Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Meals for new mom 9 days
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 7:21 pm
amother [ Brickred ] wrote:
Even if boys can cook it’s not fair to expect them to cook supper for the family every night after mom has a baby.
Why should we expect the 18 yo son to make suppers any more than saying why can’t the dad make supper?

Actually I agree with you. Why isn't the dad cooking? He can make up a casserole the night before (boil up the pasta and mix sauce and cheese etc) and have thr pan in the refrigerator ready to be put into the oven thr next day. Or prep the fish in a pan. Sounds like there are other kids old enough to put the prepped food in the oven and turn it on.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 7:34 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Actually I agree with you. Why isn't the dad cooking? He can make up a casserole the night before (boil up the pasta and mix sauce and cheese etc) and have thr pan in the refrigerator ready to be put into the oven thr next day. Or prep the fish in a pan. Sounds like there are other kids old enough to put the prepped food in the oven and turn it on.

People!!! She didn't ask if she should
She asked for ideas!

Believe me, very few pple are getting all their meals made at baby #10+. Hubby and older kids are plenty busy with the rest of the meals and the other children and their day jobs. Will they starve without their family and friends sending food? No. But they will feel their load lightened and the warm and fuzzies of someone lightening the load when op sends supper.

If op wants to do a chesed, help her out and give her ideas!! Sheesh

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:22 pm
Op is asking for ideas. I don’t think the mother or family expects everyone to make her meals, op wants to do her friend a favor.

Some other ideas that are not too expensive are homemade pizza, fries and salad

If you want to do fish breaded tilapia is on the cheaper end.

If able to make and drop off right away, someone made my family grilled cheese (I believe they did a bunch at once in the oven) and it was so fresh and yum.

effess

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:27 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:

Your ideas are wonderful. Hold it for when the OP asks advice for this.
Until then, as I tell my kids, put it in your pocket.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 8:34 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
People!!! She didn't ask if she should
She asked for ideas!

Believe me, very few pple are getting all their meals made at baby #10+. Hubby and older kids are plenty busy with the rest of the meals and the other children and their day jobs. Will they starve without their family and friends sending food? No. But they will feel their load lightened and the warm and fuzzies of someone lightening the load when op sends supper.

If op wants to do a chesed, help her out and give her ideas!! Sheesh

I can't like this post enough !! Thank you! Applause

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:01 pm
effess wrote:
Your ideas are wonderful. Hold it for when the OP asks advice for this.
Until then, as I tell my kids, put it in your pocket.

This wasn't advice for op. Plenty of recipes and food ideas already listed, at this point there aren't too many 9 days options that haven't been listed. It was in response to a post that was so passionate and earnest abt how wrong it was to ask a teenage boy to prepare food that "you might as well ask the dad, of all pple! to prepare the food once you are expecting a boy to do so" as though that's the most inconceivable & wrong idea ever, for a pp mother to rely on her husband, in 2022. It struck me as funny that's all so my post was just supposed to be humorous commentary. Obviously nobody else saw the humor in it.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 9:18 pm
They're probably getting baked ziti every night already.

I would do tuna croquettes, mashed potatoes, and a big salad, and watermelon for dessert.

Or, since it's a big crowd, maybe a veggie taco night? A big pan of rice, a big pan of refried beans, some cut up lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado, maybe a can or corn, plus a bag of shredded cheese, a jar of salsa, and a couple of bags of tortilla chips.

dankbar

Post Sun, Jul 31 2022, 11:46 pm
French onion soup with melted cheese
Pan of lukshen cheese kugel
Caesar salad
Yogurt fruit smoothie

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:22 am
I find it hard to make meals for people but always wonder what is the point of ordering them pizza - they could just order it themselves

if you send a big pot of vegetable soup then anything can go with it really because they've had something hearty and filling - tuna and egg wraps/sandwiches/tuna patties/ quiches etc

Kol hakavod I would love to start making meals for people when I am able to

octopus

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:54 am
The people making annoying comments that have nothing to do with the question in the original op, and who are very "tough" on people, I like to think they are young posters who have very little life experience. Sometimes moms of very large families have very difficult births when they have so many kids. Think along the lines of blood transfusion difficult. Much higher hemhoraging risks. Dad may have a lot on his plate right now. Op, you are doing a beautiful chessed.

Raisin

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:26 am
I would think that pasta is probably one of the things her kids or husband could easily make, most ppl know how to boil a pot of pasta and add sauce and cheese...

I think an egg dish like frittata or shakshuka is a great idea, a bit more nutritious and less carby for the new mother. (and cheap) Also a big veg lentil soup - so easy and cheap, use frozen veggies like carrots and squash to save time. Plus a side like rice or potatoes and some salad.

So nice of you!

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:33 am
amother [ Sage ] wrote:

The dad might be busy taking care of other things, plus who said he is home? By my second or third day home, my husband is back to his regular work schedule- that means he’s not home before (usually) around 8:00 or 9:00, way too late for my kids to be eating. I personally don’t take meals after having a baby, but if someone does, why can’t people just do a nice thing? If you don’t want to, or can’t, then don’t. But there are plenty of people who are willing and able to help out. Honestly one less thing that someone else in the house has to do is a HUGE help, so just let people help.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:39 am
amother [ Watermelon ] wrote:
The dad might be busy taking care of other things, plus who said he is home? By my second or third day home, my husband is back to his regular work schedule- that means he’s not home before (usually) around 8:00 or 9:00, way too late for my kids to be eating. I personally don’t take meals after having a baby, but if someone does, why can’t people just do a nice thing? If you don’t want to, or can’t, then don’t. But there are plenty of people who are willing and able to help out. Honestly one less thing that someone else in the house has to do is a HUGE help, so just let people help.

And sometimes the husband knows how to cook but he needs help with instructions so the wife has to answer from her bed "yes switch on to high, turn it off no it's not burning oh ok let me come and check if it's salty enough" you get the picture.

It can be a real chessed to have a hearty delicious meal all prepared for you.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 12:37 pm
We like soup all year round. I would send lentil soup with garlic bread and a salad.

Or crustless quiche, mashed potatoes, salad.

tweety1

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:02 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
Why don’t you teach your boys to cook too?

Nobody taught dh to cook either. When the time came he learned on the job. Today he's a great cook. He's the official challah baker in my house.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics