Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sourdough made me feel sick!

mammala120

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 7:47 pm
Is this normal. I thought this supposed to be healthy. I used to buy from store and didn’t feel any difference in terms of health. Decided to make my own. Just started with started. Looks very healthy. A little watery. Fed it. It Artie well. I used 1/4 of started from second day to make pancakes. Ate felt great. Then fatigued then headache. Now some belly fullness and slight nausea.
This only happened to me once when I ate homemade sourkraut. Or kefir.

Anyone can relate? What can be causing this and how do I feel better?

anonymrs

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 8:14 pm
I'm no expert on fermenting but here are my 2 thoughts-

1. Fermented foods are tolerated better if you take a trace mineral supplement. Don't ask me why, like I said, I'm not an expert but someone told me this and I found it true for myself.

2. This is why I only ferment with an airlock. Unless your gut is in tip top shape, the airborne pathogens end up in your food and your gut won't like it.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:32 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Is this normal. I thought this supposed to be healthy. I used to buy from store and didn’t feel any difference in terms of health. Decided to make my own. Just started with started. Looks very healthy. A little watery. Fed it. It Artie well. I used 1/4 of started from second day to make pancakes. Ate felt great. Then fatigued then headache. Now some belly fullness and slight nausea.

Wait, did you make your own starter from scratch? Or did you receive a starter from somewhere and keep growing it? If you started from scratch and used it on the second day, that would be much too early and not a mature sourdough yet. It takes minimum a week (with regular feedings) to mature. Before that, it's not acidic enough and can contain bad bacteria.
Another thing is, pancakes might not be heated through enough, their frying time is rather short. Sourdough is not meant to be eaten undercooked. It needs to be fried or baked through very thoroughly. If parts of it are still "alive" when you eat them, they'll keep fermenting inside your belly.

graphic613

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 10:48 pm
Maybe try gluten free sourdough

Ruchi

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:01 pm
mammala120 wrote:

Oh dear me.
Sourdough starter should not be used this early. You would need to keep on feeding it for at least a week before its "ready" to be used.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Aug 09 2022, 11:05 pm
Try buying real sourdough bread and see how you tolerate it.

If you can tolerate the store bought, learn to make your own from an expert.

There are YouTube videos.

As others posted, a 2 day starter is not "ripe" for baking yet.

mammala120

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:31 pm
BadTichelDay wrote:
Wait, did you make your own starter from scratch? Or did you receive a starter from somewhere and keep growing it? If you started from scratch and used it on the second day, that would be much too early and not a mature sourdough yet. It takes minimum a week (with regular feedings) to mature. Before that, it's not acidic enough and can contain bad bacteria.
Another thing is, pancakes might not be heated through enough, their frying time is rather short. Sourdough is not meant to be eaten undercooked. It needs to be fried or baked through very thoroughly. If parts of it are still "alive" when you eat them, they'll keep fermenting inside your belly.

Oh my! That makes so much sense. Thank you for responding. It was my own starter. First timer here.

mammala120

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:33 pm
anonymrs wrote:
I'm no expert on fermenting but here are my 2 thoughts-

1. Fermented foods are tolerated better if you take a trace mineral supplement. Don't ask me why, like I said, I'm not an expert but someone told me this and I found it true for myself.

2. This is why I only ferment with an airlock. Unless your gut is in tip top shape, the airborne pathogens end up in your food and your gut won't like it.

You can ferment sourdough with airlock? That prevents bad organism from growing??please tell me more. Do you do same with other firmented veggies too?

mammala120

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 3:35 pm
So should I continue feeding it and then bake it in oven so it’s not raw? I did eat sourdough from stores and never had such experience. Happened once before when I tried firmenting sauerkraut.

Camelback

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 4:02 pm
If Sauerkraut and kefir makes you sick, well - they contain the same bacteria for fermentation as sourdough.
Once the sourdough is baked, the bacteria are dead, but if you make patties, they might not be cooked all through and some of the lactobacillus acidophilus might still be alive.

And no, you cannot grow sourdough under a ziplock or airtight bag. Sourdough needs air, you just cover it with a cheesecloth or cotton towel. If you leave it airtight, mold will form, that's not what you want.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:10 pm
Camelback wrote:
If Sauerkraut and kefir makes you sick, well - they contain the same bacteria for fermentation as sourdough.
Once the sourdough is baked, the bacteria are dead, but if you make patties, they might not be cooked all through and some of the lactobacillus acidophilus might still be alive.

And no, you cannot grow sourdough under a ziplock or airtight bag. Sourdough needs air, you just cover it with a cheesecloth or cotton towel. If you leave it airtight, mold will form, that's not what you want.

It's not airtight, it's an airlock, meaning it protects it from air. It doesn't get moldy. Look on Amazon for airlock and you'll see what I'm talking about.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:13 pm
mammala120 wrote:
You can ferment sourdough with airlock? That prevents bad organism from growing??please tell me more. Do you do same with other firmented veggies too?

yes I only ferment in a glass jar with an airlock. It allows gases out but doesn't let air in so the environment is inhospitable to mold and bad bacteria.

mammala120

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 6:00 am
Thank you ladies. I will buy airlock and try again.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads