Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Moving to Isreal
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:49 pm
Hi
We are a young couple with a toddler. We just arrived in Isreal thinking we can find a place to live with very little money. Either working in exchange for a place to stay or just making it work somehow. Is there a way to come to Isreal with nothing and make it work? We want to live on a small piece of land we are very simple. Want to have a small garden and would even live in a cabin or permanent tent. Right now we have nowhere to go and it seems like it’s impossible to live here without making money. Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
We are a young couple with a toddler. We just arrived in Isreal thinking we can find a place to live with very little money. Either working in exchange for a place to stay or just making it work somehow. Is there a way to come to Isreal with nothing and make it work? We want to live on a small piece of land we are very simple. Want to have a small garden and would even live in a cabin or permanent tent. Right now we have nowhere to go and it seems like it’s impossible to live here without making money. Any insight or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

It's impossible to live in most places without making money.

Most people (aside from refugees) arrive with some sort of plan. (A tent?? Why?)

Are you here as a tourist? Or under some other type of visa?

I'd go back after your stay is over, or if you are here under some sort of longer framework (student, etc.) use the time to make some sort of actual plan before actually making aliyah.

Last edited by DrMom on Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 3:58 pm
I mean, NO money? Youd have to be living off grid type of lifestyle then, making your own electricity, water, planting your own food.
Other than that, I would think you need money to live.
Where are you staying now? You made aliyah with no plans at all? I wish you much luck but it is definitely not going to be easy.
Are you on social media? You should put feelers out if anyone knows of such living accommodations like you are talking about.

DrMom

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:04 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
I mean, NO money? Youd have to be living off grid type of lifestyle then, making your own electricity, water, planting your own food.
Other than that, I would think you need money to live.
Where are you staying now? You made aliyah with no plans at all? I wish you much luck but it is definitely not going to be easy.
Are you on social media? You should put feelers out if anyone knows of such living accommodations like you are talking about.

You could join a Bedouin tribe?

On a serious note, perhaps there is some Negev kibbutz that can offer you something....

chanchy123

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:06 pm
Do you intend to get jobs or do you expect to continue living with no money?
Israel doesn't just have plots of land to give out to people who want to set up camp - and even if it would, you'd still need to buy food and stuff.
If you're really up to roughing it on a barren plot of land, you can always join a hilltop community living essentially off the grid. You would be under threat of evacuation obviously, but you could probably live in a shack or caravan or tent for not very much.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:26 pm
I don't know of anyone in Israel who would give you a small piece of land in exchange for work. Property costs money wherever you are. As suggested you can go live in the negev with the bedouins, who won't be very welcoming, or go live in an illegal hilltop outpost.
It doesn't sound like you've really thought this true.
You might try growing your own vegetables and buying a few chickens and a goat but even then you'll need a pen for your livestock and something to feed them. If they're roaming freely, some predator, human or animal, is bound to make off with them. You'll need to be able to buy some food for yourself and your toddler too until your crops are ready. How are you planning to pay for electricity? Will you have a phone?
You say it seems to you it’s impossible to live in Israel without making money. That sounds about right.

SG18

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:29 pm
Is this a real question? There are definitely cheaper areas to live in, but everything costs money.
We weren't working for a while when we first got here, but we had savings.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:38 pm
I think you can rent caravans on yishuvim for very cheap.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:41 pm
amother [ Tanzanite ] wrote:
I think you can rent caravans on yishuvim for very cheap.
Some yishuvim have this option, but it is still paying money. Not free like the OP is hoping.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 4:43 pm
Delete

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 5:03 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
This does not sound real. And speaking of real, it's not ISREAL, it's ISRAEL. Anyone who actually made aliyah would know this. So please pack up your tent and your trolling and get a basic education.

This.

Strange trolling topic btw, but hey, to each their own!

Bein Hazmanim has hit…

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 11:05 pm
Fact of life #1: food and shelter cost money. Wherever you live in the world.

salt

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 2:15 am
Sounds a bit like OP is still in biblical times, reminds me of some passuk like "And it came to pass, and and Abraham came to Canaan and pitched his tent ..."

On a more serious note, are there still old style kibbutzim in Israel where you work for the kibbutz and live in a house which is owned by the kibbutz - I don't actually know, but that could be an option.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 2:55 am
salt wrote:
Sounds a bit like OP is still in biblical times, reminds me of some passuk like "And it came to pass, and and Abraham came to Canaan and pitched his tent ..."

On a more serious note, are there still old style kibbutzim in Israel where you work for the kibbutz and live in a house which is owned by the kibbutz - I don't actually know, but that could be an option.

There are a few, but you have to apply for membership of the kibbutz, and need somewhere to live in the meantime. The kibbutz may or may not accept you. There needs to be an alternate plan.

About the only situation where you can come with nothing is a single person joining the army. Then they look after you a bit.

byisrael

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 3:55 am
Guys - don't bash the op, she already did this.

Now she needs help.

I think that your best bet would be mercaz klita. It will not be the rural off grid lifestyle you are interested in but it will be a landing space and doesn't cost money.

Then you need some kind of plan because Mercaz klita isnt forever.
Start by getting jobs. Janglo and NBN can be good resources for this
Some options I can think about:
Join a hilltop community
You will still need some sort of job and a car is a must because it is in middle of no where, but you can use your sal klita money and no car tax benefit as an oleh. According to the sal klita calculator you would get 47,000 nis in 8 payments, that's enough for a decent car and a tiny second hand caravan( so you can move your home every time you get kicked out) afterwards you get a much smaller stipend of dmei kiyum for a while. I have no clue how you find them.

Find a Kibbutz to join
It is a long acceptance process and many kibbutzim are privatizing, but there are a fe' old style kibbutzim left. I will say that it is the direct opposite of a hilltop lifestyle - total stability - they give you jobs ect. but no freedom. My aunt on a kibbutz needs to ask permission take the kibbutz car to go visit her kids....
Here are some religious kibbutzim that are accepting
https://www.kibbutz.org.il/he/.....d=All

I saw an article from misrad hachaklaut about giving nachalot up north for free, but you need to invest money and turn the land into a productive farm. I think there are also loans but farming is an expensive investment...
I have no clue about getting the land, but this is the article.
https://www.israelhayom.co.il/.....07255
It sound like you need a job as well and some money to get started

I think the most practical move would be to get jobs and move to a legal yishuv where you eventually can afford to buy some land. Rent a small place, get jobs, and work towards buying land.
Here are some cheap places in dati yishuvim....
If you don't speak hebrew you should probably pick a place with an english speaking community like Kochav yaakov, but I am including a wide rang apartments under 2,000 nis in yishuvim.

https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....-2000
https://www.yad2.co.il/realest.....-2000\

You do need jobs. The best recommendation if you are going to a yishuv is to go remote USA.
What is your work experience/schooling?
Job boards that can help:
https://www.outsourcingtoisrae.....ard/#!/search?page=1
https://www.janglo.net/jobs
https://www.nbn.org.il/jobboard/
There are whatsapp groups as well - pm me for info

DrMom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:05 am
byisrael wrote:

Find a Kibbutz to join
It is a long acceptance process and many kibbutzim are privatizing, but there are a fe' old style kibbutzim left. I will say that it is the direct opposite of a hilltop lifestyle - total stability - they give you jobs ect. but no freedom. My aunt on a kibbutz needs to ask permission take the kibbutz car to go visit her kids....
Here are some religious kibbutzim that are accepting
https://www.kibbutz.org.il/he/.....d=All

Keep in mind that the vast majority of kibbutzim are not like this at all and are indeed much more privatized. Most kibbutzniks I know own cars and drive wherever they want.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
OP, if this is a real post, where are you staying now? or did you get off the plane and just hope youd find free accommodations?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:25 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
OP, if this is a real post, where are you staying now? or did you get off the plane and just hope youd find free accommodations?
\

I really think this attitude is unhelpful. We are not allowed to call troll - you can report if you are suspicious.

We need to go with the assumption this is real.

Presumably they are staying with family/ in Misrad haklita.

Although this isn't the way anglo's usually make aliya, and its got to make thing more complicated and difficult, many people have made aliya like this from russia or other old USSR countries and it was very difficult for a long time but they are ok.

I am sure op now realizes that this want a practical way to do things. Now she needs help. Can we do that without piling in the guilt I am sure she is feeling already?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:35 am
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
\

I really think this attitude is unhelpful. We are not allowed to call troll - you can report if you are suspicious.

We need to go with the assumption this is real.

Presumably they are staying with family/ in Misrad haklita.

Although this isn't the way anglo's usually make aliya, and its got to make thing more complicated and difficult, many people have made aliya like this from russia or other old USSR countries and it was very difficult for a long time but they are ok.

I am sure op now realizes that this want a practical way to do things. Now she needs help. Can we do that without piling in the guilt I am sure she is feeling already?
I never called anyone a troll, I was just asking where they were staying, if this was real. Thats all.

ysydmom

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 6:38 am
OP did you reach out to nefesh bnefesh or yad l'olim maybe they can help. I know that Yad L'olim is setting people up to work with elal since they are short staffed. Maybe you can do something like that and ask them about housing as well.

They did rent out hotels for the ukraine refugees maybe they can put you up in one of the hotels?
;
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions