Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
Projects during the 9 days

Do you knit/crochet/sew non clothing projects during the 9 days?
yes  
 40%  [ 4 ]
no  
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

chaya2947384

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:25 am
Do you knit/crochet/sew non-clothing projects during the 9 days?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:41 am
I don't. Even though its so hard because I enjoy it so much and this is when I have the time.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 11:55 am
No. But I'm looking forward to getting back to it next week.

According to Rav Eider's sefer, all forms of needlework should be avoided during the nine days. There may be other views.

seeker

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 2:19 pm
OK I never did any sewing or needlework or anything in my life (excluding childhood arts n crafts) until this year so I guess I never paid attention to this. What's the reason for it? I actually worked on my needlepoint a lot over the last few days and made great progress :-( Mind you I was listening to 9 days shiurim most of that time... sigh.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 2:26 pm
https://outorah.org/p/14681/

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 2:50 pm
I learned that you shouldn’t start or finish a project in the 9 days. nowadays we do these things more as boredom busters than needing something to wear so there may might affect the Halacha.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 3:24 pm
amother [ Snowdrop ] wrote:
https://outorah.org/p/14681/

That's what I learnt, which admit left me rather confused. However, Rav Eider, in his sefer does state that:

'Similarly, working on knitting or needlecraft (eg needlepoint, embroidery) is prohibited even if it will not be completed until after the Nine Days.'

He doesn't give a reference, but says this is what he learnt from Rav Moshe Feinstein.

What can I say? נעשה ונשמע

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:07 pm
Just to say, that I am going through some very intense therapy right now, and my (frum) therapist advised that if I needed it to help relax, there was probably room to be lenient. I haven't actually asked, though.

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:12 pm
I dont start any projects and I don't finish any projects. But if it's something I'm in the middle of doing and I know I won't finish then yes.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:03 pm
Elfrida wrote:
That's what I learnt, which admit left me rather confused. However, Rav Eider, in his sefer does state that:

'Similarly, working on knitting or needlecraft (eg needlepoint, embroidery) is prohibited even if it will not be completed until after the Nine Days.'

He doesn't give a reference, but says this is what he learnt from Rav Moshe Feinstein.

What can I say? נעשה ונשמע

We have this sefer and I saw this too which is why I don't do needlepoint. My son learnt it with my dh and showed it to me so I felt it was bad chinuch to do it. But to each his own, maybe ask your rabbi.

seeker

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:42 pm
BTW I was reading Guidelines (halacha book) - I had checked it when this thread first came out and under the category of I think new clothes it said about not doing needlework. Then on Friday I was looking specifically at the chapter about Tisha B'av being on Shabbos and the question was is the week leading up to it considered the week of Tisha B'av and the answer was for some things yes and some things no, and sewing was in the no category. So this year we were allowed to sew/needlepoint the whole last week. Technically.

seeker

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:44 pm
Oh and I wanted to see what the source was but all the citations were abbreviations so it looked like alphabet soup to me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing