Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
The BEST NO FAIL Delicious challah- by breslov
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

myomi

Post Sat, Sep 25 2010, 10:51 pm
I was gonna ask the same question, has anyone used their stand mixer?Do I follow the same steps?

saw50st8

Post Fri, Nov 19 2010, 12:25 pm
Just made this is my stand mixer. I did follow the steps, but will try the dump method next time LOL.

Oh and it came out fantastic. I made an extra roll to taste

ABC

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 4:40 am
ra_mom wrote:
newkallah wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
newkallah wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
newkallah wrote:
Anyone have the exact recipe for this so that I can make the bracha?
How many lbs do you hold you need for a Bracha? I make it with 4.5 lbs. and make a Bracha. Does that work for you?
I use at least 5 lbs. I would love the exact recipe for this to make 5 lbs. Do you have that?
No, I am sorry. Sad
I use 4.5 lbs., which is enough for me to make a Bracha.
In any case, can you please share your measurements! Thank you!

• 4 packets dry yeast
• 1 cup very warm water
• 2 tsp sugar
Mix together. Wait for yeast to activate and bubble until double in size.

Then add:
• 3 cups warm water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 Tbsp salt
• 6 packed cups flour
Mix together with spoon.

Then add:
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup oil
Mix together with spoon.

Then add:
• 6 packed cups flour
Using your hands this time, begin kneading into a good dough, removing from bowl onto clean surface once combined. Continue kneeding.

Prepare:
• ½ cup flour
Sprinkle as needed while kneading dough until just no longer sticky. (But it should not be dry!)

Cover dough with clean towel. Allow to rise 1 hour, punching down 3 times during that hour.

Make Bracha. Take Challah.
Braid into 6 small loaves. Place into greased 2 lb. (size small) loaf pans.
Cover loaves with towel and allow to rise 1 additional hour.
Brush challah with egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Place Challah in cold oven. Turn heat to 350. Bake for 45 minutes.

Thank you Seraph!

ramom - do you have to wait for the yeast to bubble? I thought for dry yeast it wasn't neccessary to proof. how long does it usually take, 10 minutes? lastly, how many tablespoons is 4 packets yeast? thanks!

ABC

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 5:30 am
another question- how many grams or milliliters is your cup measurement? I have a feeling my cup isnt as big as a US cup

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 24 2011, 8:59 pm
ABC wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
newkallah wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
newkallah wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
newkallah wrote:
Anyone have the exact recipe for this so that I can make the bracha?
How many lbs do you hold you need for a Bracha? I make it with 4.5 lbs. and make a Bracha. Does that work for you?
I use at least 5 lbs. I would love the exact recipe for this to make 5 lbs. Do you have that?
No, I am sorry. Sad
I use 4.5 lbs., which is enough for me to make a Bracha.
In any case, can you please share your measurements! Thank you!

• 4 packets dry yeast
• 1 cup very warm water
• 2 tsp sugar
Mix together. Wait for yeast to activate and bubble until double in size.

Then add:
• 3 cups warm water
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 Tbsp salt
• 6 packed cups flour
Mix together with spoon.

Then add:
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 cup oil
Mix together with spoon.

Then add:
• 6 packed cups flour
Using your hands this time, begin kneading into a good dough, removing from bowl onto clean surface once combined. Continue kneeding.

Prepare:
• ½ cup flour
Sprinkle as needed while kneading dough until just no longer sticky. (But it should not be dry!)

Cover dough with clean towel. Allow to rise 1 hour, punching down 3 times during that hour.

Make Bracha. Take Challah.
Braid into 6 small loaves. Place into greased 2 lb. (size small) loaf pans.
Cover loaves with towel and allow to rise 1 additional hour.
Brush challah with egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Place Challah in cold oven. Turn heat to 350. Bake for 45 minutes.

Thank you Seraph!

ramom - do you have to wait for the yeast to bubble? I thought for dry yeast it wasn't neccessary to proof. how long does it usually take, 10 minutes? lastly, how many tablespoons is 4 packets yeast? thanks!
4 packets dry yeast is equal to 3 Tbsp.
You don't have to proof the yeast and wait for it to bubble. But I find that proofing it makes the Challahs rise better.
Unfortunately, I do not know how many grams or milliliters are in my cup measurement. For the flour and sugar, I use a dry ingredient measurement cup, and pack the flour tightly when measuring.

caligirl

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:04 pm
Has anyone tried making up this dough and leaving it in fridge over night and then braiding and baking the following day?

mango

Post Mon, Jun 13 2011, 11:10 pm
caligirl wrote:
Has anyone tried making up this dough and leaving it in fridge over night and then braiding and baking the following day?

Yep I have and it was a bit tough to work with but baked fine came out delicious! Although I didn't follow it fully I did half whole wheat and added more liquid as it was to hard to knead properly that was prob y it was tough to work with when it cane out if the fridge (bc of the whole wheat flour)

theoneandonly

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 11:49 am
If this is supposed to be a NO FAIL recipe, can someone answer me why my dough didn't rise???

Eh, guess I'm a failure... Wink

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 15 2011, 1:32 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
If this is supposed to be a NO FAIL recipe, can someone answer me why my dough didn't rise???

Eh, guess I'm a failure... Wink
What type of yeast did you use? how warm was the water?

checkbefore

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 12:45 pm
Ok, printed this recipe out. Wish me luck, this will be my first attempt at baking challah!

checkbefore

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 6:25 pm
Ok, so I baked my first challahs! I did exactly as Seraph instructed. I put in 1.5 tb of dry yeast, since it wasnt so clear what kind. Anyway, they didn't really rise out of the oven, and in the oven they grew but not into the fluffy challahs I was imagining. I was able to make 2 small ones, and one mini roll. I hope my husband will like this surprise!

#1baker

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 6:42 pm
checkbefore wrote:
Ok, so I baked my first challahs! I did exactly as Seraph instructed. I put in 1.5 tb of dry yeast, since it wasnt so clear what kind. Anyway, they didn't really rise out of the oven, and in the oven they grew but not into the fluffy challahs I was imagining. I was able to make 2 small ones, and one mini roll. I hope my husband will like this surprise!

im super impressed with my friend!!!!! Salut Thumbs Up

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 7:14 pm
checkbefore wrote:
Beautiful!
They will taste delicious, don't worry!

If you want they to rise higher next time, proof the yeast with warm water and a tsp of sugar, let the braided challahs rise for a full hour (second rise), and then place them in a cold oven- not preheated.

I am sure your husband will love them! Seraph's recipe rocks!

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 7:33 pm
re taking challah.

my recipe is 4.5 cups of flour and I need to make 4 recipes to take challah with a bracha.

it depends if you follow 12, 16 or 18 cups. all are valid and it depends on who you learned with.

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 7:34 pm
caligirl wrote:

dough is hard to handle when cold. let it warm to room temperature or so and it will be easier to handle.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:18 pm
ra_mom wrote:
checkbefore wrote:
Beautiful!

If you want they to rise higher next time, proof the yeast with warm water and a tsp of sugar, let the braided challahs rise for a full hour (second rise), and then place them in a cold oven- not preheated.

!

How long do you bake them for if you start them in a cold oven? this sounds like an interesting idea!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:36 pm
lamplighter wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
checkbefore wrote:
Beautiful!

!

How long do you bake them for if you start them in a cold oven? this sounds like an interesting idea!
Same 45 minutes. They come out perfect.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 8:39 pm
caligirl wrote:
I have. I do it when I have to. They come out very good. I do like them better the other way, but really not much of a diff.

Knead it into a good dough. Then tie it into a disposable plastic tablecloth leaving lots of room for it to grow, but no open spots where the dough can seep out of and get hard. Place it into a large bowl and place in fridge overnight.

Take it out of the fridge in the morning, punch down quickly, and then allow it to come to room temp or close to room temp (2-3 hours?)

Proceed as usual.

Butterscoth

Post Thu, Aug 11 2011, 9:16 pm
I must say this is a real winner!! thanks for posting it!

checkbefore

Post Fri, Aug 12 2011, 12:11 pm
@ra mom I did put it in a cold oven, as you suggested in previous posts. In the original recipe she says to add the yeast to 2 c warm water. I did that but it didnt bubble. Should I first add the yeast to a little water first to activate it?
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads