Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Buffalo vs. Rochester for Niagara Falls trip?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:01 pm
Hi,

Which city has better access to shuls and kosher food? My son will want to daven with a minyan 3x a day. (Only for weekdays, we won’t be there for Shabbos)

Thanks!

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi,

Which city has better access to shuls and kosher food? My son will want to daven with a minyan 3x a day. (Only for weekdays, we won’t be there for Shabbos)

Thanks!

Rochester has multiple shuls with daily minyanim. Definitely better for minyanim in Rochester.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:13 pm
Buffalo is pretty close (about 20 minutes). We stayed in Amherst actually - very close to shul and supermarket with kosher deli. DH was able to go to shacharis and then mincha/maariv at the Young Israel.

Food in Buffalo is limited, but we were able to make due for a few days. Probably more food in Rochester, but it’s a farther trip back and forth.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:54 pm
Buffalo has a great kosher situation with the deli and bakery in Tops, not sure what else. Rochester has a bakery, a small kosher deli store with some limited groceries, pizza sometimes (must be ordered in advance), and the cafe at the University of Rochester. Also if you are not makpid on chalav Yisrael there’s a new ice cream store I heard is amazing but haven’t tried yet.
There are multiple minyanim to choose from - sfardi, two Ashkenaz, yeshiva, chabad.

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:57 pm
tryinghard wrote:
Buffalo has a great kosher situation with the deli and bakery in Tops, not sure what else. Rochester has a bakery, a small kosher deli store with some limited groceries, pizza sometimes (must be ordered in advance), and the cafe at the University of Rochester. Also if you are not makpid on chalav Yisrael there’s a new ice cream store I heard is amazing but haven’t tried yet.
There are multiple minyanim to choose from - sfardi, two Ashkenaz, yeshiva, chabad.

Multiple minyanim where?

Is the only option in buffalo 6:45 shacharis at young Israel?

tryinghard

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 8:08 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Multiple minyanim where?

Rochester has multiple minyanim, don’t know Buffalo

amother
Obsidian

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 8:10 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Multiple minyanim where?

those minyanim options are in rochester. I cant speak to buffalo.

amother
Firethorn

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 8:19 pm
It is definitely not worth traveling to Rochester 3x a day. Maybe if you want to sleep there and daven there in the morning before heading to the falls every day but for sure not for Mincha. It's between 1 to 1.5 hours each way if I recall correctly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics