Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Easy meals with nothing?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:51 pm
Going through a minor food crisis. Out of ground beef, all dairy. Saving our last chicken for Shabbos. We live OOT so no local way to buy dairy or meat. Out of bread. We used up all of my Shabbos challos.

Not much money right now so I can't go overboard on fresh veggies or eggs. Potatoes are getting really expensive so I am not using them as much. I am low energy so can't make too complicated food.

What can I make for suppers?

I have two pie crusts left (can't get more locally) which isn't really enough to make quiche for my bunch (I usually make at least 3) but it will have to do for one night.

My kids are not very particular (they love fruit and veggies) but they are simple eaters, don't like fancy or exotic flavors.

We recently have had bean soup, potato soup, scrambled eggs, and a lot of pasta (with sauce, with ketchup, plain, with margarine and spices...).

Basically any ingredients need to be the kinds that can be purchased in a major chain store grocery (Walmart in my case).

All ideas welcome, even if I can't use them there will probably be someone else who can!

shapeup613

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 6:59 pm
Rice and bean burritos
Stuffed peppers with rice and veggies
Quesadillas
Black bean tacos
Tuna pasta

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:09 pm
Baked ziti (if you can get cheese)
Tuna Patties

Btw I’ve noticed that frozen potatoes (French fries, etc) aren’t going up as fast as fresh. Maybe that’s an option.

Speak to the produce manager in any of your local stores and ask them what they do with the stuff that they pull out as no-longer sellable. It’s often still fine for cooking and sometimes they can give it to you for much cheaper/free.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:09 pm
What about canned salmon or tuna?

I just mix the canned salmon with teriyaki sauce and then make sushi salad using it.

I have a great vegan quinoa chili recipe I can send if your crew would eat it.

What about chumus (either bought or home made) with veggies and/or pita.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:11 pm
shapeup613 wrote:
Rice and bean burritos
Stuffed peppers with rice and veggies
Quesadillas
Black bean tacos
Tuna pasta

Thank you!

Can't get pas yisrael soft tortillas or wraps here, also no cheese for quesadillas, so maybe rice and bean (hard shell) tacos? Any recipes?

Is there a good recipe for pareve black bean tacos?

Out of tuna also unfortunately Sad

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:13 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
Baked ziti (if you can get cheese)
Tuna Patties

Btw I’ve noticed that frozen potatoes (French fries, etc) aren’t going up as fast as fresh. Maybe that’s an option.

Speak to the produce manager in any of your local stores and ask them what they do with the stuff that they pull out as no-longer sellable. It’s often still fine for cooking and sometimes they can give it to you for much cheaper/free.

No cheese or tuna left, baked ziti is a popular favorite here!

We can only get one brand of kosher fries here and it's over $7 for a 4 lb bag, which is a little crazy for an unhealthy side dish.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!

Can't get pas yisrael soft tortillas or wraps here, also no cheese for quesadillas, so maybe rice and bean (hard shell) tacos? Any recipes?

Is there a good recipe for pareve black bean tacos?

Out of tuna also unfortunately Sad

You can get soft corn tortillas also.

I'm eating my black bean taco now. I use a crock pot and put in black beans, salt, garlic cloves, oil, and let simmer. You can do that in a regular pan also.

The rice is cooked with tumeric, parika, onion powder and salt and oil

Top it with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, jalapeno, taco sauce.

ima22

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:17 pm
Pancakes and fresh fruit.

amother
OP

amother Apricot wrote:
What about canned salmon or tuna?

I just mix the canned salmon with teriyaki sauce and then make sushi salad using it.

I have a great vegan quinoa chili recipe I can send if your crew would eat it.

What about chumus (either bought or home made) with veggies and/or pita.

Out of canned fish, we only eat bishul yisrael so I usually need to buy in town.

My kids love quinoa salad (basically just quinoa and cukes plus dressing) but that's Shabbos food and don't want to downgrade it. If the chili is a kid fave and simple to make I'd love the recipe!

I haven't made chumus in years, I don't have tahini and it's CRAZY expensive locally. But maybe I'll put it on my "in town" shopping list so I can make it another time! (No pita or other bread, sadly.)

flmommy

We use corn tortillas for wraps and quesadillas.

amother
Blush

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:19 pm
Tuna or salmon patties
If you do decide to use eggs, this is a really easy quiche crust recipe: https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....amp=1
Pancakes, French toast
Lentil soup
Mujadara(sp?) (rice and lentil dish)
Peanut/sesame noodles with tofu/cabbage
Black bean burgers

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:20 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
You can get soft corn tortillas also.

I'm eating my black bean taco now. I use a crock pot and put in black beans, salt, garlic cloves, oil, and let simmer. You can do that in a regular pan also.

The rice is cooked with tumeric, parika, onion powder and salt and oil

Top it with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, jalapeno, taco sauce.

Thank you! That sounds like something we can try! Our crock pot is Alav Hashalom, but there are plenty of real pots Smile I'll probably just top with taco sauce because it's easier (don't tell my kids that there are other toppings).

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:20 pm
Mushroom barley soup
Lentil soup
Falafel using your own chickpeas

Tell us about your kashrut? You need bishul Yisrael tuna and canned fish? Cholov Yisrael. Pas Yisrael.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:23 pm
Sesame spaghetti
Fried rice

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Out of canned fish, we only eat bishul yisrael so I usually need to buy in town.

My kids love quinoa salad (basically just quinoa and cukes plus dressing) but that's Shabbos food and don't want to downgrade it. If the chili is a kid fave and simple to make I'd love the recipe!

I haven't made chumus in years, I don't have tahini and it's CRAZY expensive locally. But maybe I'll put it on my "in town" shopping list so I can make it another time! (No pita or other bread, sadly.)

I make chumus without techina and it’s really good!
I use canned chickpeas, but you can use home cooked, too. Blend with a bit of olive oil, some lemon juice, salt, garlic (powder, frozen or fresh-I like to use roasted and use the oil from them instead of the olive oil) and cumin. Make it as chunky or as smooth as you like. If I have avocado I’ll add that, too (then I call it guacamus).

You can make bread or pita (pita is actually pretty easy).

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:24 pm
You can make chummus without techina. Just the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and cumin. Make platters and top them with fried mushrooms and onions, hard boiled eggs.

Tofu is also very good. You can drain tofu and coat with corn starch. Fry the cubes and toss in your choice of sauce, sesame sauce, sweet and sour, teriyaki, whatever.

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:25 pm
Will no kosher grocery ship? How old are your kids?

Please buy eggs. If you feel comfortable posting an email I’m happy to send some money. Kids need eggs and protein and veggies.

Is there food stamps where you live?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:28 pm
You can also get the unbaked rolls from the freezer in Walmart (the Rhodes dinner rolls are ou pareve and very reasonably priced). Since they are raw & you bake them, pas yisroel is not an issue.

shapeup613

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:33 pm
https://thevoiceoflakewood.com/current-issue/
Go to page 184-186

shapeup613

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 7:35 pm
Also, if you have an Aldi near you they sell kosher vegan cheese that's good melted.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics