Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Why be hard on Morahs when schools to blame

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:29 pm
Im really not understanding all these complaints against Morahs.
Theyve always been very underpaid and the job they do most will agree they have no energy for.
Why are we all keeping quiet about the schools and losing it on the Morahs?
One of my daughters were raise $240 a month, another $200 mth and my boys $200 mth each. Thats thousands more I need to come up with when our salaries hardly increased.
Schools also just sent these last minute increases and guess what theyre making millions (yes I know that for a fact) on the meal programs, made tons from ppp loans and other. Getting help from aguda to offer raises to their teachers ect. so how do they have a right to raise like that and why are we all keeping quiet about that and letting our anger out on the morahs???
If I were a morah it would make perfect sense to need to increase a lot based on the tuitions alone.
Not sure why everyone gets so worked up over the toddlers and not the bigger tuitions that really dont have a right.

amother
Sunflower

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:33 pm
I don’t understand it either. Moros have way less control over their costs then schools do. Schools have bigger budgets and can more easily work things out. They have access to other funding and get donations. I wonder if the people who keep complaining about moros are very young and don’t yet have tuitions to pay. Otherwise it makes no sense at all.

amother
Springgreen

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:35 pm
There are complaints about both. There is no shortage of tuition complaints too. Go search through past threads.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:38 pm
I agree. My tuition was raised A LOT for next year. I have keh a big family. The tuition prices are insane. And yes the yeshiva makes loads of money off all the programs. Especially during covid. What is the solution? Why do yeshivahs have a right to charge the parents whatever they want.... It's a sick amount...
They are getting 3k and upk but still charge for my kids. They are getting lunch programs and program for bus/transportation but still charge us?
It's sick how they can get away with it.
Something has to be done.
And everyone feels so bad. "Poor" rebbim. So where does all the tuition go????!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:40 pm
I dont know im not hearing it. I read through the voice and every weak there are so many complaints about the morahs, not a word about schools. Something needs to be done, my increases are not okay

bsy

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:46 pm
amother [ NeonGreen ] wrote:
I agree. My tuition was raised A LOT for next year. I have keh a big family. The tuition prices are insane. And yes the yeshiva makes loads of money off all the programs. Especially during covid. What is the solution? Why do yeshivahs have a right to charge the parents whatever they want.... It's a sick amount...
They are getting 3k and upk but still charge for my kids. They are getting lunch programs and program for bus/transportation but still charge us?
It's sick how they can get away with it.
Something has to be done.
And everyone feels so bad. "Poor" rebbim. So where does all the tuition go????!

There are schools who don't charge for 3k and UPK....

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:40 pm
It's because people who can't afford their tuition simply won't pay. The school isn't going to kick your child out.
You can't do that with a Morah.

amother
Maple

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:47 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:
It's because people who can't afford their tuition simply won't pay. The school isn't going to kick your child out.

If tuition is not paid you're not welcome the following year. That was the case in all the schools I've sent to.
I'm upset about school raising tuition in July. And it's not negotiable.
Actually I was so upset that I told my husband next year I will not be participating in their fundraising campaign. I solicited all my friends and relatives and got a few thousand dollars. What's the point if tuition will be raised regardless?
I'm not sure what I will really do next year but I was really upset.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 11:13 pm
If you think that someone is stealing food from your mouths to pay for their own private jet, then pull your kids out and homeschool or send to public school.

You say you “know” all the millions they get but you know nothing.

People here have loads of kids and then seem completely surprised that tuition costs are per child. Did you not realize that your 8 kids were going to be expensive to send to private school?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:12 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
If you think that someone is stealing food from your mouths to pay for their own private jet, then pull your kids out and homeschool or send to public school.

People here have loads of kids and then seem completely surprised that tuition costs are per child. Did you not realize that your 8 kids were going to be expensive to send to private school?

Are you closely affiliated or run a school? wonder why youre being so defensive.
Yes I do feel were being manipulated and no I wont pull my kids out, thats not the social accepted norm in Lakewood neither are we leaving our jobs to sit home with the kids. Easy for you to just say it. Parents have a full right to be hurt by this and anyone with a heart can understand it.

And to answer your question about kids being expensive, noone predicted inflation to hit like this and nowhere in our history were tuitions EVER this high.
Yes I do know how well the schools have done from covid and lunch programs. My close friend whose husband runs a school told me how the lunch programs paid the salaries of all the teachers.
So you know nothing or you know enough and are afraid of other catching on.

amother
Daylily

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:36 am
Maybe you were grossly underpaying all along? That does sound like a huge raise in price though. Hashem should bless you to send you all the money you need.

amother
Garnet

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:43 am
OP can you write a letter to the Lakewood scoop? It gets a lot of publicity. Not that it will change things…

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are you closely affiliated or run a school? wonder why youre being so defensive.
Yes I do feel were being manipulated and no I wont pull my kids out, thats not the social accepted norm in Lakewood neither are we leaving our jobs to sit home with the kids. Easy for you to just say it. Parents have a full right to be hurt by this and anyone with a heart can understand it.

And to answer your question about kids being expensive, noone predicted inflation to hit like this and nowhere in our history were tuitions EVER this high.
Yes I do know how well the schools have done from covid and lunch programs. My close friend whose husband runs a school told me how the lunch programs paid the salaries of all the teachers.
So you know nothing or you know enough and are afraid of other catching on.

I don’t have anything to do with any school. I just literally can’t understand the rage people have.

People want school to be for free for all their huge families , but they also don’t want 35 kids in a class and a single teacher who’s in their 70s who does this as a chesed to teach them all day and also no air conditioning and also bring your own textbooks and supplies and also have your children clean the bathrooms and the floors themselves.

If teachers really did get ALL their salaries paid not from tuition but the lunch program then everyone involved in that will go to jail when the government finds out. Which will be soon. I highly highly doubt that happened.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 1:04 pm
I don’t have anything to do with any school. I just literally can’t understand the rage people have.

People want school to be for free for all their huge families , but they also don’t want 35 kids in a class and a single teacher who’s in their 70s who does this as a chesed to teach them all day and also no air conditioning and also bring your own textbooks and supplies and also have your children clean the bathrooms and the floors themselves.

If teachers really did get ALL their salaries paid not from tuition but the lunch program then everyone involved in that will go to jail when the government finds out. Which will be soon. I highly highly doubt that happened.

I was going to say may you continue to remain ignorant but I realized that not going to help you any. Hope you never need to know what it feels like but also hope you can be more understanding to people that do struggle.
You seem bitter about the size of frum families and blame them for their struggles, this isnt what hashem wanted from us so what youre suggesting is completely irrelevant. Btw my family size in comparison is small and its still tough.

amother
Wallflower

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 1:44 pm

This. I live in Lakewood so I get it HOWEVER kids cost big money and the tuition you signed up for years ago isn’t going to stay the same. You can’t have a big family and expect it not to cost you….

My schools barely went up bec we were paying much more than other schools to begin with so I think it’s a joke that ppl are complaining their tuition went up a couple of hundred bucks over a year (!) per kid.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:48 pm
amother [ Pistachio ] wrote:

that is sumply not true. kids cant come back to school in September if they are not fully paid up in june. or come back midwinter if not paid up in January. And they will call the parent and pull the child out of class if she's sent. and I heard of a highschool this is done monthly. You cant even be a month late.

amother
Buttercup

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:05 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
This. I live in Lakewood so I get it HOWEVER kids cost big money and the tuition you signed up for years ago isn’t going to stay the same. You can’t have a big family and expect it not to cost you….

My schools barely went up bec we were paying much more than other schools to begin with so I think it’s a joke that ppl are complaining their tuition went up a couple of hundred bucks over a year (!) per kid.

I also live in lakewood. I know schools that charge more, use the money wisely. Have private bussing ,more extra curriculum, better resource room and ones that line greedy pockets. The economy is effecting many families. There are many smaller middle class families struggling just as much as the larger ones. They didn't get a raise as big as their tuition bill went up. I think its time for schools to find a different system. A struggling family that doesn't go on vacations and doesn't live a fancy life should not be paying double tuition and building fund like his neighbor that pulls up to school in a expensive car. And it shouldn't depend if he chinuch either, this should be reviewed yearly.

Also don't tell me the clothes or car is a gift. If people will stop getting such show off gifts, the whole comunity would have less pressure leaving more people to pay for tuition in the first place.

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:40 pm
amother [ Buttercup ] wrote:
I also live in lakewood. I know schools that charge more, use the money wisely. Have private bussing ,more extra curriculum, better resource room and ones that line greedy pockets. The economy is effecting many families. There are many smaller middle class families struggling just as much as the larger ones. They didn't get a raise as big as their tuition bill went up. I think its time for schools to find a different system. A struggling family that doesn't go on vacations and doesn't live a fancy life should not be paying double tuition and building fund like his neighbor that pulls up to school in a expensive car. And it shouldn't depend if he chinuch either, this should be reviewed yearly.

Also don't tell me the clothes or car is a gift. If people will stop getting such show off gifts, the whole comunity would have less pressure leaving more people to pay for tuition in the first place.

Yep messed up generation we live in!!!
Maybe Hashem is sending some people gentle hints with this raise for their laid back attitude when people were crying that their children are not getting into school.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:32 pm
I would be interested in a poll comparing how much someone spends on each kid's clothing and shoes in a year vs how much they are paying in tuition.

As an FYI, Periwinkle is correct. If teachers' salaries were paid from lunch income, there would be major legal issues. I highly doubt that actually is happening as a rule.

ETA: throw in that backpack too while we're at it

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was going to say may you continue to remain ignorant but I realized that not going to help you any. Hope you never need to know what it feels like but also hope you can be more understanding to people that do struggle.
You seem bitter about the size of frum families and blame them for their struggles, this isnt what hashem wanted from us so what youre suggesting is completely irrelevant. Btw my family size in comparison is small and its still tough.

I’m not bitter. My parents literally had two jobs each to pay for tuition, and they talked about it all the time. My parents didn’t daven for parnassah on rosh hashana. They davened that they shouldn’t have to need a discount in tuition. To this day my mother talks about it as a source of pride. We never ate out we never went on any vacation ever. I stayed home all day and watched television during winter breaks and chol hamoed because my parents worked.

I was raised to value schools and sacrifice. I am blessed beyond measure that I can pay my tuition bill and you wouldn’t even believe how high it is. But when they raise tuition and then on top of it tell me to fundraise for scholarships for others I recognize that no one at that school is getting rich. I am not mad at anyone. I understand that schools have budgets.

And schools are closely inspected by government agencies and have to file specific tax forms. I know someone that did shenanigans with a lunch program a long time ago. He spend years in prison. That’s why I think your close friend exaggerated.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries