Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to manage with playgroup drop-off/pickup &bus schedules?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:35 pm
Considering an office job for the first time since having kids.

Will have a school bus and playgroup pickup/dropoff.

How do I expect to manage both and work timing? I'll be working part-time.

How does everyone do it? Honestly asking because I'm trying to figure this out.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:56 pm
We need more information about timing.
Is your husband available at all? My husband does first drop off on his way to shul and a playground drop off on his way to work

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 1:58 pm
What are your school hours? I can tell you what works for me but it may not be relevant to you.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:01 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
We need more information about timing.
Is your husband available at all? My husband does first drop off on his way to shul and a playground drop off on his way to work

School timing isn't confirmed yet. My husband works elsewhere so he's not available at all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:02 pm
mha3484 wrote:
What are your school hours? I can tell you what works for me but it may not be relevant to you.

Do tell and let's see if it works for me Wink

None of my timings are confirmed yet since I'm thinking about how to make it work.

amother
Moonstone

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:07 pm
For the morning, one of used to wait at the bus stop or drop off kids at school while the other continued to get everyone else ready and then took them to their playgroups. Or the same parent would take the kids first to school, then the rest to playgroups.
For pickups, I would start picking up a few minutes early from the earliest pickup in order to at least be on time for 1 or 2 kids and not late. Sometimes we had extended hours for pickup so that helped with staggering. Then we'd usually have some time to drive around a little until it was time to pick up from school, or go home and wait for the bus, depending on if there was bussing.
Do you want more specifics, like the exact times?

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:10 pm
I usually do mornings and my husband does afternoon pickups. Sometimes we switch if something at work requires it.
Can your husband start earlier and leave earlier from work?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:12 pm
Would be amazing if I had the option of DH being there for one pickup, but it's not an option.

Let me get school timing first and I guess I can take it from there. Asked the potential playgroup if she would be able to take my child a bit earlier and have me pick up later, so let's see what she says.

amother
Daphne

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:14 pm
I sent to an extended hours playgroup and work from 9:30 to 3. I give myself 15 minutes before start time and after end time to find a playgroup/babysitter that works for me with the timing. the location needs to be close enough to work obviously. so I send my youngers out from 9:15 to 3:15. it cuts it close and many times I come to work a few minutes late but the end time usually works out well for me.

my kids busses always come before I leave with the littles and after I come home already so that's usually not an issue for me that I need to work around.

mha3484

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:15 pm
Last year I had 2 elementary boys and one in what we call Nursery (the year before pre1). My two littlest were home with DH. He works from home. I work very close to my house. But he is tied to the computer in the morning and is more free later in the day.

I put the two big boys on the bus at 8:15 and for my sanity I made the decision I did not care when my son in N got to school so once they were on, I got ready to leave took him to school and myself to work. He had a 2pm pick up which either I used my lunch break for if I had the car or my husband picked him up if he did. My older two came home on the bus.

This year I will have 3 on the bus (one minyan two regular start). Once they are on at 8:15 I take the time for myself and leave around 9. Playgroups here start at 9 and some offer early drop off. My plan with my 3 year old may be changing since she wont use the bathroom. But if she goes I signed her up at my neighbor so my husband can walk down the street to get her.

In some places schools start after 9 and that would be a big problem for me.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 2:39 pm
I find one of us needs to be flexible. If your husband isn’t available then you really need a job that will be ok with you coming late, leaving early, taking work home if necessary.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Sep 10 2022, 11:59 pm
Started work the past week. Playgroup begins at 9 and finishes at 4 so that’s not an issue.

BUT my Nursery school child’s bus route begins around 2:30 in the afternoon and got to my house at 9:40. Which is really really tight.

I may have the option of having her leave from the playgroup since the bus stops there as well. That might mean that I won’t always see her off and I’m not sure what to do.’

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Sep 11 2022, 1:59 am
My part time job I took is 10-2 so I can easily do drop off, bus send offs and pickups. And I made it clear when I took the job that I need flexibility for school plays and appointments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics