Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby led weaning NEW QUESTION
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:28 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
I believe the exact opposite. Spoon feeding mush makes those issues worse. My preemie with feeding issues was spoon fed and I really regret it. She didn’t learn to eat properly until 3.

I don't know if you need to regret it. I'm on a preemie chat and someone shared that she tried blw with her preemie and it didn't work. And the feeding therapist I spoke to is a really exprienced professional, she said those children need that help to transition. Blw may have worked, but it also may have not.

Here's a good article on it from a feeding therapist

https://yourkidstable.com/baby.....cons/

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:32 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
I don't know if you need to regret it. I'm on a preemie chat and someone shared that she tried blw with her preemie and it didn't work. And the feeding therapist I spoke to is a really exprienced professional, she said those children need that help to transition. Blw may have worked, but it also may have not.

This article supports blw.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:34 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
This article supports blw.

she advocates a combined approach for children with feeding issues.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:38 pm
amother RosePink wrote:

I'm not impressed by her cons. She describes parents who aren't doing BLW the right way--why avoid purées? Why wait until 12 months? Why give choking hazards? I have never seen a BLW advocate recommend such things.

(Well, in BLW we do avoid purées that we wouldn't eat as adults. What's the value in a baby eating that stuff? I give my babies things like yogurt and applesauce from the start. It's messy but I don't care.)

And when she says that she did a combined approach, even the BLW part doesn't sound like BLW. She didn't want her kid to bite off pieces--in other words, she was afraid of choking in situations that did not carry a particular choking risk. When she says that a lot of traditional weaning parents unfortunately let their fear guide them? She did that too.

(I think she did fine. She fed her child, it's all good. I'm just not impressed by this article.)

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:01 pm
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I've done this with three out of my five kids. Wish I'd done it with the first two.

For early foods, I prefer soft but solid foods cut into french fry shape/size. So sweet potato sticks are usually the first food I try. I also make ground beef and ground turkey/chicken into finger-shapes and bake them like little meatloafs. Since they're not getting the iron-fortified baby food, I really like to get meat into them early.

Sliced soft pears or summer fruits are good, and bananas/melons if they don't get too frustrated with them. A tip if these things keep slipping out of their hands -- you can actually buy the baby cereal stuff just for coating slippery foods so that they're easier for your child to hold!

Toasted whole grain bread (soft bread is easier to clump together and become a choking hazard, so I like to toast it first) and healthier crackers are good. If you spread peanut butter or something on them, make sure it's a really thin layer.

Cooked veggies like green beans, carrots, things like that are good. You can melt cheese on rice cakes or just give them a slice to try.

These are all for the really early days when they're just starting out. With time, you can give them almost anything you're eating, other than blended soups or yogurts or applesauce (until they can use a spoon -- I don't spoonfeed, but I'll use loaded spoons once they get a bit better at eating) or choking hazards like hotdogs or whole nuts or whole grapes. Everything else is fair game, but I find it's so much easier and less stressful at the beginning if I use some of the foods listed above.

I hope I was able to help! I find BLW so much easier than traditional weaning was with my first two. I initially started it because my third child hated purees, but now I just find it so much more enjoyable for me, for baby, and for the rest of the family. So much less stressful.

This. Did it with 2 kids and it's amazing. I have the Solid Starts app and I look everything up to make sure I'm serving it safely.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:03 pm
What's dor??
Also, can you all recommend stuff that help prevent to much of a mess? What kind of bibs? Do plates that stick to tray help or not necessary?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:05 pm
I us d the silicone bibs with a little pocket in front. The babies learn to look in the pocket for any food that dropped Smile

I prefer to put food straight on the tray. It needs to get washed anyway and more room to explore.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:07 pm
How do you wash the bib? I don't have a dishwasher

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do you wash the bib? I don't have a dishwasher

In the sink

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:11 pm
I guess that was a silly q embarrassed
Was just thinking how cloth sounds easier bc just throw it in the wash
But do you still think silicone is better?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:13 pm
The silicone washes very quickly and easily in the sink. Also if they spill it doesn't soak through to their clothing. And you don't need a million of them. Plus the pocket saves a ton of cleanup.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess that was a silly q embarrassed
Was just thinking how cloth sounds easier bc just throw it in the wash
But do you still think silicone is better?

The silicone pocket bib is a million times better. Babies drop food. Instead of coating a cloth bib in gunk, as well as the baby's lower shirt and lap, the food simply falls into the pocket!! You can put the food back on the tray. The baby soon learns to do it themselves.

And all the mess rinses off easily afterward. I find that cloth bibs end up gross and I feel obligated to work with them in the sink anyway before tossing them in the machine.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:16 pm
I bought puppy pads. If we are having a messy sticky dinner like rice, or if I just mopped the kitchen floor, I will put one down under the highchair. .Usually the silicone pocket bibs are enough.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:18 pm
Thank you all this is so super helpful Hug

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:47 pm
What about a smoch kind of material cloth with a pocket?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 10:56 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
What about a smoch kind of material cloth with a pocket?

The pocket doesn't really hang open the way the silicone does. So it doesn't catch much.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:02 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Also I don't understand all the things that say that you eat together. I can't eat together even if I put the foods down I still need to supervise, see if he wants more of a certain food, needs water... He needs my attention then.

It’s the best because you really can sit down and eat with your baby vs. spoon feeding and having your hands busy with that. Yeah my baby needs my attention, yes I’m busy and getting up to give him things during the meal. But I certainly am able to eat. So I eat and watch him eat.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
What's dor??
Also, can you all recommend stuff that help prevent to much of a mess? What kind of bibs? Do plates that stick to tray help or not necessary?

We use the smock kind of bibs with the sleeves. They get washed off in the washing machine and keep the clothing pretty clean.

I just put the food right onto the tray if the baby is really young.

rowo

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 11:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
What's dor??

It’s messy! But that’s part of the learning experience for the babies. The tactile sensory immersion in the food.
The throwing food on the floor is another story - more of a parenting discussion.
But be prepared for mess.
However the upside - I’ve found - is toddlers who can feed themselves properly with cutlery, and the really messy stage only lasts a few months.

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 9:26 am
what kind of things do you serve for breakfast for 12 month olds?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics