
I think she would prefer something small and intimate. Money is also a factor, as they will most likely be having a second event where they live, and probably can't spend much on either. I was thinking more along the lines of funky restaurants/boutique hotels for her.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:15 pm
An outdoor affair is always tricky with the weather

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:18 pm
Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. They have a small indoor and outdoor wedding venue

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think she would prefer something small and intimate. Money is also a factor, as they will most likely be having a second event where they live, and probably can't spend much on either. I was thinking more along the lines of funky restaurants/boutique hotels for her.
So not really a funky restaurant or anything, but we also got married in america so that the grandparents could be present. We got married in Fair Lawn Jewish Center. This was almost 2 decades ago, but it was nice and intimate. It was not a big affair at all. The hall was lovely. I cant remember if they have their own kosher caterer or we brought on in, but it was all very nice.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 3:59 pm
Sheraton in deal?

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:14 pm
I don't know if this is up to date.
https://www.chossonandkallah.c......html
Or maybe rent a house for the night.

DVOM

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 4:26 pm
Do you have any friends with a beautiful backyard?

This would be my dream wedding!

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:26 pm
You didnt specify the range of their budget but on the lower side you have The Boathouse at Prospect Park and on the higher side you have Brooklyn Academy of Music. Although these prices are low compared to the costs of weddings at a Jewish hall. You would also have to find out if they would allow a Kosher caterer to use their facilities.

https://www.herecomestheguide......0Year

https://www.eventective.com/br......html

Here are some more options but you would have to check each one to see if its appropriate for you (in regards to prices and kosher options and any covid restrictions)-- https://withjoy.com/blog/uniqu.....-nyc/

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/.....-nyc/

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:06 pm
I was at a wedding in the art factory in Paterson nj. It was different, unique and absolutely stunning! I don't know anything about cost, all I can say is that everyone enjoyed

amother
Cognac

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:52 pm
What about the swan club around 23rd street on the east river? (We drive past it on the FDR)

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:52 pm
I was at a small covid wedding at the Jewish Heritage Museum in Manhattan. The chuppah was held in a room overlooking the water around sunset and it was just gorgeous. The reception was in a beautiful hall and it was very elegant.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:09 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I was at a wedding in the art factory in Paterson nj. It was different, unique and absolutely stunning! I don't know anything about cost, all I can say is that everyone enjoyed

I was there also. So pretty and different.
I also went to a wedding on a horse farm upstate NY. That was so different.
The meal was in a barn with dirt floors and bails of hay around.
For the meal they had several people doing a bbq.
There were non frum people all the way to ultra chassidish. Was super fun. But no clue how much it cost.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:37 pm
I am not sure what general vicinity you are in, but you might look for an Elks or Moose Lodge type of place, some of them have very nice halls. You can also look into spaces at any nearby universities, most of them will rent their facilities. I live in Central NJ (not Lakewood) and I wanted a different kind of venue for my son's bar mitzvah dinner (not on shabbos). I looked at a bunch of social clubs like an Italian American club, a Danish American home, and actually a Polish American club which was almost perfect but I decided the idea rubbed me the wrong way. On the lower budget end, a lot of irehouses and EMSs/ambulance places have social halls they rent out. A conservative shul or a museum might also be a good choice.

ladYdI

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 12:05 am
We had a company event on a boat! And then my mom made sheva bruchos on one as well. If it’s summer
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics