Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Beer Sheva
1  2  3  Next

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:28 pm
We are already in Israel and looking to purchase ASAP but getting less and less particular. Price is a huge factor. I've heard wonderful things about Beer Sheva. Please tell me more, specially about:

Housing

Schooling (and special Ed)

Job market

Medical care for complex cases

Need for a car

Average salary needed per month for a family of 5.

Thanks!

chanchy123

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:33 pm
Are you sure you want to purchase a home in a new town without renting there first?
I don’t have personal experience with the city but there is a big medical center there that might suit your needs.
I don’t know how many Anglos live there nowadays.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:41 pm
It's a city, not a yishuv, so there is a good public transport system, and trains to the rest of the country. I would think you can get around quite well without a car.

It's in the south, and generally hot. I don't think there's much of an English speaking community, and there are probably more Arabs than you are used to seeing around.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:51 pm
I was told there are plenty of English speakers. Is that not true?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:52 pm
You can ask around for info on this email.
anglobeersheba@groups.io

FB pages here and below. - Secret Be'er Sheva

Anglo Support Network in Israel

You can post here or look for work.- FB ISRAELB JOB CENTER

All these links have interesting and good info. -- Young Couples Without Millions, Looking for a Nice Community in Israel

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:53 pm
Thanks !

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:56 pm
I want to reiterate what chanchy mentioned. Are you sure you want to purchase a home before youve lived there a bit to see if thats really where you want to stay?

SG18

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 2:58 pm
I live near near Be'er Sheva. I can't speak much about your specific needs, as I'm a recent oleh and haven't been here long, but a few things:
1. The weather is great here. Low 90s, no humidity, every day from the end of March until at least September-October, and very mild even as it moves into winter. It's more pleasant here than when I've been in Jerusalem/Bet Shemesh
2. There are more Arabs in Be'er Sheva, but it hasn't really bothered us personally- everyone's going about their lives, it doesn't feel threatening. We ended up at the supermarket right by Ikea that had a lot of Arabs and no one looked twice at us
3. There's a Facebook group called Secret Be'er Sheva that's Anglo that might be worthwhile to check out
4. The medical center is called Soroka, if you're interested in looking into that more

Nefesh B'Nefesh contact in Be'er Sheva: Chani Goldblatt
chani.g@kivunim7.co.il

Sorry I don't know more! We live in a lovely smaller city nearby, but there isn't an Anglo community here, so I'm not sure it would fit your needs.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:18 pm
Thanks. Mixed cities are okay. Sounds like some are safer/more peaceful than others?

I joined a few facebook groups, or tried to anyway. Pending approval.

Yes, I'm willing to purchase without renting first. I'm very worried about getting priced out of the housing market in Israel. Beer Sheva is one of the very few places I think we can afford, with a mortgage.

What's the job market like for English speakers?

Realistically how fast could we get to Jerusalem if needed?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:21 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Thanks. Mixed cities are okay. Sounds like some are safer/more peaceful than others?

I joined a few facebook groups, or tried to anyway. Pending approval.

Yes, I'm willing to purchase without renting first. I'm very worried about getting priced out of the housing market in Israel. Beer Sheva is one of the very few places I think we can afford, with a mortgage.

What's the job market like for English speakers?

Definitely over an hour.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:24 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Definitely over an hour.

That's not so terrible. I was getting app estimates between 1.5 to 3 hours. Hard to know without ever having made the trip. I'm thinking if I need to go to to Jerusalem for neurology a few times a year, for example, that's not terrible. We'd probably need a closer job market though, or remote options.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:25 pm
It takes me over an hour, sometimes closer to 2, to get from Kochav Yaakov to most places in Jerusalem as it is...

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:26 pm
Also, let's say we live there for a while and decide to move.. at least we'd have something to sell and money to move with.

sequoia

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:30 pm
Dimona is nearby so that would be a negative for me.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:54 pm
Alright...

Not ruling it out yet, but I guess I'll keep thinking.

There's a building project in the yeshuv neighboring mine. Not sure if we're a good for that yeshuv, but if we are, I really like the idea. Problem is, we might not be accepted. I like yeshuv life. I like the smaller neighborhood feel.

Kiwi13

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 3:55 pm
sequoia wrote:
Dimona is nearby so that would be a negative for me.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the problem with Dimona?

amother
Pewter

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 6:11 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the problem with Dimona?

Dimona is known for its nuclear research center, I imagine that's what she's referring to

amother
Navyblue

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 8:15 pm
Quote:

The bus takes an hour and a half when there is no traffic. Add in travel time to and from the tachana merkazit in both cities as necessary.

For some reason I have the impression that the frum community there is mostly sephardi.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 8:33 pm
Have you considered Karmiel?

chanchy123

Post Sat, Aug 13 2022, 10:13 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
That's not so terrible. I was getting app estimates between 1.5 to 3 hours. Hard to know without ever having made the trip. I'm thinking if I need to go to to Jerusalem for neurology a few times a year, for example, that's not terrible. We'd probably need a closer job market though, or remote options.

Do you mean by public transportation? That would definitely be more than an hour.
If you buy in an area that has a thriving rental market, worse comes to worse, you can rent your apartment out and live somewhere else - that’s very common in Israel.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions