Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Is it insensitive to eat in front of the kid?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Wallflower

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 5:13 pm
I don't like when people eat things I can't have in front of me and I'm a mature adult who understands why I can't eat those things. I can only imagine how devastatingly hurtful it must be to a 2 year old with limited understanding. When my son was little and had to go off gluten, dairy, eggs, and a few other food groups for a period of time (it wasn't a life threatening allergy, B"H, but he needed it out of his diet for about a year) we ALL went off those foods.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:27 pm
OP, your son is so young has he been seen by an allergist and evaluated if he is a good candidate to work through the dairy ladder?
My 2yo is working his way slowly through and it has been so freeing to have a little bit more options.
Where I’m from they do it for kids under 5

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:15 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
Ofcoarse it insensitive.
I have allergy child as well and he always gets a more exciting replacement and the other kids are very understanding knowing this isnt a challenge they would want themselves.
If we go to the pizza shop he gets to choose anything pareve or we make a stop at a fleishig restaurant before or after.
Whenever I make homemade pizza I replace his for non dairy/toffu cheese slices.
Shevuos its lots of yummy pareve cakes, homemade and bakery.
Most dinners I cook fleishig because of him, noone minds were not big dairy eaters anyways.
Baked ziti, replaced with his cheese.
There are always small portion cooked foods in the freezer for times we need them.
Ice creams these days have plenty of non dairy options available. As one mentioned ice cream shops are risky we had a pretty bad experience. We asked for dairy free but my son had a reaction due to the fact that they utensils/machines arent cleaned well.
During the 9 days were doing filling soups, tuna patties, flounder, his special pizza, falafal, ect
Its really doable once you get the hang of it.

Thanks.
He won't go near the fake cheese stuff.
Allergic to fish.
I can't count the amount of times I went all out to get him a replacement and he won't touch it.
I made him special potatoes today, baked in a separate pan. For the rest of the family the potatoes were baked with fish. Of course he wouldn't touch his potatoes and only wanted what everyone else was having.
He asked for macaroni, didn't touch it. He won't touch chicken nuggets or any type of chicken.
He ended up eating instant noodle soup. I know...super healthy. But at least he ate something.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.
Allergic to fish.
I can't count the amount of times I went all out to get him a replacement and he won't touch it.
I made him special potatoes today, baked in a separate pan. For the rest of the family the potatoes were baked with fish. Of course he wouldn't touch his potatoes and only wanted what everyone else was having.
He asked for macaroni, didn't touch it. He won't touch chicken nuggets or any type of chicken.
He ended up eating instant noodle soup. I know...super healthy. But at least he ate something.

I know fish is a hard one, still hope he will outgrow that one. The younger years were even harder.
My son also has oral allergy syndrome, allergic to all raw fruits and veg. I need to cook them all.
Firstly you can ask a shaila, when my son was younger during the 9 days he had meat. We offered him this year but hes getting big and really doesnt want to so bh we have the fish option.
The fake cheese stinks, im surprised your young one is so picky, im lucky my son tolerates it although I wonder how.
There are plenty of ways to make meals exciting. I make a yummy ground meat with pasta very kid friendly (saute onions then add meat till brown. Bake with pizza sauce and cooked mini shell pasta covered for some time.) if he can have eggs omelets, pancakes, try cheeseless vegetable pizza, many filling soups add barley. crockpot dinners ect.
Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:38 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
I know fish is a hard one, still hope he will outgrow that one. The younger years were even harder.
My son also has oral allergy syndrome, allergic to all raw fruits and veg. I need to cook them all.
Firstly you can ask a shaila, when my son was younger during the 9 days he had meat. We offered him this year but hes getting big and really doesnt want to so bh we have the fish option.
The fake cheese stinks, im surprised your young one is so picky, im lucky my son tolerates it although I wonder how.
There are plenty of ways to make meals exciting. I make a yummy ground meat with pasta very kid friendly (saute onions then add meat till brown. Bake with pizza sauce and cooked mini shell pasta covered for some time.) if he can have eggs omelets, pancakes, try cheeseless vegetable pizza, many filling soups add barley. crockpot dinners ect.
Good luck!

Thank you. I tried many of these ideas in the past and he pushed them away. He always had food avoidance.

But hopefully now that he is asking for food, maybe he'll be more open to trying meatballs or chicken nuggets... he can't have omelets or pancakes, unfortunately. He's very sensitive to eggs. I give him baked goods that have eggs cooked for an hour, and he is good with that, but I wouldn't try an omelet.

keym

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I tried many of these ideas in the past and he pushed them away. He always had food avoidance.

But hopefully now that he is asking for food, maybe he'll be more open to trying meatballs or chicken nuggets... he can't have omelets or pancakes, unfortunately. He's very sensitive to eggs. I give him baked goods that have eggs cooked for an hour, and he is good with that, but I wouldn't try an omelet.

I make pancakes and replace the egg with 1/4 c applesauce. It works out for a recipe that use 1 or 2 eggs. More it changes the taste.
The finished product looks the same.
By now, I never make pancakes with eggs. These are the pancakes my family uses.

Whatever changes that can be done without too much inconvenience for the whole family, it's really useful if you can. Easier to monitor and less likely that he'll develop irrational resentment and try to sneak it as he gets older.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.
Allergic to fish.

I try as much as possible that my allergic kid should be able to eat the same supper as everyone else. So I wouldn't make a dish that has the fish and potatoes in the same pan. I would bake it separately so that while he can't eat the fish, at least he can eat the same potatoes as everyone else. I find that makes a huge difference.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:09 am
Look into vegan egg substitutes like flaxseed. Something like a tablespoon of ground flaxseed soaked in a tablespoon or so of water replaces one egg in recipes. Other products such as applesauce and bananas can also sub for eggs. Check a couple of vegan cookbooks out of the library or search online.

I would try to modify as many of my recipes as possible and serve them to the rest of the family so that the allergic family member doesn't feel entirely left out. Keep a few unmodified favorites that everyone else likes--it won't hurt your allergic child to learn that there are some things the others can have that he can't. By the same token, it will do the others no harm to learn how to give up a little bit of their comfort for the sake of someone else.

bnm

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 10:17 am
I always offered similar or a treat. When I baked challa I would sometimes freeze dough in case they have baking in school, need for pizza or even when he would have doughnut cravings. Isreali chocolate spread from the Pesach run was dairy/nut/soy free. Egg free pancake batter- I baked that into doughnuts or cupcakes too. I learned to always plan ahead and always have a few items I know he will eat as backup in the fridge. Worst case scenario I would pull out the salami. I even had fancy pudding cup minatures in the freezer for when we went to simchas and he had to come along. When I made kugel I would grate the potatoes, fry a few spoons of it in latke shapes and only then mix the rest with eggs. I have a vegan baking cooking book that was great. Feel free to message me for ideas on specific food substitutions.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics