Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Old emails

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 3:04 pm
I happen to look through some old emails and I am shocked by how my overall tone and demeanor have changed. I cringe at how I used to "speak" to some ppl - like I was sharp and blunt and wasn't kind enough. Like not mean or inappropriate but not sweet enough. If I received an email from me 10 years ago I would think I was so unrefined.
Just a shock
Anyone else have this?

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 3:07 pm
Better than finding the opposite--that you used to be nice and are no longer.

amother
Obsidian

I noticed that too. But I think it’s how we all did it. It was short and to the point. Now we spend time making it flowery and writing whole paragraphs. Don’t worry you fit into the times

BrisketBoss

I still write comments that can come across this way. Man, typing is a whole different ball park. But I like it because I don't have to be as fast on my feet, and maybe it feels safer.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 3:16 pm
I don’t think so, I think I’ve always come across as friendly, but I see how it makes such a difference when you take the effort to sound kind when texting. Some people come across so abrupt and it definitely forms my impression about them in real life, even if it’s not accurate. Even something as harmless as writing “np” as opposed to “no problem at all!” or “my pleasure!” Plus friendly emojis never hurt 😉 Definitely sets the tone.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 3:41 pm
I too cringe...
I used text speak more often and I’m mortified...

I definitely have more a “professional” flow to my messages these days.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:13 pm
I have the opposite. I used to be more funny, easygoing and social.

Now I’m much more blunt and to the point. Sometimes I think my personality now can be pretty unlikable. I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve been so anti social for the last few years I’ve simply forgotten how to communicate, or if my recent experience has hardened me and changed me in this way.

It’s really horrible actually. Be grateful yours is the other way around..

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:04 pm
Oy I once looked back at my emails from 12-13 years ago when I was straight out of sem and I cringe. Every sentence ends in !!!!!!! and half of what I wrote is in caps. If I would get an email like that today I would think that person is nuts or high LOL

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:14 pm
Reminds me years ago when dh emailed the camp where dd applied as a counselor. He asked for clarification of an issue we were having with the application process. The director then called me up furious about how rude he was and I don’t want to deal with horrible parents like you. I was so shocked and mortified. Dh insisted he didn’t mean any rudeness at all. He isn’t so socially savvy so maybe that was it. Had me crying and took me a long time to get over it.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:39 pm
I purge my emails every so often so I don't have any from very long ago, but I can tell you that, several years ago, when I read my contributions to my college student newspaper --I won't tell you what year it was but the Soviet Union and the Berlin Wall were still standing--I wanted to crawl into a cave. IDK why I kept them so long but they're gone now. They weren't rude, just immature to my middle-aged eyes. They were pretty good for a kid of 19 or 20.

My PowerPoints from 25+ years ago when I was first learning? Horrendous! I had to do them all over once I learned that the purpose of a PowerPoint is to convey knowledge in a clear and undistracting manner, not to show off one's ability to switch fonts, colors and animations.

Point being, don't judge yesterday's product by today's standards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette