Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Inside of ring has gunk, for lack of a better word!

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:44 pm
I have a ring with an intricate style. It has lots of tiny holes from the front to the back, and I guess that lots of dust/crumbs fly in.

The inside of the ring, the part that touches my finger, has visible gunk! Is there a better word? It’s gray/brown mush caught in the intricacies of the design.

I’ve soaked it in water and soap and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. But a few days after wearing it, that needs to be done all over again! And it needs to soak for about half a day!

I’ve been thinking. What if I put clear nail polish on the inside of the ring? And reapplied it every week? The ring is 14k with semi precious gems, if that matters.

Advice?

lkwdlady

Post Mon, Aug 08 2022, 11:52 pm
Soak in a mixture of hot (boiling)water, baking soda and dish soap. The little pieces of dust will float off and the ring will look shiny.
I don’t know what will happen if you use nail polish. Maybe ask a jeweler for a good idea.

rising hero

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:13 am
DustyDiamonds wrote:
I have a ring with an intricate style. It has lots of tiny holes from the front to the back, and I guess that lots of dust/crumbs fly in.

The inside of the ring, the part that touches my finger, has visible gunk! Is there a better word? It’s gray/brown mush caught in the intricacies of the design.

I’ve soaked it in water and soap and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. But a few days after wearing it, that needs to be done all over again! And it needs to soak for about half a day!

I’ve been thinking. What if I put clear nail polish on the inside of the ring? And reapplied it every week? The ring is 14k with semi precious gems, if that matters.

Advice?

Your username matches the thread. Just saying.

There might be something in particular that you do while wearing the ring that causes it to get dirty again quickly. Or it just needs to be cleaned more often. Find out if its ok to use a toothbrush often it might not be good for the setting. Ask a jeweler.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 1:37 am
Hydrogen peroxide gets organic stuff off.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:31 am
Soak in diluted soapy ammonia and apply that toothbrush. Do not use nail polish, which will just fill in the perforations and make the ring look cheap, then eventually peel, making the ring look even worse, after which you'll have the joy of trying to remove the polish.

And for pity's sake take the ring off before cooking, baking, or applying cream, lotion or makeup. That's what most of that grunge is, unless you're a ceramicist and wear your ring when you throw a pot.

zaq

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 4:38 am
What specific stones does it have? Some should not be soaked in ammonia. And do NOT use hot water, which can loosen the settings and melt any cement that may have been used to secure the stones.
Best thing is to ask a jeweler. Soft stones like opal, jade and turquoise call for different treatment than harder, glassy jewels.

DustyDiamonds

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 5:32 am
zaq wrote:
What specific stones does it have? Some should not be soaked in ammonia. And do NOT use hot water, which can loosen the settings and melt any cement that may have been used to secure the stones.
Best thing is to ask a jeweler. Soft stones like opal, jade and turquoise call for different treatment than harder, glassy jewels.

It’s various colored amethysts. Good idea to ask the jeweler where I bought it!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 5:41 am
Rings should not be worn when cooking baking or dealing with anything food related. Highly unhygienic.

srbmom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:20 am
I have this that I got years ago and use to clean my ring. It works amazingly and so simple to use

https://www.amazon.com/Connois.....1ZQ==
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry