Home
Log in / Sign Up
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Interior Designer- price and are you happy you did it?



Post new topic   Reply to topic View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother
OP


 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 1:15 am
Can anyone give me a ballpark price for the cost of hiring a designer? Either for a kitchen only job, or full house design.

Does it save money by them finding better deals?

Are you happy you did it? Was it worth it to you?
Back to top

Not_in_my_town




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 7:05 am
Following. I dabble in interior decorating unprofessionally and helped several people turn their homes from drab to fab and I plan to begin a professional training program in a couple months, b'ezras Hashem, but I'm curious how much demand there is...
Back to top

amother
White


 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:39 am
I am quite frugal usually, but the times I could afford it - a good designer is so so worth it!!!
Back to top

cupcake123




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:51 am
I had a designer come with me to the tile store and kitchen store. Tile store took a while maybe 4 hours? Kitchen store took maybe 2 hours ? She charged $125 an hour
For the tile store it was totally worth it! It's so overwhelming and there are so many options.
For the kitchen I feel like decor wise I could've chosen myself but I'm happy she came bec she helped with things I would not have thought of like adding another garbage and moving the cabinets, taking away cabinets..
Back to top

amother
Amaryllis


 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:17 am
I had a fabulous designer when I did a gut remodel (including kitchens and baths) as well as a complete redecoration of interior.

It was total worth it as the end result - both functionally and aesthetically was beyond anything I could have done. It was a collaboration.

The cost was really about the same or less than if I had attempted to do it myself - and that is not even factoring in expensive mistakes and the aggravation of dealing with issues. I mean there are some things that I am glad I didn't have to agonize over like exactly WHERE you place the knobs and pulls. When it came to paint for the walls she presented me with three choices which we swatched on the wall and I chose the one I liked best - which was also her top choice. She would often do that - not tell me which one was her preference and I almost always wound up with her choice.

My designer worked on a percentage of what she paid with the percentage being 15% or 20% depending. If she just bought furniture it was 15% - if she actually designed a piece it was 20%. She had sources for custom wood workers and upholsterers and so the cost to me of items was far less than if I had bought equivalent "retail" from a store with higher quality. Some of the items I ordered were significantly lower even with her markup - for example an end table "retailed for over $1000 and I bought (with her commission) only about $400 - and so on.
Back to top

Tzutzie




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:20 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:
I had a fabulous designer when I did a gut remodel (including kitchens and baths) as well as a complete redecoration of interior.

It was total worth it as the end result - both functionally and aesthetically was beyond anything I could have done. It was a collaboration.

The cost was really about the same or less than if I had attempted to do it myself - and that is not even factoring in expensive mistakes and the aggravation of dealing with issues. I mean there are some things that I am glad I didn't have to agonize over like exactly WHERE you place the knobs and pulls. When it came to paint for the walls she presented me with three choices which we swatched on the wall and I chose the one I liked best - which was also her top choice. She would often do that - not tell me which one was her preference and I almost always wound up with her choice.

My designer worked on a percentage of what she paid with the percentage being 15% or 20% depending. If she just bought furniture it was 15% - if she actually designed a piece it was 20%. She had sources for custom wood workers and upholsterers and so the cost to me of items was far less than if I had bought equivalent "retail" from a store with higher quality. Some of the items I ordered were significantly lower even with her markup - for example an end table "retailed for over $1000 and I bought (with her commission) only about $400 - and so on.


If love to get her name.
Would you pm me?
Back to top

Aurora




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 9:23 am
Tzutzie wrote:
If love to get her name.
Would you pm me?


Would also love her name please? Please pm?
Back to top

Bleemee




 
 
    
 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:34 am
I’m also looking for someone would love a recommendation.
Back to top

amother
Obsidian


 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:37 am
Can you post her name here so we can all benefit?!
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 11:05 am
cupcake123 wrote:
I had a designer come with me to the tile store and kitchen store. Tile store took a while maybe 4 hours? Kitchen store took maybe 2 hours ? She charged $125 an hour
For the tile store it was totally worth it! It's so overwhelming and there are so many options.
For the kitchen I feel like decor wise I could've chosen myself but I'm happy she came bec she helped with things I would not have thought of like adding another garbage and moving the cabinets, taking away cabinets..


I’d like the name if you can share. Didn’t she have to come to your house as well? Who did the measuring for the tiles?
Back to top

amother
Broom


 

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:34 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
I had a designer come with me to the tile store and kitchen store. Tile store took a while maybe 4 hours? Kitchen store took maybe 2 hours ? She charged $125 an hour
For the tile store it was totally worth it! It's so overwhelming and there are so many options.
For the kitchen I feel like decor wise I could've chosen myself but I'm happy she came bec she helped with things I would not have thought of like adding another garbage and moving the cabinets, taking away cabinets..


Can you share the name/number? Does she work in Brooklyn?
Back to top

amother
Apple


 

Post Mon, Jan 30 2023, 3:52 pm
Following
Back to top

amother
Smokey


 

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 11:03 am
Can you please,post her name?
Back to top

amother
Smokey


 

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:25 am
Can you please post her name-I'm trying to find someone now.
Back to top

amother
Purple


 

Post Tue, Mar 21 2023, 5:34 am
If anyone can recommend someone well worth hiring in Toronto, I'd really appreciate it. Tyia.
Back to top
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics




Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty

Related Topics Replies Last Post
S/o The price of camp 6 Today at 9:47 am View last post
Low cost trip that will keep an 11 yr old happy’?
by amother
10 Mon, Jul 15 2024, 9:01 pm View last post
Designer Naomi
by amother
2 Wed, Jul 10 2024, 5:38 pm View last post
Tello cell service anyone happy? Specifically in Monsey
by amother
1 Sun, Jul 07 2024, 11:08 am View last post
Plaza Auto sales- negotiate on price?
by amother
0 Wed, Jul 03 2024, 7:01 am View last post