Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Polio in NYC wastewater
1  2  3  4  5  Next

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:43 pm
It’s here. https://www.foxnews.com/health.....s-say

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:45 pm
The next health emergency coming right up. Get the vaccines and masks ready...

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:53 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
The next health emergency coming right up. Get the vaccines and masks ready...

Not sure how old you are that you think polio is funny. It crippled my grandmother

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:54 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Not sure how old you are that you think polio is funny. It crippled my grandmother

Where did I say I found it funny?

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:55 pm
Where did I say I found it funny?

Your comment wasn’t meant to be sarcastic? Could have fooled me

Last edited by vintagebknyc on Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

giftedmom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:56 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

Or that we need to get the vaccines ready. All schoolchildren are fully vaccinated for polio.

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 1:57 pm
giftedmom wrote:
Or that we need to get the vaccines ready. All schoolchildren are fully vaccinated for polio.

Not the ones who get fake doctors notes or are homeschooled.

giftedmom

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:01 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
Not the ones who get fake doctors notes or are homeschooled.

Everything is fully automated here. There’s no notes. As soon as my kids get a shot, the system gets updated, and their school can see it right away.
And yes I said schoolchildren so children who are in school. I don’t know anyone who homeschools. Then again if someone goes to these lengths to not vaccinate their kids possible paralysis is on them. But no reason for regular people to panic.

amother
Kiwi

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:03 pm
Doesn’t this wastewater thing come up every few years?

Rubies

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:08 pm
Any danger to vaccinated individuals?

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:10 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
Doesn’t this wastewater thing come up every few years?

Not with polio.

The fact that it is turning up in Rockland/Orange County and NYC is disturbing because polio was pretty near extinct in the US until recently.

It is because the level of vaccination has gone below the point where there is herd immunity.

If you were vaccinated as a child you are fully protected and wouldn't shed any virus into waste water or - obviously - contract the disease.

Like many diseases it can present as a mild form except for those people who come in contact with the virus and get a severe case and wind up paralyzed like the guy who caught it a few weeks ago or even dead.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:17 pm
If the vaccine works then those who are vaccinate should be protected.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:18 pm
If the vaccine works then those who are vaccinate should be protected.

Of course - what is your point.

The problem is that there are some people who are not vaccinated and they are vulnerable. In some counties the level of vaccination is only about 60% which means many people can catch the disease.

I am fully vaccinated so I am not worried for myself or my family.

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:19 pm
Why are we panicking? I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to attend school without all my vaccines. Isn't polio a required vaccine?

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:21 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Why are we panicking? I'm pretty sure I wasn't allowed to attend school without all my vaccines. Isn't polio a required vaccine?

As a public health issue, it is problematic because levels of vaccination in certain areas is quite low which means there are a lot of people who are potentially vulnerable to catching polio.

Public health is intended to prevent disease - I.e. by educating people so they will get vaccinated.

As posted, vaccination is required by law for children but if you homeschool or go to a school that looks the other way, I imagine there would be unvaccinated children in high numbers.

Also children below the age of five might not be in school and therefore might not be vaccinated but they would still be vulnerable to catching the disease.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:32 pm
Most of us are vaccinated, and those who aren't should be allowed to make choices for themselves. We are protected by the vaccines. Unvaccinated people therefore pose no risk to us and their choices are none of our business.

Just by the way- less than one percent of polio cases result in paralysis.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:35 pm
Polio is caused by one of three types of poliovirus, which are members of the Enterovirus genus.

In about 95% of all polio cases, the person has no symptoms.
These are known as asymptomatic cases. The rest of polio cases can be divided into three types: abortive polio, non-paralytic polio, and paralytic polio.

Abortive polio: In these cases, polio is a mild illness, with viral-like symptoms such as fever, fatigue, headache, sore throat, nausea, and diarrhea.

Non-paralytic polio: These cases typically involve the symptoms of abortive polio, with additional neurological symptoms, such as sensitivity to light and neck stiffness.

Paralytic polio: The first signs of paralytic polio, after an initial period of viral-like symptoms, typically begin with loss of superficial reflexes and muscle pain or spasms. Paralysis, usually asymmetric, follows. Fewer than 1%-2% of people who contract polio become paralyzed. In most cases of paralytic polio, the patient recovers completely. However, lifelong paralysis or muscle weakness remains for many people.

octopus

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:38 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:
Most of us are vaccinated, and those who aren't should be allowed to make choices for themselves. We are protected by the vaccines. Unvaccinated people therefore pose no risk to us and their choices are none of our business.

Don't downplay the devastating effects of polio. Or how it effects the limbs long term even if someone is able to recover. I am worried. my baby has some polio vaccines and didn't finish the series yet .

Crookshanks

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
As a public health issue, it is problematic because levels of vaccination in certain areas is quite low which means there are a lot of people who are potentially vulnerable to catching polio.

Public health is intended to prevent disease - I.e. by educating people so they will get vaccinated.

As posted, vaccination is required by law for children but if you homeschool or go to a school that looks the other way, I imagine there would be unvaccinated children in high numbers.

Also children below the age of five might not be in school and therefore might not be vaccinated but they would still be vulnerable to catching the disease.

Got it, thanks. I didn't realize some people don't vaccinate for polio. I thought we crossed that bridge a long time ago Rolling Eyes

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Aug 12 2022, 2:52 pm
amother [ DarkYellow ] wrote:

Innocent children shouldn’t be put in harms way because everyone else decided their parents should be able to make choices.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics