Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Is it unhealthy to have catered food every Shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 2:48 pm
If I can afford it. I have young children. I’m very and busy with family and relatives

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 2:52 pm
Yum id love to.

Nope its 100% fine.

Just wondering , if you want home made, where I live there are people that sell homemade shabbos food from home.

Probably a bit healthier then commercial shop bought food, if its an option for you.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 3:16 pm
Depends on how you cook homemade. If you use seed oils, soy sauce, soup mix, duck sauce, consomme and lots of salt and sugar in your cooking on a regular basis, it’s probably not much worse. If you avoid these ingredients in your home cooking, then yes, takeout is definitely less healthy.

Not trying to be patronizing or anything. Just factual.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 3:53 pm
I buy only food that is not fried and not from ground meat only pieces of chicken and meat or vegetables.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I buy only food that is not fried and not from ground meat only pieces of chicken and meat or vegetables.

If you buy dark meat, you know that the fat is not removed.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 3:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They still likely have plenty of salt, sugar, refined oils, msg, soy sauce etcetera.

Bleemee

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:03 pm
What’s “healthy” ? There isn’t one consistent operational definition so you’re going to get answers from posters based on their definitions and perspectives.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:24 pm
Not all catered food is created equal! It depends what you are buying and what the alternative is.

tichellady

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:25 pm
lots of health things to consider including your stress level! I say go for it!

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:30 pm
Define healthy. My rule in life is to survive and be happy. So if that means I need to buy take out that’s what I do. It’s all a balancing act.

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:33 pm
Depends on how the food is prepared. There is healthy catered food and there is unhealthy catered food.

imasinger

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:36 pm
Your psychological health is worth something, too.

Let common sense be your guide. Is anyone gaining a lot of weight since you started getting takeout? Are people eating plenty of veggies, with a nice balance of protein, whole grain, and fruit, during the week?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If I can afford it. I have young children. I’m very and busy with family and relatives

You can make good choices and buy healthy foods. Stick with things like grilled chicken cutlets, barbecue chicken, grilled vegetables, salmon, turkey, etc

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 4:39 pm
DrMom wrote:
Depends on how the food is prepared. There is healthy catered food and there is unhealthy catered food.

Unfortunately there’s almost no such thing as healthy catered food
Caterers use unhealthy oils that are cheapest. They often use margarine or shortening instead of liquid oils and those are trans fats- very unhealthy.
They use a lot of sugar and salt and sauces like teriyaki sauce, bbq sauce that are loaded with unhealthy types of sugars.
A lot of home cooks use those sauces too. I get recipes from friends for salad dressings, meat and chicken dishes that have cups of sugar and honey in them. If you cook that way anyway op, it makes no difference whose kitchen the food comes from.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:04 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
You can make good choices and buy healthy foods. Stick with things like grilled chicken cutlets, barbecue chicken, grilled vegetables, salmon, turkey, etc

That’s what I buy

agreer

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:11 pm
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
If you buy dark meat, you know that the fat is not removed.

Fat gives flavor. That's why caterer food tastes better :-)

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 5:20 pm
As others have posted, ALL restaurant food or catered food contains much more fat than what a home cook attempting to cook in a healthy style would cook. That is because fat carries flavor and is an easier way to add flavor rather than upping the flavor with interesting herbs and spices.

Even regular recipes for home cooks will often use gratuitous amounts of oil. For example a recipe will state have 1/4 cup of oil to saute the chicken and that is completely unnecessary as you can saute with a minimal amount of oil with the right technique and a good pan. Or recipes won't advise people to refrigerate a stew or braise which enables you to get rid of almost all the fat because it congeals on top.

That said, many people eat out at least once a week. What you eat once for dinner really doesn't matter so long as the rest of what you eat balances it out.

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 8:33 pm
I grew up on catered food and I still feel emotionally deprived because I never came home to a home cooked meal. I try to cook homemade creative meals because that's what tells my family that I love them and they are special to me. That was my experience I don't know how my siblings feel.

mig100

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:08 pm
amother [ Lightpink ] wrote:
I grew up on catered food and I still feel emotionally deprived because I never came home to a home cooked meal. I try to cook homemade creative meals because that's what tells my family that I love them and they are special to me. That was my experience I don't know how my siblings feel.

oy. Do you mean you almost never got homemade food?

Do you think if you got takeout for shabbos once a month and once a week during the week for supper it would have affected you negatively?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics