Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Losing 1 pound a wk

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 1:34 pm
I’ve been steadily gaining for 3 years. I’ve gained a solid 30 pounds over last 4 years. I’m 40. Prob not having more babies. I have these big goals , but they are not sustainable. So, I’m trying now to lose just one pound / wk . If I do this I’ll be 20
Lbs down In 5 months. I just haven’t been successful and if I don’t do something about it very seriously now, I’ll gain another 30 . Any ideas of how to do this. I try to eat healthy, and exercise regularly. I think drinking more water would help, and never eating pastries, babka, etc . Any other advice, tips? If I could be down 10 pounds by Rosh hashana that would be a dream, and then another 10 by Chanukah - I really hope! I would finally fit into clothes.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 1:42 pm
I would recommend going to a nutritionist. The accountability of the weekly weigh in, having to write down everything you eat, the diet they give you - keeps you on track.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 1:52 pm
Research ( which I can’t look up right now) shows that a minimal caloric deficit leads to more sustainable weightloss.

Bear in mind the scale is not the only way to measure your success.

Making changes when you know something does nt work for you Is a way of making sustainable changes.

Eventually, depending on how much weight you want to lose, you’ll pretty much always have to increase the deficit bc you’re smaller but from my perspective, now that I calmed my insane eating and can feel satiety, that’s not a problem so much anymore.

In the past couple of years I’ve chosen health over losing more weight because I have good health despite being what most would consider overweight.

At some point, whenever I started trying to restrain myself further, I felt out of control so I decided it wasn’t worth it to kill myself for a size that I’m unlikely to be able to sustain. Obesity research bears out that homeostasis will always try to return you to the highest weight. It’s hard to fight hormones ( imagine praying your period away)

I don’t think a pound a week is crazy depending on your actual size but you should also use other measures for progress. So many people don’t lose a pound but go down two sizes or just feel better or aren’t out of breath. These things are also important.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 1:56 pm
By walking 10k steps a day (1.5 hours brisk walking)

You will burn about 500 calories a day. That adds up to 3500 calories which is a pound lost a week.

If you also change your diet a little, you'll lose even more.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 1:58 pm
Andrea
What does minimal caloric deficit mean?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise