Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Can you help list the high schools in Brooklyn?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:28 pm
My daughter is in a high school now and it is so bad for her. She finally told me today if I find her another school that isn’t so Bais yaakovy she would consider switching. Can you help me out and list the schools out there? Right now she’s in a Flatbush school. Not looking to go to chasidish schools.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:30 pm
Bais Yaakov D'rav Meir

Jello

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:31 pm
Bnos Leah prospect park yeshiva

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:32 pm
Some high schools that might be better for her
Bnos Leah Prospect
Bnos Yaakov
Lev Bais Yaakov

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:32 pm
Prospect Park

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:33 pm
Less bais yaakovy would be Masores and prospect.

Drav meir is strict and on the very frum side.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:44 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Less bais yaakovy would be Masores and prospect.

Drav meir is strict and on the very frum side.

Masores and Lev are less strict but still BY. PPY tries to be a BY. Does she want a BY? Does she was a place without specific rules? If so, what are they? Is she looking for a place where questions are encouraged? There are girls schools that are not BY, like Shulamith. Then there's nefesh academy. Hard to say what's best without knowing more specifically what exactly she wants.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:48 pm
She goes to one of the schools listed. It is a school that many many girls are leaving in middle or end of the year. It used to be a fantastic school but lately isn’t doing well at all. I’m wondering if the people that listed the schools actually know the schools or they just know the name?

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 5:53 pm
I sent one of my kids to PPY. I don't know if it's really considered a BY anymore. She loved the teachers and the admin, they were so warm and accepting, and the girls are a nice group. It's definitely more heterogenous than a BY school, but she really liked the mix.
Another thing she liked was that the teachers and the admin talk about everything -- no topic is off limits, and she was able to ask whatever questions she had and not feel stupid or bad about it.
The people there are seasoned professionals and I came out of the experience feeling as though I had developed relationships of deep trust with many of them.
The academics are definitely hard, but the teachers don't tend to give busywork, just work that has a clear objective.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:03 pm
There are good options listed.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
She goes to one of the schools listed. It is a school that many many girls are leaving in middle or end of the year. It used to be a fantastic school but lately isn’t doing well at all. I’m wondering if the people that listed the schools actually know the schools or they just know the name?

I wonder if your daughter is in my daughter's school. I suggested it as an option up thread. It's true that the school is getting smaller. The staff is great. Though I agree that the dwindling group of girls hasn't been great for her.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:34 pm
You're referring to bnos Yaakov?

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 6:51 pm
There's nothing "less bais yaakovy" in Brooklyn than what's listed. Would she travel? Maybe Manhattan HS? Does she just want a non bais yaakov? If so, aside for Shulamith, there are no other all girls schools except for kiruv options like shalsheles and BHI. Do you want coed options? Options in other boroughs?

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 7:15 pm
Central or Bruriah?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 8:35 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
You're referring to bnos Yaakov?

No. But maybe I should try looking into it again. I heard it’s trying to build up its name again

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 9:37 pm
Theres another school on coney about N and O. Nitzos. A newer school

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:22 pm
Nobody mentioned BYA .

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 10:36 pm
amother [ Midnight ] wrote:
Nobody mentioned BYA .

BYA is awful. Exactly the opposite of what OP wants.
Hanhala that preaches all day and has no clue what's actually going on with their studentsa

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:25 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
BYA is awful. Exactly the opposite of what OP wants.
Hanhala that preaches all day and has no clue what's actually going on with their studentsa

I know so many families that send there that are very happy there. Don't call a school awful

bobeli

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:31 pm
Not Brooklyn but you can look into mhs
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics