Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Great 9 days shiur!

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 7:04 pm
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....19498

I don't care which hashkafic box you fit yourself into, where you fall on the political spectrum, or what you think about COVID-19. I don't care if you generally like text-based classes, fluffy hashkafa shiurim, or chassidishe vortlach.

This is a great shiur. It's true, it's emes, and it's so practical. I'm hopeful that it will change my 9 days and Tisha B'av experience, and I hope it will do the same for everyone else Smile

Last edited by AlwaysGrateful on Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 7:46 pm
I appreciate your spiritual suggestion.

However:

I am far more likely to go ahead with a suggestion when:

1) There is no coercion involved, I.e. the use of the word “must”

2) The person who is doing the suggestion actually hints that they care about me, I.e. there is no mention of “I don’t care about what your hashkafa is”

That being said, I would come back to this thread and read a quick summary of the shiur, if you’d like to write that up for our benefit!

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 7:52 pm
Small synopse of what shiur is and by who please

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 7:58 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I appreciate your spiritual suggestion.

However:

I am far more likely to go ahead with a suggestion when:

1) There is no coercion involved, I.e. the use of the word “must”

2) The person who is doing the suggestion actually hints that they care about me, I.e. there is no mention of “I don’t care about what your hashkafa is”

3) It actually has details of who the speaker is, maybe also the topic...

amother
Candycane

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:13 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=119498

I don't care which hashkafic box you fit yourself into, where you fall on the political spectrum, or what you think about COVID-19. I don't care if you generally like text-based classes, fluffy hashkafa shiurim, or chassidishe vortlach.

You MUST listen to this. It's true, it's emes, and it's so practical. I'm hopeful that it will change my 9 days and Tisha B'av experience, and I hope it will do the same for everyone else Smile

My natural reaction when people come strongly at me and say you MUST do something- I strongly don’t want to.
I’m sure there are many like me as well.

You’re probably very inspired by it and good for you, that’s wonderful! However, maybe rephrase as a suggestion to avoid reactions of “excuse me, I’ll do what I want, not what you tell me to”

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:32 pm
OP, Thank you for thinking of us and posting this. I personally don't see anything wrong with you saying "must listen." It spoke to you and, you grew from it, and you unselfishly want everyone else to have the same experience. Kol hakavod!

NotLazySusan

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:34 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
https://www.torahanytime.com/#/lectures?v=119498

You MUST listen to this. It's true, it's emes, and it's so practical. I'm hopeful that it will change my 9 days and Tisha B'av experience, and I hope it will do the same for everyone else Smile

Yes, Ma'am!

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:35 pm
people need to chill
buzzkills
its clearly hyperbole. OP ill listen tomorrow iyh

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:35 pm
Seems to be a fundraiser for torah anytime

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 8:36 pm
amother [ Dimgray ] wrote:
OP, Thank you for thinking of us and posting this. I personally don't see anything wrong with you saying "must listen." It spoke to you and, you grew from it, and you unselfishly want everyone else to have the same experience. Kol hakavod!

this. sorry for the other comments

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Aug 02 2022, 10:53 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
3) It actually has details of who the speaker is, maybe also the topic...

Mrs. Dina Schoonmaker
Eradicating Sinat Chinam: Don't Focus on Others' Faults

GramaNewYork

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:36 am
Thank you SO much for this recommendation! I found it helpful as I struggle with letting go of when someone tries to "put something over" on me. (Like a tzedaka collector who does not need the money but tries to make you feel guilty). Because of what the rebetzin said, I think that there's a chance I used to try to con people as a child because I was such a poor student. I was embarrassed and I learned to lie about school. But when I got to high school, I became a better student and I became a much more honest person which may have made me intolerant of people who lie to con others.

In any case, may your suggestion that we listed to this shiur speed up the arrival of Moshiach!

HaShem yivarech otach. 😘

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:39 pm
Wow, I came on to see whether anyone listened to the shiur and gained from it. Thank you GramaNewYork for actually listening and posting your thoughts on it.

I find it fascinating that people specifically didn't listen to it because I said it was a MUST. Interesting exercise in human nature.

It's about Ahavas Chinam. Very practical, very down-to-earth, and very appropriate for imamothers since the point that she's focusing on seems to be something that many of us struggle with. It really made me think, and I wanted to share with other people. That's all.

I was definitely not expecting such a negative reaction. If I'd posted "You MUST try this new recipe! It's delicious!" or "You MUST try out this restaurant, the food and service are great!" -- would I have gotten such strong responses? Would I be accused of trying to "coerce" people?

That's the type of MUST I meant. I'm sorry if it didn't come across like that.

Last edited by AlwaysGrateful on Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

AlwaysGrateful

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:40 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Seems to be a fundraiser for torah anytime

It's not. It could be there was a pop-up or something on it? My computer blocks pop-ups, so I didn't see it. Sorry about that.

The shiur is just a shiur, not a fundraiser or ad or anything.

DustyDiamonds

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:48 pm
AlwaysGrateful wrote:
Wow, I came on to see whether anyone listened to the shiur and gained from it. Thank you GramaNewYork for actually listening and posting your thoughts on it.

I find it fascinating that people specifically didn't listen to it because I said it was a MUST. Interesting exercise in human nature.

It's about Ahavas Chinam. Very practical, very down-to-earth, and very appropriate for imamothers since the point that she's focusing on seems to be something that many of us struggle with. It really made me think, and I wanted to share with other people. That's all.

I was definitely not expecting such a negative reaction. If I'd posted "You MUST try this new recipe! It's delicious!" or "You MUST try out this restaurant, the food and service are great!" -- would I have gotten such strong responses? Would I be accused of trying to "coerce" people?

That's the type of MUST I meant. I'm sorry if it didn't come across like that.

I appreciate your suggestion to listen to something inspiring!

Yet some of us resist being forced, and the verbiage used led us to feel that way.

As Chazal say: גדול המצוה ועושה משאינו מצוה ועושה
Because once humans are commanded, they naturally feel an urge to resist.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:49 pm
I recently went to hear her live - last Friday she was speaking in far Rockaway.
She was awesome & standing room only (I stood). Could have stood for another hour.

Thx for posting OP
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note