Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
8th grade history

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:43 pm
Any 8th grade history teachers on here? I'm starting the year teaching about the civil war. Any fun interactive ideas to share. It's my first time teaching history and I'm looking for ideas to keep my students interested.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:52 pm
Are you teaching secular or Jewish history?
I teach Jewish history!

When I was a student my teacher divided my class into two - north and south (literally Mason Dixon line) and you couldn't cross the room without giving the other team points, you earned points for answering correct questions, completion assignments, good grades on tests etc
The teacher told us that which ever side won the war would get one period of recess while the other side sat on the side and watched us play. (5th grade) Anyways we thought that was lame and sabotaged the points so we'd have a tie and all get recess.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:24 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Are you teaching secular or Jewish history?
I teach Jewish history!

When I was a student my teacher divided my class into two - north and south (literally Mason Dixon line) and you couldn't cross the room without giving the other team points, you earned points for answering correct questions, completion assignments, good grades on tests etc
The teacher told us that which ever side won the war would get one period of recess while the other side sat on the side and watched us play. (5th grade) Anyways we thought that was lame and sabotaged the points so we'd have a tie and all get recess.

Nice. Good for you guys, boo on the teacher!

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:46 pm
some books based during the civil war:

Gone with the Wind - but it's a story about a married woman in love with a married man.
Tells about life as a rich plantation owner's daughter, their slaves: before, during and after the war.

Across Five Aprils - a poor family from a border state - one brother fights for the north, another for the south. The youngest brother has to run the farm while his older brothers go fight.

A woman called Moses - biography of Harriet Tubman, a runaway slave who went back to the south
many times, helping other slaves escape.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:59 pm
Stories!! act it out!!! Songs!! Make history come alive!

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 12:05 am
Perhaps there are parts of the Ken Burns documentary that would be appropriate to screen.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 12:21 am
I wouldn't use Gone With the Wind in a frum school.
But, The Killer Angels is a great, award winning book to use if teaching about the Battle of Gettysburg & totally clean.

paperflowers

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 12:32 am
I think alternative history projects could be interesting. What if fill in the blank detail was different? Gets you away from thinking about history as a bunch of names and dates to understanding history as cause and effect.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:27 am
There's tons of ideas on pinterest and online for teaching secular history

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:52 am
When I taught history (secular) I spend some time correlating events in Jewish History at that time. It made it much more interesting. I used this book for reference and then got detailed information from other sources (like Berel Wein books)
https://www.amazon.com/Timetab.....=UTF8

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:50 am
Thank you

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:56 am
Find little tidbits like this.. fun facts makes it really come alive.

this
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics