Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
2 month old baby wakes up after 30 minutes of nap
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 5:54 pm
I do the sleep-feed-wake cycle. I make sure to put baby to sleep after 60-90 minutes to make sure he isn't getting overtired. It's very hard to get him to sleep. but when I finally get him to sleep he wakes up after a half hour and is clearly still very very tired but I can't get him back to sleep.

any ideas?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:17 pm
Hungry babies wake up like that, in my experience. Make sure that the baby is full.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:23 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Hungry babies wake up like that, in my experience. Make sure that the baby is full.

He seems full. and doesnt seem hungry when he wakes up.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:24 pm
Most of the time babies this age don't nap longer than 20-30 minutes. Regardless of whether or not they're tired. Nap time lengthens as they get older.

amother
Almond

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:24 pm
It's normal for babies to cat nap till 4-6 months. It's frustrating, but normal.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:25 pm
Babies have a mini awakening around that point and sometimes need motion and sound to fall back asleep. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001NLKVMC/

amother
Kiwi

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:28 pm
Is there a history of reflux?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:36 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Most of the time babies this age don't nap longer than 20-30 minutes. Regardless of whether or not they're tired. Nap time lengthens as they get older.

Everything I read says their naps should be 1.5-2 hours

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:37 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
Is there a history of reflux?

no

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 6:38 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Everything I read says their naps should be 1.5-2 hours

I guess most babies never read those books 😂 Seriously, this is absolutely, completely normal. It's less common for a 2 month old to sleep such long stretches. But who would buy books that tell you that?

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:08 pm
He might need to go to sleep earlier if he's having a hard time going to sleep and then walking up so soon.60-90 minutes might be too long for him.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:30 pm
My baby did the same thing for too long. It was very frustrating. I could not do anything because she would for sure wake up as soon as started.

RevitalizedMom

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:47 pm
Overtired babies can do this. But I also think it’s somewhat normal. My babies sleep max 45 min at this age so I get how difficult it is.

Try putting baby to sleep closer to the 60 min mark and see if sleep improves.

Or you might be putting baby to sleep too soon.

I think by the time you figure it out they outgrow it 🤷🏻‍♀️

Good luck!

tichellady

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:10 pm
my babies don’t take naps that are more than one sleep cycle until at least 6 months. I hate the books because they make me feel like something is wrong but this is actually normal

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:14 pm
There are some babies who just. don't. sleep! BTDT twice now. Forget the books, nothing will keep him asleep longer unless you do some serious sleep training, and even then there are no guarantees. One thing that kept me sane was doing a feed-sleep-wake cycle, so at least I didn't spend longer trying to get my babies to sleep than the amount they actually slept!!! Plus a noise-machine, because then I didn't panic about every noise that occurred during the precious nap.
Huge hatzlacha!

SG18

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 2:42 am
My baby only slept 20-30 minutes when I put her down. Contact naps 1.5-2 hours. I brought my laptop or book and settled down for at least one nap a day.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:01 pm
SG18 wrote:
My baby only slept 20-30 minutes when I put her down. Contact naps 1.5-2 hours. I brought my laptop or book and settled down for at least one nap a day.

I don't understand your post. What are contact naps?

amother
Cherry

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 12:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't understand your post. What are contact naps?

That the baby sleeps on you…
Not very practical lol

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:09 pm
SG18 wrote:

The funny thing is, my baby did not sleep on me! Only on DH. So every day when DH came home, he would nap with my baby.

amother
Daffodil

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:27 pm
Contrary to what everyone here is saying (and they're all going to scream at me for this) 2 month old babies NEED to sleep. It is necessary for their development.
What you are describing sounds like an overtired baby, you should probably be putting him in by 60 minutes (keeping in mind that the 60 minute wake time includes the feed. So he is awake for 60 minutes total.)
Also a swaddle blanket (I've been told) works wonders. Baby doesn't jerk himself awake by his own movements.
If he does wake up earlier than you'd like,
1) make sure he's fully awake before going into him. Don't run in the second you hear him stir. He may fall back asleep on his own.
2)try to calm him without taking him out of the crib. Give a pacifier (if he uses it) and make shushing noises (they even sell baby shushers) while you very gently pat him so he knows you are there.
Know that waking up after 30 minutes actually makes sense because the body naturally awakens after each REM cycle. The trick is to get him to not fully awaken himself and slide right back into sleep after a REM cycle.
This is a little "habit" he's taken on, but luckily he's so little that it shouldn't take too long to break it.
Hatzlacha. And know that by the time you get the hang of this stage he'll be on to the next. I always tell myself with infants that by the time I walk them down the aisle they won't be doing this anymore.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics