Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Desperately need clothing but on a tight budget
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 1:03 am
I'm looking for online website with good return policies that sell tznius dresses/clothing.
All of my clothes have holes and/or stains because I kept buying from SheIn and they are horrible quality
DH says better to spend a bit more for better clothing but still don't want to spend a ton
Ideas?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:22 am
asos? I find they are reasonable and their stuff is better than shein.

fiji

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:31 am
Mayas place. Reasonably priced and very simple returns

amother
Anemone

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:36 am
H&M quality is better than shein. I personally buy a lot there for myself and kids. They usually have lots of tznius dresses, tops and skirts. In the winter I do better with tops, the summer ones are hard to find tznius. Look out for sales, there is regularly a 20% off coupon too.

Aurora

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:44 am
I use thredup.com, or go to a thrift store in person. If you find a secondhand shop in a good neighborhood, you can get some really nice things cheap.

If you go to a thrift store, pay attention to the fabric, and how the clothing was made. Is the fabric natural? Does the pattern match up? How were the seams finished?

If it's well made and fits you, it will almost always look better than something cheaply made.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:57 am
Where do you live? If you're in the tri-state area it's worth a trip to Serendipity in Lakewood. The have used clothes in excellent condition and new clothes also. Prices are very cheap.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:03 am
amother [ Bluebonnet ] wrote:
Where do you live? If you're in the tri-state area it's worth a trip to Serendipity in Lakewood. The have used clothes in excellent condition and new clothes also. Prices are very cheap.

I live in Bklyn, is it worth the shlep to NJ?
Thank u so much!

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:19 am
Agree with above poster. H and M is your best bet. Def not Shein.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:22 am
I have gotten some of my best clothes at goodwill in the more high end suburbs.

I have also gotten some more then decent stuff on amazon.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in Bklyn, is it worth the shlep to NJ?
Thank u so much!

I think so, especially if you would get for your kids at the same time. But I haven't been there very recently.

Aurora

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 2:22 pm
Not sure you need to travel out to NJ. Brooklyn has some expensive neighborhoods. I'd look around there first.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 2:37 pm
Aurora wrote:
Not sure you need to travel out to NJ. Brooklyn has some expensive neighborhoods. I'd look around there first.

Do you know of any secondhand stores in expensive neighborhoods in Brooklyn?

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 2:41 pm
Old Navy is very inexpensive and had cute dresses this season.

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:27 pm
Also, shop during clearance seasons. Even more expensive shops are eager to get rid of their summer inventory and prices are way more reasonable.

Aurora

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:28 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
Do you know of any secondhand stores in expensive neighborhoods in Brooklyn?

No, but if you search on google maps you can see where they are.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 4:36 pm
Basically all my clothes are h&m, zara, cos and uniqlo (and I dress very much in style and on trend)
Quality is great! Much better than the expensive jewish stores imho.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 5:24 pm
I strongly disagree about shein.
Yes, a lot of their clothing is poor quality, cheap junk.
BUT a decent percentage is wonderful, and where else can you find beautiful skirts that cover your knee for $12? Nice dresses for $18?

OP, here is what I do.
I order a ton of stuff, knowing that I'll be returning a good 50-70% of it due to poor quality or weird fit.
I order each item in 3 sizes.
I get my humongous order, devote my whole night to trying everything on, putting what I dont want back in the box and clicking on returns, printing the return label (returns are completely free!) And the next day I send it back.
I have many many dresses, skirts and tops that are beautiful and look nice quality, and I got them for pennies.
You just need to have the patience to try lots of things on and send most back.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 6:31 pm
another vote for goodwill and thredup they are the best places to shop on a budget.

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 6:42 pm
Quote:
I strongly disagree about shein.
Yes, a lot of their clothing is poor quality, cheap junk.
BUT a decent percentage is wonderful, and where else can you find beautiful skirts that cover your knee for $12? Nice dresses for $18?

Same experience.
Most of my wardrobe including shoes over the past two years is from Shein. I remember one dress getting a hole, otherwise I have never had a quality issue.
If your clothes are getting damaged so quickly, maybe you need to look out better for quality issues when trying them on, and always make sure you're washing them properly.
I have not found H&M or Zara to be any better looking or longer lasting than Shein, as long as you keep the right pieces to begin with
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics