Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days
Help me plan my husbands siyum hashas

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:31 pm
I’m so excited and starting to plan, it’s iyh end of august.
I will have 30 people for sit down meal, and 50-70 for dessert buffet. What quantities do I need for the meal and for the dessert? Thinking for the main to do a grilled chicken salad to start, then soup, then meat, green beans and mashed potatoes. Dessert will be hot cake with ice cream. Buffet will be lot of pastries, kugel, not sure what else l…

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m so excited and starting to plan, it’s iyh end of august.
I will have 30 people for sit down meal, and 50-70 for dessert buffet. What quantities do I need for the meal and for the dessert? Thinking for the main to do a grilled chicken salad to start, then soup, then meat, green beans and mashed potatoes. Dessert will be hot cake with ice cream. Buffet will be lot of pastries, kugel, not sure what else l…

I'm not good at party planning but MAZEL TOV!! What a tremendous accomplishment and milestone. You must be so proud! And everyone knows a husband's learning is so linked with his wife's support.

amother
Vanilla

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:41 pm
Mazel Tov to you and your husband!!

Plated grilled chicken salad is a great appetizer. Don't forget challah roll at each seat.

Do you have enough people to help you serve? If not, I would skip the soup. It takes a long time to get that out. You really don't need an extra course after the salad.

For the main, love the meat, green beans and mashed potatoes. Maybe add some kind of individual cobbler/sweet kugel, like apple or pumpkin?

Also, if you are having a dessert buffet, why is there a plated dessert beforehand? You can go straight to benching and then set up a dessert buffet right after for those that were there for the meal and others just invited for dessert. Here are a few suggestions for the buffet, aside from pastries:

Mousse cups
Individual fruit cups or trifle bowls with cubed fruit (each type in a separate bowl)
Chocolate drizzled or other fancy popcorn
Chocolate covered pretzels

Chayalle

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:43 pm
Wow Mazal Tov OP!

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:50 pm
Mazal tov! Op can I ask how much you expect to pay for all of this? My husband also has an upcoming siyum and id love to make a fancy party but I dont know how much a party even is (we have small babies so I never planned a party before...)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:55 pm
Thank you all!
It’s a good idea to skip dessert - I didn’t think of that.
Regarding soup - I’m having a waiter so should be ok
I’m budgeting up to $1,500

losingweight

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:33 am
Mazel tov! The only way your husband is able to make this siyum is because YOU were at his side enabling him to go learn. So the siyum is just as much yours as it is his! May you be zocha the brachos that come with learning.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Other special days