Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Stopping night feedings
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:39 am
First time mom here. My baby is seven months. He goes to sleep at 7, but still wakes up for a bottle every five hours. He used to be small, so we were initially told to wake him up and feed him during the night, but I’m finding it hard to break this habit. If we try to delay the feeding and give him his pacifier instead, he screams and screams. BH now he is average sized and eating well. He is also still sleeping in my room because I find it easier to reach over a stick his pacifier back in, rather than getting up and going into another room. What am I doing wrong and how can I stop these feedings? In general, I have a hard time listening to him cry without giving in and always end up giving him what he wants. Am I too soft? I work full time and am a pretty scheduled and disciplined person otherwise.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:41 am
We switch to water overnight at 6 months

amother
PlumPink

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:52 am
I understand your desire for him to sleep through the night but none of my children slept through the night until over a year. Developmentally is it a problem for him to wake up and get fed?

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:58 am
He may still need it. Maybe you can try to give him half ounce less than usual for a week or two and then keep decreasing by half ounce. If he's not really hungry, eventually that feeding will get dropped naturally. If he still wakes for it, he's prob hungry and isn't ready to give it up.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:59 am
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
I understand your desire for him to sleep through the night but none of my children slept through the night until over a year. Developmentally is it a problem for him to wake up and get fed?

I don’t mind doing it! Friends just seem shocked that he’s still eating at night.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don’t mind doing it! Friends just seem shocked that he’s still eating at night.

I found it very hard to stop.. as long as the baby was not partying or keeping me awake, I let it go.

I ended up force stopping it at aprox 15m when I started sleep training (gentle) bec it was too much for me.

You can try to unlatch him sooner than usual or doing a smaller bottle, but I don't think it worked for me.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 12:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
First time mom here. My baby is seven months. He goes to sleep at 7, but still wakes up for a bottle every five hours. He used to be small, so we were initially told to wake him up and feed him during the night, but I’m finding it hard to break this habit. If we try to delay the feeding and give him his pacifier instead, he screams and screams. BH now he is average sized and eating well. He is also still sleeping in my room because I find it easier to reach over a stick his pacifier back in, rather than getting up and going into another room. What am I doing wrong and how can I stop these feedings? In general, I have a hard time listening to him cry without giving in and always end up giving him what he wants. Am I too soft? I work full time and am a pretty scheduled and disciplined person otherwise.

No, what kind of mother DOESN'T have a hard time listening to their infant cry?

Hes a baby, your his mommy, he cries when he needs you, you take care of his needs.

No, your not too soft.

Hes 7 months.

It's good to be disciplined with yourself, rhar not what discipline means for a baby, though

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:03 pm
Every kid is different. My last child slept through the night at 2 months. my baby now is 18 months and still eats at night. Personally I wouldn't stop it if he needs it. I am trying to slowly sleep train my baby now.

imaima

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

He is not supposed to sleep through the night yet!
5 hours is amazing.

imaima

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Don’t starve your baby to be accepted by your friends

tichellady

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:14 pm
you can do what works for you. it’s fine to feed him. my one year old still nurses at night. don’t stop because other people told you to. if you feel like you can’t function with the sleep situation then you can also make changes, but yes it is normal for a 7 month old to eat at night

amother
Stonewash

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My 12 month old baby still eats at night. So normal. The sleep training industry makes it seem that we are the abnormal ones!
Don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. 5 hour stretch is amazing at that age.

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:26 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Every kid is different. My last child slept through the night at 2 months. my baby now is 18 months and still eats at night. Personally I wouldn't stop it if he needs it. I am trying to slowly sleep train my baby now.

Don't want to derail this thread. My 18 month old is still waking up for bottles. How do I gently stop this?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

If you don’t mind then you don’t mind. Who cares what your friends think?

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:29 pm
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
Don't want to derail this thread. My 18 month old is still waking up for bottles. How do I gently stop this?

As I said upthread try switching to water

amother
Topaz

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:30 pm
I tried. She wasn't happy Crying

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 1:36 pm
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:

At this age, you have to tell yourself baby is not hungry. You have to be ready to hear him cry.
I went to his bed every time he woke and sat there saying sha sha, its bedtime. You can also let him cry a few minutes to see if will put himself back to sleep without you. Program says 10 minutes but that was too hard for me. The point of you sitting there is to encourage baby and not just let him scream for hours like by CIO method. You can switch off with dh if that works.
I followed a program so that gave me encouragement.

Is he getting a bottle at bedtime, if so your supposed to remove that as well.

amother
Geranium

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I take back my previous post. I thought you were doing it because you weren't managing with it. If the reason is because friends are shocked, then now is a great time for you to start exercising your "I don't give a flip what anyone thinks" muscle. As your child grows up, there will be many more situations where ppl will have unsolicited opinions on how you're raising your child. NONE OF IT MATTERS. You need to make the decision that you feel is best for your child with the knowledge that you have at that time. Feeling pressure, intimidation from friends and family is never a good reason to make a parenting decision.

Sorry, ladies, I'll get off my soapbox now. This is a huge pet peeve of mine.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:18 pm
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
I tried. She wasn't happy Crying

of course she wasn’t. She’s getting yummy delicious whole milk (the adult equivalent of a milkshake) all night. I don’t have milkshakes at night and my (now ) 20 month old doesn’t have milk bottles in middle of the night. He eats solid meals, many snacks, and plenty of milk during the day. I know he’s not hungry. He gets water in middle of the night, whether he like it or not. Sometimes he takes it sometimes he refuses

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 2:28 pm
imaima wrote:
Don’t starve your baby to be accepted by your friends

This is kind of ridiculous and not at all what is going on here. From my friend’s reaction, I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong. I am a first time mother and have no previous experience with babies and I am constantly doubting myself.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics