Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Juice VS. Soda
1  2  Next

Do you let your kids drink sugary soda?
Yes  
 6%  [ 5 ]
No  
 42%  [ 33 ]
Only on Shabbos or special occasions  
 50%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 77

stem

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 11:38 pm
Apple juice and Soda (Cherry Coke for example) have the exact same amount of grams of sugar per 8 oz cup. What makes juice more healthy? Or are they equally unhealthy because of all the sugar?
I'm not referring to the caffiene aspect because you can always get caffiene free soda. Obviously, I will not get diet soda because of all the chemicals.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Nov 13 2005, 11:51 pm
I never buy soda or juice other than grape, but if we go somewhere were it is being served, I would allow my children to have some.

Water is the healthiest drink. You are right that juice really doesn't have that much to offer in terms of nutrition. For vitamin C, it would be better to just have an actual piece of fruit. I still think fruit juice is healthier because of all the other ingredients found in soda. If you buy 100% juice, then at least the fructose is the only issue.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/.....1.DTL

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 12:37 am
Thanks for the article...it was a real shock eye-opener!

Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 11:03 am
what if children really refuse to drink water/milk? how can you make sure they drink enough fluids?

Tovah

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 11:17 am
I think that juice we dilute 50/50 so it's not as sweet for starters and juice is fruit not chemicals. also depends which juice u buy.

daisy

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 12:04 pm
Soda has artificial flavorings, colorings, and high fructose corn syrup. Juice at least is 100% natural. Not that I think too much juice is a good thing at all, but it's not as bad as soda. I train my kids young to drink water and both my husband and I drink water on a regular basis (so they have that example). We do drink juice too, but not excessively. We don't buy soda at all. Funny thing is, my parents have soda on a regular basis on shabbos and I'm waiting for my kids to catch on and ask for it, but so far they have not (even when their cousins visit).

shayna82

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 1:41 pm
juice is not always 100 percent juice. in fact, even on bottles that say 100% juice, if you look closely, it will say somethign more like 20% real juice.. nowadays they will do anythign to make you think you are buying the real stuff. even old orchard juice which is more epensive, is not all juice. for myself, on my diet I stick to just water water water. and frankly I dont miss anything else.

daisy

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 2:00 pm
I think if it says 100% juice, it has to be 100% juice, otherwise they have to have different names such as "juice drink" or whatever. I know they have some legal standards about these types of things. Anyway, I think the juice referred to in this thread (my post anyway) is real, 100% fruit juice such as grapefruit and orange.

shayna82

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 2:11 pm
ok

micki

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 2:16 pm
apple and eve makes 100% juices and punch.

jewgal84

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 3:09 pm
Tropicana as well sells 100% apple and orange juice.

mother of 2 princess's

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 3:16 pm
I tend to give them sugar free squash????

proudmom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2005, 5:01 pm
I give my kids mainly water to drink. Once in a while I gie my kids juice.

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:46 am
mother of 2. what is the sugur substitute of the sugar in the squash..it could be same as what they put in diet sodas or such..

raizy

Post Tue, Nov 15 2005, 9:21 pm
I give orange juice or apple juice diluted off course. no sodas in my house.

cl

Post Fri, Apr 07 2006, 7:35 am
I dilute 100% pure fruit juice with water.
the health authorities advise it shud be 1/10 juice and 9/10 water but DS wont drink it so weak n tasteless.
I give him more like 1/4 juice to 3/4 water.
and NEVER in a bottle.

happy2beme

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:36 am
no soda by me.
I taught my daughter when she was 2 - 2.5 yrs old that soda is a boo boo belly & boo boo teeth (gas & cavities) so she hasn't really been interested in trying it. everytime we go to my inlaws & she sees my FIL drinking it -she tells him it's a boo boo belly! Smile
she has tried it & doesn't like it except for ginger ale when she has a stomache

gryp

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 10:52 am
Soda shock
might as well fill up your own bottle of water, dump a bunch of sugar inside, and some food coloring! (and bubbles if you want a really good imitation)
enjoy Very Happy

shopaholic

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 11:20 am
Soda is only for Shabbos & Y"T & I don't overbuy even then. Rest of the week - juice, water or milk. I personally only drink water & iced tea once in a while.

deedee

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 1:59 pm
no soda in our house! water, water and more water. apple juice and orange juice for variety.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics