Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Packing help!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 9:08 am
This is my first time going away with my 3 children for such a long time (ages 3-9), and I’m feeling lost
We are first going someplace for shabbos - just bringing food, the place has shabbos items and linen etc
That will be Friday - Sunday
Sunday afternoon - Wednesday night we are going to another place, an Airbnb that doesn’t have any kosher amenities, I need to bring it all
Should I pack separately for these 2 parts of the trip? Anyone has a list for when going away and bringing food, cooking utensils etc?
I don’t want to overpack but also don’t want to forget anything important
Thanks in advance!

amother
Lemonlime

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 9:16 am
First: does the Shabbos place have a place to store food for you in the fridge and freezer? If so, shop for that before Shabbos. If not, shop for it where you are on Sunday. You should bring a cooler and ice packs.

Depending what you plan to eat on vacation and if the oven is self cleaning (find out) and if you can use the stove (depends what kind and what your rav holds- we kasher electric and gas but not glass-top, which a lot of airbnb stoves are): if you can use the stove, bring a milchig frying pan and a pot. Don't forget a spatula and big spoon. Bring or buy there some large tupperwares. You can use this to kasher the microwave (if you do that), and then make pasta and other foods in the microwave (so might not need the large pot.) This is also good for frozen waffles, etc. Bring foil pans (or buy there, but more expensive) and anything you would put on your frozen meat or chicken or burgers that you can't buy in a regular supermarket. If you can't use the oven but can use the stove, bring the pans you need to cook. Bring a decent milchig and fleishig knife. Bring dairy if you need to, and bread if you need to.

ETA- if you are driving and have space in the car, it's better to overpack than underpack for food and utensils.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 10:14 am
Also when I do a trip over Pesach and I need to bring a lot of food, I make 3 separate cardboard boxes. One has the fleishig food, one has the milchig food and snack bags, and one just has paper goods like plates, cups, cutlery, real knife and peeler, aluminum tins as well as the frying pan and burner. I also pack dishwashing soap, paper towels, sponges, and when it’s not Pesach I have a plug in hot water heater to make coffee and also a fleishig sink insert so that I can just rest my pan/cutlery there while washing dishes.

In America you can buy fruits and vegetables when you get there. Also most grain products and dairy products depending on what your minhag is.

Recently I went on vacation to a camping trip and I needed to pack bags of ice and there was no cooking facility. I packed iced coffees in a bag of ice and also cans of Bartenura wine for the evening, also in ice.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Aug 15 2022, 1:23 pm
Suitcase packing list
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....art=0

Shabbos utensils list when bringing your own food
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47080

Weekday utensils list when bringing your own food
Food, condiments, drinks and snacks (make a full menu so you don't forget anything)
Disposable pans for mixing, serving
Matches if bringing disposable grill
Knife
Salt
Oil or dressing
Plates
Bowls
Cutlery
Cups
Napkins
Paper towels
Deli containers for lunch on the go