Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Juice VS. Soda
Previous  1  2

Do you let your kids drink sugary soda?
Yes  
 6%  [ 5 ]
No  
 42%  [ 33 ]
Only on Shabbos or special occasions  
 50%  [ 39 ]
Total Votes : 77

GAMZu

Post Tue, Feb 20 2007, 11:30 pm
I am impressed at how many people actually stay away from the nasty stuff! The only time my son had soda was at a chasuna- I thought it was seltzer, but it was lemon soda. He had like 1/2 a cup.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:13 am
I never give my kids soda. We don't have it in the house.
They have orange juice with breakfast, milk with lunch at school (prepaid at the beginning of the school year), and water with dinner. During other times if they are thirsty they drink water! On Shabbos, they get their choice of apple juice or orange juice. They can also have a little extra grape juice if they want during the meal. Sometimes during the summer, we make lemonade as a special Shabbos treat!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:05 am
I haven't really thought of this one... juice will probably be ok all the time except before the meals (curves the appetite), but soda is not so healthy so it will have to be limited.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:14 am
I also have not thought of this so much but I know that I will not have soda in the house. thats the way I grew up and I feel "who needs that much sugar and caffeine"?.
as for juice I think that I will try only to allow juice at meal time and other than that it will be water.

I cant be sure but what if you start your child at a very young age with water to drink as THE option, and only adding in juice when they are older? and even then, just diluted juice?

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:24 am
my son is a year and a half. I give him only water and surprisingly, on the occasion that he has juice (like grape juice or wine on shabbos) he likes it but will go right back to drinking water after. I see a lot of families only allow limited amounts of juice on shabbos and I think that's a nice balance.

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 11:57 am
Thank g-d I weaned my husband off soda. Now we only drink juice and seltzer.
If my husband was always drinking soda like he used to, how can anyone honestly expect their children not to drink it?
It just can't be in the house, I think.

I think I will give them juice only. Soda might be a treat they get when we go to the grandparents house.

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:01 pm
when they were little hardly soda - maybe shabbos - then we drank soda - now we hardly do - we go back and forth - depending on peoples mood. Drink a flat soda one day - you'll never want to drink it again!!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 12:56 pm
only1 wrote:
Thank g-d I weaned my husband off soda. Now we only drink juice and seltzer.

congratulations!
When I met dh, he loved to drink weird English sodas with strange colours (pink, purple, dark blue... shock ) and artificial taste and weird components... In the beginning I found them sickening, but now I'm as addicted as he is...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 2:10 pm
Soda only on Shabbos.
During the week, juice diluted with seltzer or water. None of us can drink plain water
How could you compare soda to 100% fruit juice? Is there really something wrong with eating too much fruit bec. of the (natural) sugar content? Confused

mimsy7420

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 3:07 pm
No the only reason to stay away from juice is because of the sugar and expanding waistline Smile
Oh yea, and for your kids teeth!

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 4:29 pm
cl wrote:
I dilute 100% pure fruit juice with water.
the health authorities advise it shud be 1/10 juice and 9/10 water but DS wont drink it so weak n tasteless.

this is what I do too. My kids would rather have pure juice but I kind of trick them and dilute it right in the carton so they think its undiluted. When I have other kids over many times they say..."blah I don't want water" My kids just make a funny look because they almost never have unduluted juice. They don't know anything different.

april

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 8:17 pm
We don't have any soda at all d/t the sugar content- its simply liquid candy. There is nothing nutritious in it. And one major problem with colas specifically is that they contain phosphoric acid which destroys your bones, especially those of young children. It makes me sad when I see kids drinking coke- diet, caffeine-free, or regular, because I suspect that they will probably suffer bone fractures as kids and osteoporosis as adults, especially the girls. There are statisically more broken bones in children and elderly people now than ever before and personally I think our nation's soda consumption is a major culprit.

withhumor

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 9:36 pm
I realized that if I deprive my kids of any sweet drinks other than water, then they crave it. then they go to the neighbor and pig out and it’s downright embarrassing. B”H I discovered crystal lite tea mix. You mix it with water and it’s sugar free and tit’s actually delicious. You don’t feel the ‘fake sugar’ and it’s much cheaper than juice or soda.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Feb 21 2007, 10:43 pm
I think if you read the ingredients on that powder, you will quickly switch back to juice. Artificial sugar is as evil as regular, just different. And the powder has a ton of chemicals, too. Not any better than soda.

MommyLuv

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 9:06 am
DH and I are Diet Coke fans, but recently we decided to try to stop buying it (we drank it only on Shabbos.)
DD is getting older, and she wants to drink what we are having, so I guess I gotta practice what I preach...

About the juice, we always dilute 50/50 with water, so less fruit sugars, but I try not to buy it too either....

The truth is, a tall pitcher of ice water is classic and refreshing.
When you get used to drinking only water, you really dont need much else.
Tongue Out

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 10:02 am
If you are going to feed your family sodas, the worst sodas are the "dark" sodas such as COKE and Pepsi. Those chemicals are so bad for you. If you want to give your kids a treat of soda once in a while, make sure it's a light color soda.

happymom

Post Thu, Feb 22 2007, 11:36 am
my daughter drinks only water. I dont mind if she has juice but I offer her water since its alot bettre and she drinks it!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics