Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
The BEST NO FAIL Delicious challah- by breslov
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10

strawberries

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 9:57 pm
do I knead with the machine for the same amount of time that I did by hand? ( I just got the bosch so it will be my first time using a machine to make challah)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 11 2013, 10:28 pm
strawberries wrote:
do I knead with the machine for the same amount of time that I did by hand? ( I just got the bosch so it will be my first time using a machine to make challah)
Use the directions from here
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....onits

1. Place yeast, sugar, and warm water in the mixer bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients, alternating wet and dry. Put in salt last, so that yeast & salt don't touch.
3. Mix in mixer for 20 minutes on low speed (speed 1).
4. Rise in mixer for 20 minutes. Give one spin with the mixer to punch it down.
5. Rise in mixer for an additional 40 min.

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 2:03 pm
Thank you for this original post and the many recipes in this thread! I made the challah recipe in the original post and it was delicious!!

BrachaBatya

Post Sun, Aug 17 2014, 12:23 am
I'm late to the party but wanted to thank you for this recipe! I have really enjoyed making it for our family, and giving loaves away. It is delicious "as listed" in the original post, and also with occasional tweaks. Wonderful base recipe!

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 9:31 am
Bumping this to add some info. I had posted up thread some place that I made this recipe and it was one of the best ones (of many). My reluctance to use it as my regular recipe was that it wasn't a 5 lb. flour recipe. However, lately my challah has not come out well and I decided to go back to this one. I realized that if I made 1.5 times the original recipe it was around a 5 lb. recipe (the original recipe uses 12 cups flour, so 1.5 times that is 18 cups). My 5 lb. flour bag says it contains 18.5 cups, but I've always found that I got much less from it (probably because my house's humidity is very controlled and there's no moisture in the air). So I made 1.5 times the recipe, measuring the flour. I found that my bag only gave me 16 cups, and I used 2 cups from another bag. Anyway, it worked perfectly, the dough was great to work with and the challahs look great. So, if you want a 5 lb. recipe and like this one, just make 1.5 times the recipe, but measure the flour and have some extra on hand in case your bag does not measure 18 cups.

zaq

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 11:27 am
OOT bubby, the reason your bag of flour gives less than the number of cups on the label is not lack of humidity, but gravity. IOW, product settles. Ideally you're supposed to stir or sift the flour to fluff it back up before measuring, not that anyone does. Failing to do so results in putting more flour in than you think you're measuring. In fact you're not supposed to use your measuring cup to scoop out flour from the sack but fill the cup with a large spoon, not that anyone does. This is less critical with bread than with cake.

In humid conditions, flour, like most powders, cakes, and if anything, would occupy a smaller volume than usual. In a dry environment, the particles tend to repel each other and the aggregate would take up more space, but probably not enough to make a material difference in the volume of a 5 lb. sack.

iyar

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 1:18 pm
OOT Bubby, am I missing something? Looked to me like the original recipe was 7 cups flour. Double that is less that a five pound bag, not 1.5 times the recipe.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Aug 04 2017, 1:31 pm
iyar wrote:
OOT Bubby, am I missing something? Looked to me like the original recipe was 7 cups flour. Double that is less that a five pound bag, not 1.5 times the recipe.

It looks like I must have already doubled it previously. So I doubled it and then did 1.5 times of that. Except that I had a total of 6 cups written for my doubled version which is what must have worked for me.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Aug 05 2017, 10:59 pm
To clarify my 2 posts above, following are the amounts I used and the procedure I used in a Bosch.

4 tablespoons dry yeast
1.5 cups very warm water
1 tablespoon sugar

Mix together on low speed just to combine. Wait for yeast to activate and bubble.

Add:
4.5 cups warm water
1.5 cups sugar
3 tablespoons salt
9 cups flour (scooped from bag)

Mix on low speed.

Add:
3 eggs
1.5 cups oil

Mix on low speed until combined.

Add gradually over 8-10 minutes on low speed:
9 cups flour

If dough is very sticky (mine was not), add a little more flour as needed. Spread the surface of the dough with oil.

Cover and allow to rise for 1 hour, punching down 3 times.

Take challah.

Form loaves and let rise 1 hour more. Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Bake in preheated oven (see *note) at 350 until done (depending on size 25-45 minutes).

*Note: Newer ovens use a very high blast of heat while preheating, so it isn't a good idea to put things in the cold oven as they can get scorched while the oven reaches temperature.

Now, I don't know if this can still be called Seraph's recipe, but I found it gave very similar results while 1) using at least 5 lb. flour (I needed 2 cups more than 5 lb. to get the total of 18 cups used) and 2) using a Bosch.

I was very pleased with the results; the dough was wonderful to work with. I will be using this recipe for now.

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Aug 27 2018, 11:52 am
Hi, I just wanted to chime in and say I tried this, kneaded by hand, came out awesome and the whole family loved it. Thank you!
Page 10 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads