Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Food/ cooler/ traveling with flight to out of state for road

lba

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 10:25 pm
Has anyone flown for a family trip that they then need to drive and stay in multiple hotels over the trip (like road trip..
How did u pack and bring the food?
What did you bring to use in hotel with no kitchen?
How did u keep
Food cold/ frozen during days when touring/ traveling to next destination.
Basically- we are flying to Vegas- then driving to Utah and staying in few different locations some possibly with no kitchen. Not gonna be there for shabbos

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 10:56 pm
I haven't done as large scale as you but what we've done was for the fridge stuff had an ice chest in the trunk that we refilled with new ice by gas stations. we also started off the trip with some frozen milks/water etc so that we have it for longer. in the hotel - we've double wrapped food in their microwave. Used sandwich maker, betty crocker, george formans. nowadays almost all reg type hotels have fridges in the room and you can ask for a microwave. That was for road trips/hotels. For flying was a bit more complicated but we used a disposable cardboard box and triple layered it, with towels, icepacks etc and packaged with a million layers of tape. we bought as much as we could in local shoprites/groceries.

DrMom

Post Thu, Aug 18 2022, 10:59 pm
You can get kosher food in Vegas. Maye that will help reduce the amount of food you need to bring from your starting point.

For an itinerary like what you described, I stay in AirBnBs instead of hotels. That way I have a kitchen.

doctorima

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 10:45 am
Welcome to almost every big summer trip we've taken. We have a portable refrigerator/cooler that plugs into the car's cigarette lighter and also into regular outlets in the hotel. I fill it up with frozen food before the flight and put it into a duffle bag and check it as luggage. In the hotel certain foods get taken out and frozen, depending on the circumstances of our trip. We've had CY milk we brought from home in week 3 of trips that was still good after staying frozen for the first 2 weeks.

There are many brands available on Amazon for $100-$200, depending on how big you need it to be. There are also some that can actually freeze the food, though they cost more. Feel free to PM me for recommendations.

LK1

Post Mon, Aug 29 2022, 10:49 am
We took two cooler bags. One fridge and one freezer. I think all hotels have a mini fridge so we put things there overnight.

Stayed great and cold the whole trip.

Every trip right when we get there we stop at a Walmart, Stop n' shop ect. and stock up on food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics