Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Spoiled dairy in food boxes

ceebea

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 7:37 pm
My family has been receiving food boxes this summer and we were having problems with the milk tasting sour some bottles, some weeks, not all of it. At first we thought it was an issue with our older refrigerator because the dairy always comes cold and is never expired. I just found cheese slices from the past week have mold on them. Not expired. I am so disgusted. What is going on with the way the distributors store their dairy? Is anyone having anything similar happen. Everything else from our fridge is fine!

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 7:42 pm
It's very frustrating when that happens. The reason I can come up with is that it has been extremely hot the last couple of weeks. I think that they get the food fresh but by the time it gets distributed, some of it goes bad due to a lack of refrigeration. I hope as the weather cools off you'll get only fresh food. Sorry that this happened to you.

ceebea

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 7:54 pm
I understand and I am so grateful for what we receive! Absolutely no one has the power to control the weather and the volunteers working and heavy lifting in these conditions are champions. What I'm saying is that when I pick up the food it is still always cold including all the dairy. I have never gotten a warm bottle of milk or yogurt or I would throw those items out right away. I wouldn't suspect a problem and then it's a surprise when a bottle of milk is bad with a sour taste in the coffee or cereal. It doesn't happen every time which is why it's been difficult to put together what is going on and why it is happening. Its like it's been left out unrefrigerated for too long but then somehow then refrigerated again. Am I making sense?

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 8:04 pm
What you're saying makes a lot of sense to me!

emzod42

Post Sun, Aug 07 2022, 8:05 pm
I've had the mold thing happen to me with cheese from the grocery store several times. The dates were fine and it looked okay from the package. I stopped buying certain brands that I think have less turnover. Maybe those brands go to the food boxes?

ceebea

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 1:53 pm
That might be it! Has anyone else had this happen though from the food boxes and is it really only my family? This is why I cant decide if it is a problem with our fridge or not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics