Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media
Instagram is so fake
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:44 pm
Lately I am enjoying Instagram less and less. These influencers talk and then u realize it is just an ad. I use to watch one of the frum females and then I realized whatever she said or promoted was just an advertisement for that item. They get free stuff and then promote it on their Insta stories. I realize it's all fake. Doesn't mean this item is good.... Just because they got it for free. I really don't enjoy watching these IG stories anymore. It's all paid advertisement

wifeandmore

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:50 pm
Yup
I think the Pesach dekals taught that to us

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 12:56 pm
My rule is never to buy anything I can't return. You can't trust anything people promote. They are getting paid to say it. Really they should be posting #ad but only a few of them do. Assume everything they say they are being paid to say.

watergirl

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:00 pm
If something is free, YOU are the product. This phrase has been in print since the 1970s.

Of course Instagram is fake! Why would anyone be on there all day posting and talking and cooking and singing and "inspiring" and doing show-and-tell just out of the kindness of their hearts? Any person who is willing to devote their time the way these "influencers" do have to be getting something out of it. It is their job. Why would anyone think otherwise?

There are a few totally transparent accounts on there, sure. And they are honest that this is their parnassa, which I appreciate. None of them are able to be nogeah b'davar. Why would anyone expect otherwise?

I fully expect that there are going to be those who take their platform off social media, even more now than ever considering the newest push to get people off instagram. So if people are losing followers, therefor losing eyeballs which --> losing income, they have to wither get a new job or find a way to continue to derive income by doing the same thing but on a new platform. You can go the Yael/imamother model and have the paid flashing ads or you can have people sign up for a subscription service. This is not shocking. Vote with your wallet.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:25 pm
If it’s on there, they are getting paid to market it. Don’t fool yourself. Being an “influencer” is a paid job. They’re not promoting products, experiences , etc for free.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:31 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
Yup
I think the Pesach dekals taught that to us

?? What does this mean?

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:34 pm
After a while you can filter out who is fake and who is authentic.
It’s really easy to unfollow the people that you don’t enjoy watching.
Different people like different things.
Their account might not be for you, but someone else might enjoy it.

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
?? What does this mean?

the countertop covers for pesach

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ Moonstone ] wrote:
the countertop covers for pesach

Guess I missed this one, I have no clue what your talking about.
Can you fill me in? What happened??

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lately I am enjoying Instagram less and less. These influencers talk and then u realize it is just an ad. I use to watch one of the frum females and then I realized whatever she said or promoted was just an advertisement for that item. They get free stuff and then promote it on their Insta stories. I realize it's all fake. Doesn't mean this item is good.... Just because they got it for free. I really don't enjoy watching these IG stories anymore. It's all paid advertisement
Of course its fake. Just like most of social media. Thats what it is. And the sooner you realize it, the happier you will be.
(I looked at instagram, for the first time, for a digital marketing course and thought, gosh, this is beyond silly, for so many reasons, and was so glad I had never signed up for it.)

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:36 pm
I didn't notice anyone pointing a gun at your head saying "Watch Instagram or I'll blow you to bits." You don't like the platform, why are you bothering with it? Millions of people live happy, productive, fruitful lives without ever subscribing to Insta or any of its cousins.

FTR, social media are all fake, even the ones that aren't selling anything. You really believe all those "perfect" lives reflected in perky, fizzy, bubbly, excited FB posts? Get real! Nobody's going to post pictures of themselves looking like three-week-old tuna casserole or disposing of a mouse trap that did its job. Of COURSE they're going to doll themselves up for the pix and then crop pictures to show only the best parts.

The saddest part is that many people do believe those social-media fairy tales and succumb to depression because "everyone else has a fabulous life and my life is in the gutter." Some of them are even otherwise intelligent people who ought to know better but for some reason put their intellect on hold when they log in.

Last edited by zaq on Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Guess I missed this one, I have no clue what your talking about.
Can you fill me in? What happened??

A number of popular content creators on Instagram promoted a new brand of sticky counter covers for Pesach as the best thing since sliced bread.

From what I gather, they were very difficult to remove and left unsightly residue behind on the counters.

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

That's exactly why I deleted mine. There were those 1 or 2 who I found to be really genuine. The rest I couldn't stand anymore.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 5:55 pm
Yup. Completely agree. I chose a certain kind of life based off someone else’s on Facebook (a rebbitzen) many years ago and now hate it. Unfortunately can’t just get rid of it but it’s not me, however glamorous it looked on social media back then. Wish I would have known this earlier

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 6:02 pm
amother [ Dahlia ] wrote:
Yup. Completely agree. I chose a certain kind of life based off someone else’s on Facebook (a rebbitzen) many years ago and now hate it. Unfortunately can’t just get rid of it but it’s not me, however glamorous it looked on social media back then. Wish I would have known this earlier
This commonly happens in real life too. People see the highlights of a lifestyle (by love the Shabbos Seudahs)and choose it without seeing the good the bad and the ugly. Im sorry and hope you find inner peace.

singleagain

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:03 pm
Time for this again

giftedmom

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:16 pm
I don’t follow a single influencer. I do follow many of the brands themselves. As well as some of my friends, and the occasional nonprofit or musician. A lot more straightforward that way. It’s not insta, it’s who you follow.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 7:54 pm
giftedmom wrote:
I don’t follow a single influencer. I do follow many of the brands themselves. As well as some of my friends, and the occasional nonprofit or musician. A lot more straightforward that way. It’s not insta, it’s who you follow.

People. Did you know you can choose who shows up in your feed??
Also its called a feed bc it feeds your subconsciousness. Go on a diet, curate what you follow.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 8:48 pm
Dh is very good friends with a major female influencers husband.

The behind the scenes of what really goes on is sad and pathetic. Like many cases her husband and kids are her puppets and objects...

Recently a heartfelt plea was released from a child of an insta star (now a young teen) where she was sharing the pain of her childhood and many parts of her private life being used to promote her moms account.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:00 pm
amother [ Valerian ] wrote:
Dh is very good friends with a major female influencers husband.

The behind the scenes of what really goes on is sad and pathetic. Like many cases her husband and kids are her puppets and objects...

Recently a heartfelt plea was released from a child of an insta star (now a young teen) where she was sharing the pain of her childhood and many parts of her private life being used to promote her moms account.

Some frum influencers don’t post their children and spouses.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices -> Social Media