Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
S/O why do people like colonial homes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:29 pm
So I know this is just me being extra sensitive and anxious-I totally am aware BUT:
I very much wanted a colonial but in the current market and super expensive frum town we were looking our budget could only include ranches and splits. I had to let go of my dream and decided I can be happy with whatever and I’ll get used to it. BH we found an extended hi ranch on a beautiful street that has a lot of potential once we fix it up. I grew up with bedrooms upstairs so it’s a foreign concept to me. Does anyone actually live in a ranch or something similar and is actually really happy with it? Or were you eventually able to adjust even if you didn’t like it at first?
PS this is our second and I hope forever home we are 40

nicole81

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I know this is just me being extra sensitive and anxious-I totally am aware BUT:
I very much wanted a colonial but in the current market and super expensive frum town we were looking our budget could only include ranches and splits. I had to let go of my dream and decided I can be happy with whatever and I’ll get used to it. BH we found an extended hi ranch on a beautiful street that has a lot of potential once we fix it up. I grew up with bedrooms upstairs so it’s a foreign concept to me. Does anyone actually live in a ranch or something similar and is actually really happy with it? Or were you eventually able to adjust even if you didn’t like it at first?
PS this is our second and I hope forever home we are 40

At around the same age, I'd also be happy with a ranch (if it were large enough) for a forever home. I do think about all my walking up and down the stairs and how that's going to feel as the years go on. I think if you're happy with the home, it's a smart move.

FWIW, I've seen some gorgeous ranch homes in the past on Zillow in the Baltimore area. Seems more popular there. The key seems to be demarcating the different spaces with furniture set up that doesn't close everything off, but still makes the different areas clear.

If you have the space, I'd also designate a room that the kids should play in that was away from the bedrooms so you can have quiet if you like to nap on shabbat.

tichellady

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 9:48 pm
I like mine. it’s easy and great with little kids and older people not to have stairs. our house feels cozy to me. not that I don’t like colonials, I would have bought one, but this has worked out for us

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Aug 11 2022, 10:29 pm
All the fancy house are ranches where I live. I wish I could have bought a ranch!

I have a cape cod (1 room upstairs, 2 on main level) and it's not an ideal layout but over the years we put in time and effort and money to improve pieces and parts and now it's beautiful and I love it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating