Home

What age to stop swaddling baby?
1, 2  Next

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:07 pm
I never really swaddled any of my other babies for very long. But my baby now who is almost 7 months Kah loves to be swaddled! She sleeps sooo much better like this. She doesn’t fuss at all and when I lay her down in it and start putting her arms through she smiles and relaxes. She knows it’s bedtime and it’s just part of our routine…Is it really bad for her? Doc was surprised she is still sleeping like that but when I tried without she woke up crying so often I just swaddled her after which she was fine and happy.
So now what?

amother

Honeysuckle

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:08 pm
wow 7 months is too old
there are some that dont even swaddle newborns...
why cant u get her a sleep sack?

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:09 pm
When they roll over so she's really too old for this. You need to allow for the Moro reflex to fire and be integrated. The only way out is through. You can't swaddle her forever and yes at this age it will inhibit development. Instead of a swaddle you can do baby massage during bedtime.

amother

DarkRed

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:11 pm
nothing. Swaddle her. It's surprising that a baby that age likes it. But if she likes it, sleeps well with it, shut do you assume it's a problem?
Good for you. Good for her. Don't fix what isn't broken.

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:15 pm
Such differing opinions here lol. So her gross motor is delayed.
She isn’t interested in turning back to stomache. I am unsure if it is related though bec she has overall low muscle tone and is in the process of being evaluated.
I have the halo swaddle now and I could technically take her arms out. She just sleeps best like this. I guess I will try again…

amother

Foxglove

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:37 pm
Get a sleep sack instead. Swaddling is dangerous once a baby can turn themselves over because they can’t use their hands that are restrained to move themselves so they can breathe if they’re face down.

Sounds like she doesn’t turn over yet though so maybe you’re good to continue swaddling until she can turn herself over hm.

amother

Black

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She isn’t interested in turning back to stomache. I am unsure if it is related though bec she has overall low muscle tone and is in the process of being evaluated.
I have the halo swaddle now and I could technically take her arms out. She just sleeps best like this. I guess I will try again…

If she is delayed, it might very well have to do with her being swaddled. If she has low muscle tone, it's adding to the problem. It's keeping her from building her strength.

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:47 pm
Thanks for the replies!
How can I transition her from swaddling to some type of sleep sack that gives her the same comforting feeling?
Any tips??
It’s hard to explain but the swaddling just calms her and it’s part of our routine. When I swaddle her for an afternoon nap when I’m home she sleeps 3 hours! She’s so happy when she wakes up bec she is so rested. If I nap her without in the stroller she sleeps less and wakes up often…
I don’t want to make her low muscle tone issue worse yet I want her (and me lol) to continue getting a good nights sleep!

amother

DarkRed

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ooooh a halo is different. It really immobilizs the baby.

I hospital tuck swaddle my babies. Have you tried that?

Its basically, you lay a thin blanket (musolin or even better a thin jersey stretchy fabric) flat, put baby's body on it w head off of it, tuck in both sides, pull bottom of blanket up over the front, pull out flaps/sides and tuck it under baby.
I don't know if I'm clear. I'm going to try finding a YouTube video.

Its very cozy for the baby but once they wake up and start moving more, and kicking for a few min, the swaddle gets undone. And its safe because the blanket is under the baby. And if baby gets the swaddle undone and flips, the blanket is below babies head/face.

amother

DarkRed

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:59 pm
Ok this one explains it really well. I do the first one but leave out the last tuck where she brings it to the front. I just leave it tucked under. I leave enough room for the legs to kick around. I prefer jersey/stretchy fabrics rather than musolin. I think it's more comfy for baby, easier to wrap and easier for baby to move around their legs in.

amother

Black

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 10:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the replies!
How can I transition her from swaddling to some type of sleep sack that gives her the same comforting feeling?
Any tips??
It’s hard to explain but the swaddling just calms her and it’s part of our routine. When I swaddle her for an afternoon nap when I’m home she sleeps 3 hours! She’s so happy when she wakes up bec she is so rested. If I nap her without in the stroller she sleeps less and wakes up often…
I don’t want to make her low muscle tone issue worse yet I want her (and me lol) to continue getting a good nights sleep!

She's 7 months old and is swaddled for 3 hours a day and all night? In a halo swaddle?? You basically trained her not to move or roll or do things she's supposed to be doing. She sleeps like that because that's what she's used to. Maybe start by leaving her arms out and get her a sleep sack that she can move around in.

1ofbillions

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:04 pm
This article has some advice on transitioning a baby from swaddling to a sleep sack:

https://takingcarababies.com/t.....addle

amother

Mimosa

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:05 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
She's 7 months old and is swaddled for 3 hours a day and all night? In a halo swaddle?? You basically trained her not to move or roll or do things she's supposed to be doing. She sleeps like that because that's what she's used to. Maybe start by leaving her arms out and get her a sleep sack that she can move around in.

I agree. OP the answer for most babies is 3-4 months. Max. I’ve never heard of a 7 month old being swaddled. It’s dangerous, first of all. Second of all, sleep is important but at this age she needs to start hitting some developmental milestones and you need to support that not hinder it

amother

Hyssop

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:07 pm
Maybe something like this
https://www.target.com/p/trans.....aw.ds

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:10 pm
Thank you all!
No need to scream at me… I’m not trying to hinder her! I never did this with my other babies . I kept it up with her bec she liked it! I saw the delays in gross motor and I am addressing it by having her evaluated and working with her at home. She is my first baby to go to daycare and I thought that was the reason she wasn’t as active as my others bec they just left her on her back as opposed to my old babysitter who was much more stimulating in my home.

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:10 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Maybe something like this
https://www.target.com/p/trans.....aw.ds

Thank you!

amother

Mimosa

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you all!
No need to scream at me… I’m not trying to hinder her! I never did this with my other babies . I kept it up with her bec she liked it! I saw the delays in gross motor and I am addressing it by having her evaluated and working with her at home. She is my first baby to go to daycare and I thought that was the reason she wasn’t as active as my others bec they just left her on her back as opposed to my old babysitter who was much more stimulating in my home.

(OT but why is she left on her back at daycare? She should be getting plenty of tummy time there.)

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:12 pm
In any case I just took one arm out to start.. let’s see how it goes
Thank you another Darkred and 1ofbillions

amother

OP

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:14 pm
amother [ Mimosa ] wrote:
(OT but why is she left on her back at daycare? She should be getting plenty of tummy time there.)

Excellent question! Bec she cried on her tummy and was fine on her back so they left her like that!

amother

Honeysuckle

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Excellent question! Bec she cried on her tummy and was fine on her back so they left her like that!

This is not normal.
How long was she kept on her back for?
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h