Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is it time to leave this job? Entry level earning more than
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 2:59 pm
I have many years of experience in my current job. I have invested in my skill set and I am a valuable worker.
I recently asked for a raise but before hearing back from my manager I found out that a new entry level hire(That I will be involved with hiring and training) is going to be earning more than me even if I get the raise I requested.
I feel really stupid.
Is it time to leave this job?
Editing to add that the new hire is probably only a few years younger than me

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:01 pm
Yes yes yes!!!!

They apparently don't fully appreciate you for what your worth if they could do that to you...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
Yes yes yes!!!!

They apparently don't fully appreciate you for what your worth if they could do that to you...

But they value a random new hire more than me?
I am so confused. Are they just trying to be cheap?
I struggling not to take this personally after being a loyal and dedicated employee for so many years.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:06 pm
And now what?
Say it is really time to leave and that perhaps management is rotten in many ways. Do I just find a new job and quit? Do I explain?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But they value a random new hire more than me?
I am so confused. Are they just trying to be cheap?
I struggling not to take this personally after being a loyal and dedicated employee for so many years.

They don't value her more, they are simply paying the going rate.

They should have came to you to offer you a raise a while ago.

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:09 pm
People are desperate for employees. Its crazy. Its not sustainable and there is an expression last hired first fired. I think you should advocate for yourself to get a raise.

Do you get any thing else besides money that is valuable? Personally if I leave my job I will get more money elsewhere but I have certain benefits in regards to flexibility that I am not sure another employer will give me. So I am not looking right now even thought I really do need the money.

If you get poor benefits and and lousy pay for sure go look elsewhere.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:12 pm
Keep working and look into other jobs

amother
Peony

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:16 pm
It's not personal, it's about the bottom line. They hired someone new for more because they didn't think they could get someone for less, but they thought they could keep you without paying more because you already work for them. They'll find out soon that that isn't the case!

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:18 pm
DH found this out at a company party when someone was tipsy and too talkative. Made a time to speak with his boss and told him felt this was unfair due to his superior experience and would like a 20% bump, and got it. No harm trying!!!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:21 pm
amother [ Vanilla ] wrote:
DH found this out at a company party when someone was tipsy and too talkative. Made a time to speak with his boss and told him felt this was unfair due to his superior experience and would like a 20% bump, and got it. No harm trying!!!

But since I am literally negotiating a raise right now I feel really childish coming back and saying. 'Hey guys, remember the 10% raise I wanted... so now I changed my mind... I want 20%'
How can I actually do that and still sound professional?

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
But since I am literally negotiating a raise right now I feel really childish coming back and saying. 'Hey guys, remember the 10% raise I wanted... so now I changed my mind... I want 20%'

That you've done more research and hear that ___ is really the going rate - would they be able to match.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:24 pm
Never mind 20%...
That won't even be enough to close the gap. It will take at least 23%
oi.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:33 pm
amother [ Ghostwhite ] wrote:
They don't value her more, they are simply paying the going rate.

They should have came to you to offer you a raise a while ago.

You have no idea.
They really should have.
Never going to happen.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:33 pm
If the new hire is earning more than you at a 20% raise, why are you only asking for 20%? They need you and they know how hard it is to get new employees.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:36 pm
I recently had this with my job. I noticed they were hiring someone for the same salary that I was paid after years of experience and all. I explained the situation to my boss asking for a raise and noting all the accomplishments I have done and how I have made the company grow. I was prepared to quit though if they wouldn’t pay me more than the other person. They did give me a raise and apologized.

I was speaking to someone who is a lot more professional and has a lot of experience in the work field and how things work and she explained that that’s how it works. When you get hired at a company, every year or so you can get a raise at a certain percentage. But when the economy changes, they have to offer more than the year before for the same job. That increase could be higher than your percentage raise and thus the discrepancy begins. The way to work around it is either be straight up and ask for the amount that you feel you now deserve or switch to a competitor who will offer you a higher starting salary.

amother
Bellflower

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:37 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Never mind 20%...
That won't even be enough to close the gap. It will take at least 23%
oi.

Don’t ask for percent raise then. Bring real numbers and explain why you are asking for that and why you think you deserve it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:39 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
If the new hire is earning more than you at a 20% raise, why are you only asking for 20%? They need you and they know how hard it is to get new employees.

I only found out about this after requesting a 10%(!) raise.
I quess I should now really go back and ask for a much higher amount.

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 3:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It is a little awkward but things have changed. You've since found out that an entry level worker will be making more than you.

I think you should be upfront. Maybe kind of hint it and say.....I didn't fully originally realize what the going rate is for my position was. Now that I do I'm going to request X. If they give it to you- great! Otherwise maybe start looking. Hatslacha!

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:09 pm
I don’t think most employers offer raises even if they should.
I would go back ask for more and if they don’t agree start looking. I wouldn’t give up just because they didn’t offer without asking.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:15 pm
Your employer is not being malicious, just practical. This happens in every industry. Wages go up and people who stay put don’t benefit as much as people who switch jobs. However, a long term job has other benefits such as knowing what to expect and also the “last to get fired” if things get rough.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics