Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby led weaning NEW QUESTION
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:11 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Also I don't understand all the things that say that you eat together. I can't eat together even if I put the foods down I still need to supervise, see if he wants more of a certain food, needs water... He needs my attention then.

Why can't you eat while you do that?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:13 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I hear, ok. But if I make for dinner chicken, rice and vegies and he only eats the rice then I feel like he's still hungry...

Also what are ideas for lunch? I give him basically bread because I don't have the energy to prepare a meal but are there easy things that can give him variety?

Don’t waste time on bread. Cheese, fish sticks, frozen pancakes/ waffles/ pizza you can warm up. Cold pasta from the fridge

amother
RosePink

amother cornflower wrote:
Why can't you eat while you do that?

I don't know, maybe because it's my first so I'm more uptight about it? (actually it's twins, so there's another baby too... ) I just find it more calm to eat later and just focus on them while they eat.

amother
RosePink

amother Lemon wrote:
Don’t waste time on bread. Cheese, fish sticks, frozen pancakes/ waffles/ pizza you can warm up. Cold pasta from the fridge

why is bread wasting time?

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:14 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
what do I do if my baby is picky with foods? I try to offer him chicken but he won't eat it.

I've been doing blw, just based on things I've heard about it.

Also does blw align with DOR?

If he doesn't like it, keep offering when you have it. It can take a lot of exposure before kids like something (and they may never).

It absolutely aligns with DOR. Yay DOR!

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:15 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
No not in one meal. I would give a protein, veggie, fruit and carb. I did rotate proteins and tried to offer different ones each day. I did omelettes cut in strips, meatballs, different types of chicken…

got it thanks.
And everything goes on their tray at the same time?

I sometimes find they get overwhelmed if there's too many things so I'll put first the first item and then second.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:17 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
If he doesn't like it, keep offering when you have it. It can take a lot of exposure before kids like something (and they may never).

It absolutely aligns with DOR. Yay DOR!

ok, that's cool. I like the concept of DOR. Never had the time to really look into these things in depth so trying to swing it based on things I hear.

One baby had some feeding issues so I was told BLW is not the best approach for him. The other baby I've done it more. But wondering if at this point since he's doing better I can let him own the process more.

amother
cornflower

amother RosePink wrote:
got it thanks.

I sometimes find they get overwhelmed if there's too many things so I'll put first the first item and then second.

What gives you the idea that they're overwhelmed? In general it's good to get used to having a variety, the way we all eat.

amother
Lemon

amother RosePink wrote:
why is bread wasting time?

I just don't believe in it lol I think it's just empty carbs.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:18 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
got it thanks.

Officially yes, you want to put down a least 2 or 3 things at once so baby can have variety and make choices.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:18 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
I just don't believe in it lol I think it's just empty carbs.

I hear you but it's just the easiest food. Take bread, put shmear and done. That's why I'm wondering if there are easier alternatives.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:19 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
got it thanks.

Yeah I did put all on the tray at the same time. But if I had a baby only eat the carbs and ignore the rest I would probably offer protein first and then the carbs after they were done.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:19 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Yeah I did put all on the tray at the same time. But if I had a baby only eat the carbs and ignore the rest I would probably offer protein first and then the carbs after they were done.

I would not. Well, I guess that's where DOR comes in...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:20 pm
Bread is a very "beige" food. Beige foods are the ones that kids with restricted eating tend to gravitate towards... Dryish, beige carbs. There's nothing wrong with those foods necessarily, but when they're served very often without enough variety, the babies don't have enough exposure to other textures and flavor profiles.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:21 pm
amother Lemon wrote:

so this is what I do sometimes but I feel like in a way it shows them the carbs is a "reward" for eating the protein. But when I put it together they pick out the carbs and won't eat the protein. I guess it's a matter of trusting them more to eat what is good for them.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:23 pm
have any of you done this with a child with feeding issues? As in low muscle tone in mouth and sensory issues where they dislike many textures and flavors ? The feeding therapists I have spoken to don't feel like it's a good approach for a child with feeding issues but I'm curious if anyone's done it...

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:25 pm
I also have a hard time knowing whether I should give less bottles. sometimes they'll drink only a few ounces but then come back for more. And I guess if I were to give them a solid snack then they may not drink it at all.

Thanks for all the advice here!!

amother
RosePink

amother cornflower wrote:
Bread is a very "beige" food. Beige foods are the ones that kids with restricted eating tend to gravitate towards... Dryish, beige carbs. There's nothing wrong with those foods necessarily, but when they're served very often without enough variety, the babies don't have enough exposure to other textures and flavor profiles.

thanks, very interesting. Good to know.

amother
Lemon

amother RosePink wrote:
have any of you done this with a child with feeding issues? As in low muscle tone in mouth and sensory issues where they dislike many textures and flavors ? The feeding therapists I have spoken to don't feel like it's a good approach for a child with feeding issues but I'm curious if anyone's done it...

I believe the exact opposite. Spoon feeding mush makes those issues worse. My preemie with feeding issues was spoon fed and I really regret it. She didn’t learn to eat properly until 3.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:28 pm
amother RosePink wrote:

Unless there's a specific safety/ swallowing concern, this is the absolute best approach for a baby with those concerns.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics