Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Getting a Dog
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:10 pm
Its become more acceptable to have the cutesy fluffy dogs, especially if you say its for therapy for one kid. But some people will avoid your house. And they are SO MUCH WORK. Most frum people do not have the energy and funds to take that on.

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:12 pm
Watergirl, just curious: What color basenji did you have? I think I'm drawn to a brindle one.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:41 pm
I just googled basenjis - never heard of them before - and they are super cute!!

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:42 pm
I've had pets almost my whole life. It's more normal for me to have pets than not. We currently have 2 dogs and yet when they pass away I'm not going to replace them.

We definitely can't host like some of our friends who don't have dogs. Many people have allergies and lots of people have dog phobias. One of our dogs does not like visitors and will bark at strangers and that is a HUGE issue. Yet, we can't rehome it for many reasons, least of which is that we love it.

It's hard to know what a dog's personality will turn into from a puppy. It's also hard to get a pound puppy. You never really know what they went through.

Taking trips and vacation requires coordination.

On the other hand, they are nice to have around when I'm alone at home. We live in an okay neighborhood but we are definitely seeing a rise in break ins and crime around us.

watergirl

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 9:55 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
Thanks watergirl. Awesome that you had a basenji! I'm actually an experienced dog owner and I know that they're highly intelligent, respond well to positivity (and will pee in your slippers if given negativity! LOL), and can be very destructive when bored. Such is the nature of the breed.

I actually wanted to be dog breeder when I was growing up. I've had Timber wolf/siberian husky mixes, a St. Bernard/border collie mix, a GSD/malamute mix, and more. But a basenji is calling my name! My personal dog was the GSD/malamute mix and he so well trained I could put a steak in front of him and he wouldn't touch it.

When I came into the chasidishe community I thought my dog days are over... But they're not. My husband is totally fine with getting one at this point, and my kids are desperate for one. We're moving out of the area, hopefully, so the dog won't be traumatized by the people who'd running screaming from it... Wink

We can be frum, in love with Hashem and following halacha... and still have a dog. No need to divorce my personality.

Awesome!! Go for it! I have a soft spot for whatever is at the shelter but in the past I’ve had pugs, a shitzu, a black lab, and more shelter randos.

Not_in_my_town wrote:
Watergirl, just curious: What color basenji did you have? I think I'm drawn to a brindle one.

She was I think they call it “chestnut red” but honestly it was just brown. Really beautiful coloring.

We did not have her for very long sadly due to certain circumstances. I was able to rehome her by calling a local Basenji rescue group. They found a fantastic family and gave her a wonderful home with far more room in space than she could have hoped for.

Right now, one of my dogs is very smart and one of my dogs is pretty smart but it’s mostly lazy and that’s OK with us! One of them we’ve had now for nine years (she is approximately 12 years old but we’re not sure really) and the other one for three years (he’s four). I am extremely attached to these puppies as there my children and husband.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:15 pm
hodeez wrote:
They're the most tumadik animal. I would also love a dog, I had one when I was single. We actually had to confirm with my son's yeshiva that we were not planning on getting a dog, apparently it's that important 🤷

Oh please, that’s so nuts. I have a dog and couldn’t care less what anyone thinks, more people love him than don’t. Non pet owners don’t know what they’re missing and they’re very good for kids.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:16 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Also because it's a tamei animal and there are problems with chillul Shabbos. You're not allowed to touch it/ walk it on Shabbos.

Why are you saying things you have no clue about? You’re wrong on both counts. It’s not chillulShabbos, and you are allowed to touch it and you can walk it on a leash as long as you hold the leash taut.

Go check the Hilchos Shabbos books and stop spreading misinformation.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:21 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Its become more acceptable to have the cutesy fluffy dogs, especially if you say its for therapy for one kid. But some people will avoid your house. And they are SO MUCH WORK. Most frum people do not have the energy and funds to take that on.

No they’re not so much work. Did you ever have one? It’s just a matter of putting down food and water twice a day and taking them for a walk. Bath every few weeks. Finished.

imasinger

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:25 pm
Those who own dogs, how did you handle the spay/neuter issue?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:26 pm
My very frum parents have a dog in a very yeshivish neighborhood. They simply don’t care what ppl think anymore. And it’s mainly for a sibling that benefits from having it.

My parents’ next door neighbor, super yeshivish sefardí family, just recently got a dog too. I guess if one person doesn’t care about the stigma, it helps change the general attitude.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:46 pm
Thank you all for your help, input and thoughts! I think we're going to get one!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:47 pm
amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:
No they’re not so much work. Did you ever have one? It’s just a matter of putting down food and water twice a day and taking them for a walk. Bath every few weeks. Finished.

I think the so much work is in the beginning. All the training. No?

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 10:54 pm
amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:

Taking them for a walk rain, shine, or snow. Hot weather or cold. Whether you are tired or feeling sick. Cleaning up after if that's the law where you live. Figuring out arrangements if you want to go away for the day, or a Shabbos.
Obviously if you are motivated, you do it. But there's definitely ongoing responsibility that goes along with it.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 11:11 pm
hodeez wrote:
They're the most tumadik animal. I would also love a dog, I had one when I was single. We actually had to confirm with my son's yeshiva that we were not planning on getting a dog, apparently it's that important 🤷

Really? Have you never heard of a pig? Scratching Head

essie14

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 11:20 pm
Tons of our neighbors have dogs. I want one but DH doesn't 😒
And my mother probably wouldn't step foot into our house if we had one.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 11:21 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Taking them for a walk rain, shine, or snow. Hot weather or cold. Whether you are tired or feeling sick. Cleaning up after if that's the law where you live. Figuring out arrangements if you want to go away for the day, or a Shabbos.
Obviously if you are motivated, you do it. But there's definitely ongoing responsibility that goes along with it.

This. Also keep in mind the financial commitment that comes with getting a pet.

realsilver

Post Mon, Aug 01 2022, 11:46 pm
I'm fascinated by this basenji.
Theres a medrash that the dogs in mitzrayim didnt bark when the yidden left, or something like that?
Does that have anything to do with it?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 12:00 am
I hate when people treat their dog like a kid. Like call themselves a “mom” cuz they have a dog. As long as you put your kids first, and realize that an animal is not a human.

Not_in_my_town

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 12:00 am
realsilver wrote:
I'm fascinated by this basenji.
Theres a medrash that the dogs in mitzrayim didnt bark when the yidden left, or something like that?
Does that have anything to do with it?

Hmmm. That's interesting, but by virtue of mentioning what they DIDN'T do, I wonder if it meant to imply that they COULD but didn't. Or... Maybe they were made to be the barkless dog in commeration of the event? Like the Nile crocodile was said to have been created only for the makkos and it was kept as a memorial to the event.

Who knows?

But basenjis aren't completely quiet, as watergirl said. They yodel and whine and "talk..."

They're really, really cute and super smart. Really not for a first time dog owner or someone who doens't know how to be leader of the pack. A dog has to know his place, especially a basenji.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 12:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I think the so much work is in the beginning. All the training. No?

Are you getting a puppy? They require training. Dogs are smart though and they pick it up quickly. I never got a puppy, I got full grown (I’m on my 3rd) each time so wouldn’t have to deal with training.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets