Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What are you serving for shalosh seudos?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:37 pm
heidi wrote:
Teimanim are allowed to heat liquids on shabbat.
I personally have not heard of other Orthodox Jews doing so.
Which means leaving the soup on the blech/plata from before shabbat. Which sounds like a breeding ground of germs to me.
Mashed potatoes and rice and shnitzel for that matter are dry foods and thus permitted in Ashkenazik tradition to be heated up on the plata.

I keep soup on low in a Crock-Pot from before Shabbos. No germs breeding here!

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:42 pm
heidi wrote:
Teimanim are allowed to heat liquids on shabbat.
I personally have not heard of other Orthodox Jews doing so.
Which means leaving the soup on the blech/plata from before shabbat. Which sounds like a breeding ground of germs to me.
Mashed potatoes and rice and shnitzel for that matter are dry foods and thus permitted in Ashkenazik tradition to be heated up on the plata.

Though, not directly on the blech /hotplate. Either on a overturned tray or foil pan.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:53 pm
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Not everyone knows how to do it in a halachically appropriate way… you can’t put it directly on the hot plate after shabbos starts, and all the other halachos.

You absolutely can put fully cooked dry food on an electric hot plate on Shabbos. It is not even a minority opinion.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 6:57 pm
amother [ Almond ] wrote:
Though, not directly on the blech /hotplate. Either on a overturned tray or foil pan.

That’s not what everyone holds. My yeshivish ashkenaz rav said we can put dry foods (that have been cooked/baked of course) directly on plata even without foil or pans.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:
You absolutely can put fully cooked dry food on an electric hot plate on Shabbos. It is not even a minority opinion.

A minority opinion?
All my family , friends and neighbors don't.

squirrel

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:32 pm
Im doing a hearty veg soup in a crockpot, made a fruit soup, tri color pasta salad, made onion rolls, salmon, grapes, melon and water!!

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 8:43 pm
Salmon
Gefilta fish
Watermelon
Caesar salad
Broccoli salad
Pasta salad
Grapes
Dips
Gatorade
Cinnamon buns
Cheesecake

amother
Jasmine

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 9:17 pm
I have a craving for pepper steak ( and I'm not even pg) but I'll probably just have challah, fish, and either macaroni or potato salad with chicken. Too bad, I can't make a smoothie on Shabbos - would rather have that than the carb foods.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 9:25 pm
Mock liver
Salad
Cold Potato green bean soup with sour cream
Lukshen cheese kugel
Layered potatoes with eggs
Yogurt fruit smoothie

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 6:52 am
squirrel wrote:
Im doing a hearty veg soup in a crockpot, made a fruit soup, tri color pasta salad, made onion rolls, salmon, grapes, melon and water!!

Love this menu.
Question… if your crock pot of fleishig, how does this work with a dairy meal ?
Can you post the veg soup recipe?
Do you make soup befpre shabbos? Or does it cook in the crock pot ?
Also what fruit soup?

Thx

salt

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:47 am
amother [ NeonOrange ] wrote:
Not everyone knows how to do it in a halachically appropriate way… you can’t put it directly on the hot plate after shabbos starts, and all the other halachos.

Use an upside down tray or oven rack as a layer in between the plata and the food, and don't put on liquids (ashkenazi).

I know this thread is over, but just in case I was 'machshil' people when I said use a plata, then this poster is right, of course you have to do it halachically correctly.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note